Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Advice Please CD and DVD Drives Gone AWOL

Advice Please CD and DVD Drives Gone AWOL

Paul Carter

Any and all helpful suggestions welcome.

My system was working fine until yesterday when both my CD writer and DVD writer
disappeared! The system is a bit of a mish mash of things I've added over the
years, it has three Hard Drives of various sizes, 2 IDE and 1 SATA, an AMD Duron
1.1 chip and a MSI motherboard. The case, motherboard and chip are about 4
years old. Running Windows XP Pro, but I don't think that matters, as the
missing drives no longer appear in the BIOS .

I have also noticed that I've lost half my memory, I used to have 512mb, now
have only 248.

Any suggestions as to how to recalim my missing drives and memory?

I'm not sure where to start looking.

Thanks.

Paul

~misfit~

Paul Carter wrote:
> Any and all helpful suggestions welcome.
>
> My system was working fine until yesterday when both my CD writer and
> DVD writer disappeared! The system is a bit of a mish mash of things
> I've added over the years, it has three Hard Drives of various sizes,
> 2 IDE and 1 SATA, an AMD Duron
> 1.1 chip and a MSI motherboard. The case, motherboard and chip are
> about 4 years old. Running Windows XP Pro, but I don't think that
> matters, as the missing drives no longer appear in the BIOS .
>
> I have also noticed that I've lost half my memory, I used to have
> 512mb, now have only 248.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to recalim my missing drives and memory?
>
> I'm not sure where to start looking.

I'd turn it off at the wall and remove and reseat the RAM and IDE cables (at
both ends) and hope that it fixes it. Support the board a bit when
re-seating as they can flex a bit. If you have more money than I do, get
some CO cleaner from DSE (or somewhere) and spray it into the RAM slots when
you have the RAM out. (My CO cleaner is just about empty. <sigh>)

Good luck, post back if that doesn't help. Fingers crossed that it isn't due
to component failure.
--
~misfit~

Mark Robinson

Paul Carter wrote:
> Any and all helpful suggestions welcome.
>
> My system was working fine until yesterday when both my CD writer and DVD writer
> disappeared! The system is a bit of a mish mash of things I've added over the
> years, it has three Hard Drives of various sizes, 2 IDE and 1 SATA, an AMD Duron
> 1.1 chip and a MSI motherboard. The case, motherboard and chip are about 4
> years old. Running Windows XP Pro, but I don't think that matters, as the
> missing drives no longer appear in the BIOS .
>
> I have also noticed that I've lost half my memory, I used to have 512mb, now
> have only 248.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to recalim my missing drives and memory?
>
> I'm not sure where to start looking.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul

Sony may have rootkitted you ... have a look at
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=924

Mark Remfrey

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
> Paul Carter wrote:
>> Any and all helpful suggestions welcome.
>>
>> My system was working fine until yesterday when both my CD writer and DVD
>> writer
>> disappeared! The system is a bit of a mish mash of things I've added over
>> the
>> years, it has three Hard Drives of various sizes, 2 IDE and 1 SATA, an
>> AMD Duron
>> 1.1 chip and a MSI motherboard. The case, motherboard and chip are about
>> 4
>> years old. Running Windows XP Pro, but I don't think that matters, as
>> the
>> missing drives no longer appear in the BIOS .
>>
>> I have also noticed that I've lost half my memory, I used to have 512mb,
>> now
>> have only 248.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how to recalim my missing drives and memory?
>>
>> I'm not sure where to start looking.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Paul

> Sony may have rootkitted you ... have a look at
> http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=924

There's also Starforce which is being used by a lot of game developers......
it's NASTY! Does the same sort of crap as Sony does.

Starforce's website has a forum running, and oh boy! Does it get a hammering
from ****ed off people, where it's breaking DVD/CD drives! Their support is
considered quite rude, with comments like "DRM is here to stay, get used to
it!" and locking of forum threads when they start losing.... LMAO

--

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

"Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"

Paul Carter

>I'd turn it off at the wall and remove and reseat the RAM and IDE cables (at
>both ends) and hope that it fixes it. Support the board a bit when
>re-seating as they can flex a bit. If you have more money than I do, get
>some CO cleaner from DSE (or somewhere) and spray it into the RAM slots when
>you have the RAM out. (My CO cleaner is just about empty. <sigh>)
>
>Good luck, post back if that doesn't help. Fingers crossed that it isn't due
>to component failure.

Thanks for this. I've unplugged the RAM and cables, then re plugged them.

Good news, the CD and DVD drives came back.

Bad news, now they have gone again. They seem to come and go randomly at the
moment. When they appear they work fine. What part of the system could be
causing this? It seems that something is going to fail permanently soon. Any
ideas what?

