Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cheap motherboard upgrade advice?

Reply
Thread Tools

cheap motherboard upgrade advice?

 
 
graviton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005

"Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dni6or$b14$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> So, consider this and hold off - you will only ever get more for less


Holding off is a never ending thing though, there is always something better
and cheaper later, although there certainly are times that are more optimun
than others which I presume is what you mean.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
graviton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005

"Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dni6or$b14$(E-Mail Removed)...
> misfit took words out of my mouth in his first post....
>
> The facts are that the BX chipset motherboards were not budget - Asus BX
> chipset boards are still famed for their reliability and performance.
> Putting this into perspective, you indicated you purchased the board

around
> 5 years ago, so that was at or after the end of its manufacturing life (IE
> price likely had dropped) when it had been superceeded by more often
> inferior quality & performance systems. Ecccch P4 first models
>


Thanks, but the problem is that both you and misfit are talking your own
philosophises rather than giving me answers in the context of my philosophy,
I totally understand and agree with your philosophy and that has been my
approach in the past but like I said this time around bottom dollar is
number one priority, i realise I don't get the best value but that is the
choice I have made.

> An A8N-E (or equiv) with a 3500+ venice core will thrash the pants off

what
> you have and what you are considering. Ditto A8V.


But will the setup I suggest be a lot better than my current one, that was
my question, once again i know I can do better with more dollars but that
was not my question.


> HTH
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
graviton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005

"Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dni6or$b14$(E-Mail Removed)...
> misfit took words out of my mouth in his first post....
>
> The facts are that the BX chipset motherboards were not budget - Asus BX
> chipset boards are still famed for their reliability and performance.
> Putting this into perspective, you indicated you purchased the board

around
> 5 years ago, so that was at or after the end of its manufacturing life (IE
> price likely had dropped) when it had been superceeded by more often
> inferior quality & performance systems. Ecccch P4 first models
>
> To imitate that quality of purchase would require looking for a comparable
> quality board that is at end of manfacture or near to about now.
>


So are you saying a board like i suggested will not compare in terms of
stability and reliability to my current board or are you once again
referring to performance?


 
Reply With Quote
 
graviton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005

"Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dni6or$b14$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Don't forget to budget in the resale of your trusty BX system - you may

get
> more for it than you think!
>


From what i have seen on trademe the replaced parts would not be worth
selling except for the memory.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mercury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005

"graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message
news:439ca057$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dni6or$b14$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> So, consider this and hold off - you will only ever get more for less

>
> Holding off is a never ending thing though, there is always something
> better
> and cheaper later, although there certainly are times that are more
> optimun
> than others which I presume is what you mean.


Exactly. A "Strategic purchase". It may not turn out that way, but I suspect
it will as AMD chips are most popular with gamers, enthusiasts, geeks like
me and a nice new system with hot performance invariably leads to people
flogging off their "old".

You obviously have a lot of patience anyway to hold onto the BX. I still
have a BX based server (Asus P2B-DS) from 1998 with dual P2 400's running 24
x 7 with relibability, so why should I change?


 
Reply With Quote
 
graviton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005

"Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dni843$dlp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "graviton" <graviton@gravity> wrote in message
> news:439ca057$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:dni6or$b14$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> So, consider this and hold off - you will only ever get more for less


> >
> > Holding off is a never ending thing though, there is always something
> > better
> > and cheaper later, although there certainly are times that are more
> > optimun
> > than others which I presume is what you mean.

