Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > What is better for traffic shaping?

What is better for traffic shaping?

Askarius

Hi guys,
we are creating a data center and we want to shape tha bandwidth to
each of our rack.

What kind of shaping would be better?
It have to be configured on the switch L3 connecting the racks (each in
a different vlan) or on the router connected to our provider?

Thanks

bye

Denis

Merv

Why would you be designing new data centre infrastrucutre that is
bandwidth constrained and thus would require traffic shaping ???

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Why would you be designing new data centre infrastrucutre that is
>bandwidth constrained and thus would require traffic shaping ???

Well, if you are a hosting company then you usually offer different
bandwidths for different packages.

For any kind of company, you might be wanting rate shaping as a
prioritization mechanism, especially if your equipment does not
support as many prioritity queues as you would like.

There are companies that don't mind employees using the internet for
optional services as long as it doesn't interfere with the efficient
operation of the company.

Or you might simply not have enough money to provide unconstrained
bandwidth when some of your customers might be using bitTorrent or the
like -- applications that will suck up as much simultaneous bandwidth as
you give them, but which will live comfortably with bandwidth restrictions.

Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Why would you be designing new data centre infrastrucutre that is
> >bandwidth constrained and thus would require traffic shaping ???

> Well, if you are a hosting company then you usually offer different
> bandwidths for different packages.
>
> For any kind of company, you might be wanting rate shaping as a
> prioritization mechanism, especially if your equipment does not
> support as many prioritity queues as you would like.
>
> There are companies that don't mind employees using the internet for
> optional services as long as it doesn't interfere with the efficient
> operation of the company.
>
> Or you might simply not have enough money to provide unconstrained
> bandwidth when some of your customers might be using bitTorrent or the
> like -- applications that will suck up as much simultaneous bandwidth as
> you give them, but which will live comfortably with bandwidth restrictions.

One option is the use of an actual traffic-shaping appliance such as
the PacketShaper by Packeteer or the Alot NetEnforcer. The Packeteer
ISP models are capable of enforcing SLAs quite easily.