Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > does this product exist

Reply
Thread Tools

does this product exist

 
 
Jo & Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?

Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?

Cheers,
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mr Undeniably Sluttish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:44:53 +1300, Jo & Chris wrote:

> Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?


Yes. It's called a desktop PC with wireless networking.


Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:44:53 +1300, Jo & Chris wrote:

> You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
> allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
>
> Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris


At a guess Id say no, dial up modem + pc + wireless access point
is the way for you

--
It is a human characteristic to love little animals, especially if
they're attractive in some way.
-- McCoy, "The Trouble with Tribbles", stardate 4525.6

 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger Johnstone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
In <(E-Mail Removed)> Jo & Chris wrote:
> You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
> allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
>
> Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris


Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
to the network from a remote location.

--
Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
http://roger.geek.nz/
__________________________________________________ ______________________
No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
 
Reply With Quote
 
David
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
Roger Johnstone wrote:
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Jo & Chris wrote:
>
>>You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
>>allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
>>
>>Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Chris

>
>
> Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
> used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
> to the network from a remote location.
>


Is it compatible with PCs (running windows or linux)?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger Johnstone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
In <m4xmf.7151$(E-Mail Removed)> David wrote:
> Roger Johnstone wrote:
>> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Jo & Chris wrote:
>>
>>>You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
>>>allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
>>>
>>>Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Chris

>>
>>
>> Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can
>> be used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to
>> dial in to the network from a remote location.

>
> Is it compatible with PCs (running windows or linux)?


The setup software requires Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP, but since it
uses standard 802.11g networking once it's set up it should work with
anything.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

--
Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
http://roger.geek.nz/
__________________________________________________ ______________________
No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mauricio Freitas [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
Yes. It's the Wiflyer

http://www.alwaysonwireless.com/wiflyer.html

Mind you, AFAIK it's not telepermitted, so you shouldn't connect it to
Telecom's network ...

--
Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices


"Jo & Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
> allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
>
> Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris



 
Reply With Quote
 
El Penguino
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
On 10 Dec 2005 08:56:26 GMT, Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
>used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
>to the network from a remote location.


Thats exactly the jobbie.
Alas it is $200, I assume that is USD.
Ach ja...

Cheers,
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2005
El Penguino wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2005 08:56:26 GMT, Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can be
>>used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to dial in
>>to the network from a remote location.

>
>
> Thats exactly the jobbie.
> Alas it is $200, I assume that is USD.
> Ach ja...


Apple do sell in NZ, you know.

http://www.apple.co.nz/hardware/airportextreme/

$358.00
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Undeniably Sluttish
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2005
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:04:13 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

> In <m4xmf.7151$(E-Mail Removed)> David wrote:
>> Roger Johnstone wrote:
>>> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Jo & Chris wrote:
>>>
>>>>You know how you can get a DSL modem/router/wireless basestation
>>>>allowing you to connect with a wireless laptop?
>>>>
>>>>Do the same products exist that will connect to a dial-up account?
>>>>
>>>>Cheers,
>>>>Chris
>>>
>>>
>>> Apple's standard AirPort base station includes a V.90 modem. It can
>>> be used to provide dial-up Internet access for the network, or to
>>> dial in to the network from a remote location.

>>
>> Is it compatible with PCs (running windows or linux)?

>
> The setup software requires Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP, but since it
> uses standard 802.11g networking once it's set up it should work with
> anything.


IOW, it's not compatible with any system that does not use Micro$oft
WindowsNT5.0 or WindowsNT5.1 or some version of MacOS X


Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fastest way to compute dot product (inner product) in Ruby? theosib@gmail.com Ruby 4 11-02-2007 03:24 AM
Product Manager/ Sr. Product Manager padma C++ 0 10-03-2007 12:30 PM
Does my object exist? So why its HWND doesn't exist? That's a question... (CMonthCalCtrl control) LT C++ 7 07-25-2004 07:08 PM
In Schema, how to say "If one element exist, another element must exist"? Y.S. XML 3 09-17-2003 02:51 PM
Help:Why can't I use namespace System.Web? It is said that this namespace doesn't exist. But it should exist. ASP .Net 1 07-29-2003 04:31 PM



Advertisments