Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS03-030 and MS04-018

Reply
Thread Tools

MS03-030 and MS04-018

 
 
Invisible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:05:32 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>>
>>> It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
>>> stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.
>>>

>> Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
>> months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
>> Admittedly on a very small sample.

>
>I do.
>
>Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
>red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
>
>Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
>
>No problem.


My Xandros shat itself after doing the SP2 update.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sharktyymbfj
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ziomf.7014$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Sharktyymbfj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6nmmf.6984$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:iimmf.6980$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:dnclak$3p0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> geopelia wrote:
>> >> > MS03-030
>> >>
>> >> Problem in DirectX. Solution: download the latest DirectX (9.0b).
>> >>
>> >> > and MS04-018
>> >>
>> >> "No. None of these vulnerabilities are critical in severity on Windows
>> >> 98, on Windows 98 Second Edition, or on Windows Millennium Edition."
>> >>
>> >> Two minutes of Google.
>> >>
>> >> Cheers,
>> >> Nicholas Sherlock
>> >
>> >
>> > Thank you. I was hunting around on Google and Windows Update for ages

> last
>> > night!
>> > I found DirectX 9 but it seemed to be for some Media Player.
>> >
>> > When the warning came up on pc-cillin it seemed very dangerous. It's

> good
>> > to
>> > know there is nothing seriously wrong.

>>
>> While I think it's the best value firewall,etc you'll need to close ports
>> 445.
>>
>> Check it out at www.grc.com and run the 'shields up' test.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Sharktyymbfj
>>
>> Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.
>>

> Thank you, but I know very little about the technical side of computers,
> (they were not invented when I went to school), and
> unless it is a simple matter of clicking something I leave it to my
> computer
> man.
>
> I looked at the FAQ for DirectX and it seems to be for games and media. I
> use email and internet, there just isn't time to play games!
>
> Thanks for your help.


No wuckers!


--
Sharktyymbfj

Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Max Burke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
> Nicholas Sherlock scribbled:

>> geopelia wrote:


> Problem in DirectX. Solution: download the latest DirectX (9.0b).


Latest = DirectX 9.0c
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Available on most magazines free CD roms if downloading it too much of a
hassle.
--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

 
Reply With Quote
 
geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005

"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Nicholas Sherlock scribbled:

>
> >> geopelia wrote:

>
> > Problem in DirectX. Solution: download the latest DirectX (9.0b).

>
> Latest = DirectX 9.0c
>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
> Available on most magazines free CD roms if downloading it too much of a
> hassle.
> --


Thank you. I had a look at the Microsoft page, but it would take over 3
hours and looks very complicated, I'll see what the computer man thinks next
time he calls. If it isn't doing any harm as it is I'll leave it for now. I
don't play games, and with the red gone in the Monitor I don't even use
paint now. Can't draw much with the mouse anyway!

I've saved the website in Favourites for now.
Thank you for sending it.

Geopelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
Invisible wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:05:32 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> steve wrote:
>>>>
>>>> It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
>>>> stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.
>>>>
>>> Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
>>> months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
>>> Admittedly on a very small sample.

>>
>>I do.
>>
>>Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
>>red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
>>
>>Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
>>
>>No problem.

>
> My Xandros shat itself after doing the SP2 update.


I've yet to see that on any systems here, though I did see discussion in the
forums about it just after the SP came out.

I tend not to install tar balls for any system stuff.....so my systems are
pretty clean from a Xandros-supported upgrade point of view.

I'll install apps from tar balls....but only where they are obviously
stand-alone and don't require system changes.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
steve wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>
>>steve wrote:
>>
>>>It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
>>>stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.
>>>

>>
>>Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
>>months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
>>Admittedly on a very small sample.

>
> I do.
>
> Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
> red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
>
> Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
>
> No problem.
>

That's basically what Winders does. What's the difference?

Incidentally, I *always* check what the updates contain. So that if a
problem arises in that area, then I know where to look. Do NOT trust the
background updates! I've saved myself a couple of times by doing that.
Once was an update to Postgres and another was a change to initscripts.
I can't remember any others, but I'm sure there were some. Oh yeah,
Breezy hosed my XWindows, because of a change I'd made and an update
that reverted things, probably because I'd changed the wrong thing.

Cheers,

Cliff
 
Reply With Quote
 
Max Burke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
> Enkidu scribbled:

>> steve wrote:


>> It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of
>> this stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.


> Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2
> - 3 months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per
> month. Admittedly on a very small sample.


>> I do.


>> Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green
>> tick to a red exclamation mark when there is an update available.


>> Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
>> No problem.


> That's basically what Winders does. What's the difference?


C'mon Cliff you should know by now that it IS ok when Linux works like that
but is NOT ok when windows does. That's if you're a Linux advocate
anyway....

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
Enkidu wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>
>>>steve wrote:
>>>
>>>>It's lovely using Linux and not having to worry about any of this
>>>>stuff as far as my own systems are concerned.
>>>>
>>>
>>>Steve, you should do the Linux updates. Since I've had Ubuntu (2 - 3
>>>months) I'm averaging probably about 1 security update per month.
>>>Admittedly on a very small sample.

>>
>> I do.
>>
>> Xandros has a wee icon on the taskbar that changes from a green tick to a
>> red exclamation mark when there is an update available.
>>
>> Click on the icon and begin the background updates.
>>
>> No problem.
>>

> That's basically what Winders does. What's the difference?


We were talking about anti-virus....not Windows.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
if and and vs if and,and titi VHDL 4 03-11-2007 05:23 AM



Advertisments