>
> Exactly. A "Strategic purchase". It may not turn out that way, but I

suspect
> it will as AMD chips are most popular with gamers, enthusiasts, geeks like
> me and a nice new system with hot performance invariably leads to

people
> flogging off their "old".
>
> You obviously have a lot of patience anyway to hold onto the BX. I still
> have a BX based server (Asus P2B-DS) from 1998 with dual P2 400's running

24
> x 7 with relibability, so why should I change?
>


It's more that i have not needed anything faster until now, now that I am
making dvd's from home movies shot on a digital hi8 camera(not the new ones
that compress the video to dvd format on the fly) I would prefer some more
speed.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
graviton wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> graviton wrote:
>>> The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it
>>> has a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very
>>> cheap upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron
>>> but for the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has
>>> been almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
>>> dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
>>> would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
>>> common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
>>> motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
>>> reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things
>>> have changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade
>>> but do not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
>>> motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
>>> secondly asrock motherboards,

>
>> If you gave me that Asrock board I'd pull the heatsink off the
>> northbridge and put it in my 'bits' drawer and throw the rest in the
>> rubbish. Or sell it on Trademe. <g>

>
> Yeah but if you only had the choice between my current cpu and
> motherboard and the asrock and sempron cpu what would you do then?


Actually, if that were the only choice..... It would depend on how long I
wanted it to last. Your current system has lasted 5 years, and will probably
last another 5. (With electronics, if they don't fail early, and you don't
let them get hot/dirty, then they run 'for ever'). Hard to know with the
Asrock. Also, would depend on whether the P3 is a Katmai or a Coppermine.


I really like the BX440 chipset and don't like VIA. Put it this way... I
have three Tualatin Celerons, all over 1Ghz. I have two BX boards and have
bought adapters to run two of the Tuis in them. The third Tui is sitting on
the shelf, in a VIA board, gathering dust. I am, however, running a
Coppermine 900 (128k L2) in a BX board that I can't run the other Tui in, in
preference to a 1.2 GHz Tui (256k L2) running on a VIA chipset.
--
~misfit~
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
graviton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> graviton wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> graviton wrote:
> >>> The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it
> >>> has a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very
> >>> cheap upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron
> >>> but for the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has
> >>> been almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
> >>> dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
> >>> would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
> >>> common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
> >>> motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
> >>> reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things
> >>> have changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade
> >>> but do not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
> >>> motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
> >>> secondly asrock motherboards,

> >
> >> If you gave me that Asrock board I'd pull the heatsink off the
> >> northbridge and put it in my 'bits' drawer and throw the rest in the
> >> rubbish. Or sell it on Trademe. <g>

> >
> > Yeah but if you only had the choice between my current cpu and
> > motherboard and the asrock and sempron cpu what would you do then?

>
> Actually, if that were the only choice..... It would depend on how long I
> wanted it to last. Your current system has lasted 5 years, and will

probably
> last another 5. (With electronics, if they don't fail early, and you don't
> let them get hot/dirty, then they run 'for ever'). Hard to know with the
> Asrock. Also, would depend on whether the P3 is a Katmai or a Coppermine.
>


Will it's been a while since i have thought about it, but it is not a
coppermine and it is a slot 1 550MHz.

> I really like the BX440 chipset and don't like VIA. Put it this way... I
> have three Tualatin Celerons, all over 1Ghz. I have two BX boards and have
> bought adapters to run two of the Tuis in them. The third Tui is sitting

on
> the shelf, in a VIA board, gathering dust. I am, however, running a
> Coppermine 900 (128k L2) in a BX board that I can't run the other Tui in,

in
> preference to a 1.2 GHz Tui (256k L2) running on a VIA chipset.
> --
> ~misfit~


Are your bx boards slot1?