Paul

Bret

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:53:56 +1300, Paul Carter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>I'd turn it off at the wall and remove and reseat the RAM and IDE cables (at
>>both ends) and hope that it fixes it. Support the board a bit when
>>re-seating as they can flex a bit. If you have more money than I do, get
>>some CO cleaner from DSE (or somewhere) and spray it into the RAM slots when
>>you have the RAM out. (My CO cleaner is just about empty. <sigh>)
>>
>>Good luck, post back if that doesn't help. Fingers crossed that it isn't due
>>to component failure.

>Thanks for this. I've unplugged the RAM and cables, then re plugged them.
>
>Good news, the CD and DVD drives came back.
>
>Bad news, now they have gone again. They seem to come and go randomly at the
>moment. When they appear they work fine. What part of the system could be
>causing this? It seems that something is going to fail permanently soon. Any
>ideas what?

Check your caps for goo.

http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

~misfit~

Bret wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:53:56 +1300, Paul Carter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>> I'd turn it off at the wall and remove and reseat the RAM and IDE
>>> cables (at both ends) and hope that it fixes it. Support the board
>>> a bit when re-seating as they can flex a bit. If you have more
>>> money than I do, get some CO cleaner from DSE (or somewhere) and
>>> spray it into the RAM slots when you have the RAM out. (My CO
>>> cleaner is just about empty. <sigh>)
>>>
>>> Good luck, post back if that doesn't help. Fingers crossed that it
>>> isn't due to component failure.

>> Thanks for this. I've unplugged the RAM and cables, then re plugged
>> them.
>>
>> Good news, the CD and DVD drives came back.
>>
>> Bad news, now they have gone again. They seem to come and go
>> randomly at the moment. When they appear they work fine. What part
>> of the system could be causing this? It seems that something is
>> going to fail permanently soon. Any ideas what?
>>

> Check your caps for goo.
>
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

Good advice. I was hoping we wouldn't have to go there but was prepared for
it. Hence the "post back" comment.

Did the RAM come back?

Do you have another IDE cable you can try? I'd take off, then put back on,
the jumpers for master/slave on the drives too, oxidation over time can
cause them to lose a bit of contact. (Also, it gives you a chance to check
that they're jumpered correctly, with the master at the end of the cable).

Also check the Molex (power) plugs into the drives. If any is sharing with a
case fan make sure that one of the pins hasn't pushed back, causing
intermittent contact.

Good luck, be sure to get back to us.
--
~misfit~

smf

Bret wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:53:56 +1300, Paul Carter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>> I'd turn it off at the wall and remove and reseat the RAM and IDE cables (at
>>> both ends) and hope that it fixes it. Support the board a bit when
>>> re-seating as they can flex a bit. If you have more money than I do, get
>>> some CO cleaner from DSE (or somewhere) and spray it into the RAM slots when
>>> you have the RAM out. (My CO cleaner is just about empty. <sigh>)
>>>
>>> Good luck, post back if that doesn't help. Fingers crossed that it isn't due
>>> to component failure.

>> Thanks for this. I've unplugged the RAM and cables, then re plugged them.
>>
>> Good news, the CD and DVD drives came back.
>>
>> Bad news, now they have gone again. They seem to come and go randomly at the
>> moment. When they appear they work fine. What part of the system could be
>> causing this? It seems that something is going to fail permanently soon. Any
>> ideas what?
>>

> Check your caps for goo.
>
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

thats exactly what i was gonna say .....
caps are ready to, or are starting to lose their integrity.
A few MSI boards have had this problem -

Rob J

In article <439a7399$(E-Mail Removed)>, time.enough***@gmail.com says...
> Bret wrote:

> >> Thanks for this. I've unplugged the RAM and cables, then re plugged them.
> >>
> >> Good news, the CD and DVD drives came back.
> >>
> >> Bad news, now they have gone again. They seem to come and go randomly at the
> >> moment. When they appear they work fine. What part of the system could be
> >> causing this? It seems that something is going to fail permanently soon. Any
> >> ideas what?
> >>

> > Check your caps for goo.
> >
> > http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm
> >

> thats exactly what i was gonna say .....
> caps are ready to, or are starting to lose their integrity.
> A few MSI boards have had this problem -

Including ones made for other companies like IBM

Menoeceus

On , , Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:53:56 +1300, Re: Advice Please CD and
DVD Drives Gone AWOL, Paul Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>I'd turn it off at the wall and remove and reseat the RAM and IDE cables (at
>>both ends) and hope that it fixes it. Support the board a bit when
>>re-seating as they can flex a bit. If you have more money than I do, get
>>some CO cleaner from DSE (or somewhere) and spray it into the RAM slots when
>>you have the RAM out. (My CO cleaner is just about empty. <sigh>)
>>
>>Good luck, post back if that doesn't help. Fingers crossed that it isn't due
>>to component failure.

>Thanks for this. I've unplugged the RAM and cables, then re plugged them.
>
>Good news, the CD and DVD drives came back.
>
>Bad news, now they have gone again. They seem to come and go randomly at the
>moment. When they appear they work fine. What part of the system could be
>causing this? It seems that something is going to fail permanently soon. Any
>ideas what?

The motherboard, capacitors.

---
"You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!"