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
graviton wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> graviton wrote:
>>> The last motherboard I bought was a asus bx chipset based one, it
>>> has a p3 550MHz slot 1 cpu in it and I am looking to make a very
>>> cheap upgrade based on a sempron cpu, i may consider intel celeron
>>> but for the moment I will just take one thing at a time. As it has
>>> been almost 5 years since I did any hardware upgrades apart from a
>>> dvdwriter I am very out of date with computer hardware knowledge so
>>> would appreciate some advice from people with both experience and
>>> common sense and without a bandwagon to push. When I bought my last
>>> motherboard you really had to go with a intel based chipset for
>>> reliability and therefore a intel cpu, I hope and suspect things
>>> have changed. Baring in mind i want to make a very cheap upgrade
>>> but do not want to loose the reliability that I have with my current
>>> motherboard I would like opinions on firstly via chipsets and
>>> secondly asrock motherboards,

>>

> . As is the 1.5GHz,
>> cheapest you can possibly get, CPU. That system will run XP about as
>> fast as your P3 550 runs 98.
>>

> Surely not? Do I understand correctly, are you saying just the os
> won't run any faster but applications will?


No, applications will be slow as well. That is, if you intend to change from
98 to XP. If you're going to run the same OS on both machines then the
Sempron will be noticably faster.

>> No, only the fastest one was 64 bit last I heard. The rest are just
>> re-named Socket A Athlon XPs. AMD didn't want the Athlon name
>> associated with slower chips (but were still selling lots of them)
>> so came up with 'Sempron'. Then it made one of them 64bit to give
>> the name cred. The Sempron 2200+ CPU is basically an Athlon XP1700+
>> (Soooo 2001) running on a faster FSB.
>>

> Thanks.


No problem. Most of the Sempron Range is basically just the old Athlon 32
bit Socket A CPUs renamed (about 25% higher rating to compare with Celerons)
and running on a faster FSB

>> Well, AMD 64 bit CPUs will only fit in mobos designed for them. So
>> your question is moot.
>> --

>
> So your saying they won't fit in motherboards designed for the socket
> A athlon xp cpu's and non 64 bit semprons?


That is exactly what I'm saying. It's a completely different socket, chipset
and architecture. Just the one Sempron is actually 64 bit (unless my info is
out of date, I haven't checked), a cut down version of a slow Athlon 64,
and, like I said, I believe AMD only did that to give the range some "street
cred". Otherwise they're just re-named and re-rated Athlon XPs. (using the
Thornton core).

IMO you'd be better off trying to find someone who has/is upgrading their
Barton/nForce2 system and buying that off them than buying what amounts to
pretty much the slowest new system on the planet. A Barton/nF2 system would
be lots faster than your proposed Sempron/VIA purchase and there are a lot
of people who must upgrade at least once a year who will have a Barton/nF2
assembly they are getting rid of in favour of an Athlon 64. Might even
include RAM. Try a post in nz.wanted (and/or here), you might be pleasantly
surprised.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
Bret wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:21:38 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
> wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> A 2600+ is probably the fastest sempron I will buy, I presume this
>> is as fast as the athlonxp+ 2600, or is it better?

>
> No .
>
> Sempron:
>
> SDA2600DUT3D 2600+ 1833 11x 333MHz Socket-A
> 256KB
>
> Athlon Model 10 Barton:
>
> AXDL2600DLV4D 2600+ 1917MHz 11.5x 333MHz Socket-A
> 512KB
>
> Athlon Model 8 Thoroughbred:
>
> AXDA2600DKV3C 2600+ 2133MHz 16x 333MHz Socket-A
> 256KB


Sempron 2600+ runs at (almost exactly) the same speed as an Athlon XP2200+.
Just a faster FSB.

As for the S 2600+ and the A 2600+, same FSB, both A's running faster with
the Barton version of the A having twice the L2 as the S. That L2 makes a
big difference.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade of processor/motherboard S J Williams Computer Information 1 09-18-2006 02:33 PM
Where to get motherboard 1394 cable? (FIC P4-865PE motherboard) sub NZ Computing 9 06-26-2006 05:37 AM
Processor/motherboard upgrade Dean Computer Information 2 06-03-2006 03:15 AM
cheap lights, cheap setup.. systmster Digital Photography 8 03-14-2006 07:38 PM
Re: Motherboard Upgrade and XP HeeroYuy Computer Support 1 04-10-2005 03:05 AM



Advertisments