Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slowing down CPU when not needed?

Reply
Thread Tools

Slowing down CPU when not needed?

 
 
CyiPherX
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
Using Ubuntu linux on my centrino notebook, the CPU runs at 800Mhz
when the full cpu power isn't needed, which works fine and is very quiet ,
when the full cpu is needed it scales back up to 1.73Ghz.

Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same type of
thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.

CyiPherX

--
´╗┐Want to tell the world where you are??
Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup
or nz linux http://www.frappr.com/nzlinux Frappr maps.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
"CyiPherX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Ubuntu linux on my centrino notebook, the CPU runs at 800Mhz
> when the full cpu power isn't needed, which works fine and is very
> quiet ,
> when the full cpu is needed it scales back up to 1.73Ghz.
>
> Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
> type of
> thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.
>


CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all the
Pentium-M processors that support this.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CyiPherX
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2005
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:49:41 -0500, Impossible wrote:

> "CyiPherX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Using Ubuntu linux on my centrino notebook, the CPU runs at 800Mhz
>> when the full cpu power isn't needed, which works fine and is very
>> quiet ,
>> when the full cpu is needed it scales back up to 1.73Ghz.
>>
>> Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
>> type of
>> thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.
>>

>
> CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all the
> Pentium-M processors that support this.


Ah i see, just that when i had XP installed on my notebook, the cpu always
ran full speed ie: (fan always running), even when no programs were
running, when i switched to linux, i noticed how much more quiet the
notebook was without the fan noise.

CyiPherX



--
´╗┐Want to tell the world where you are??
Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup
or nz linux http://www.frappr.com/nzlinux Frappr maps.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2005
CyiPherX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
> type of thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.
>


For an Intel CPU, look into the support site for the model of laptop and
get the "Intel Speedstep" tool. This is the little green flag icon that
runs in the tasktray and throttles the cpu when you switch to battery
power.
Like another poster said, XP has many of these tools built in, but the
model of laptop's web site will tell you in an FAQ.

--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2005
"CyiPherX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:49:41 -0500, Impossible wrote:
>
>> "CyiPherX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Using Ubuntu linux on my centrino notebook, the CPU runs at 800Mhz
>>> when the full cpu power isn't needed, which works fine and is very
>>> quiet ,
>>> when the full cpu is needed it scales back up to 1.73Ghz.
>>>
>>> Is their a program that runs under windows xp that can do the same
>>> type of
>>> thing, since i want to try it on another notebook.
>>>

>>
>> CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all
>> the
>> Pentium-M processors that support this.

>
> Ah i see, just that when i had XP installed on my notebook, the cpu
> always
> ran full speed ie: (fan always running), even when no programs were
> running, when i switched to linux, i noticed how much more quiet the
> notebook was without the fan noise.
>


That's odd. Check your power-management settings.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2005
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:23:33 +1300, CyiPherX wrote:

>> CPU-throttling is the default power-management mode in XP for all the
>> Pentium-M processors that support this.

>
> Ah i see, just that when i had XP installed on my notebook, the cpu always
> ran full speed ie: (fan always running), even when no programs were
> running, when i switched to linux, i noticed how much more quiet the
> notebook was without the fan noise.


Some of the newer AMD cpu's do it also, when you install the correct
driver. You will also have to use something other than the default power
settings in the power applet in control panel also, I found.

--

.... Brendan

#217453 +(3763)- [X]

<@Chin^> My sister caught me jacking off the other week and calls me a
pervert
<@Chin^> just the other day i walked into my room and caught my sister
masturbating
<@Chin^> So she calls me a pervert again?!?
<@Chin^> there is no justice in the world...


Note: All my comments are copyright 9/12/2005 11:27:15 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
page refresh slowing down =?Utf-8?B?QmFobWFu?= ASP .Net 3 12-22-2005 05:24 AM
CEF slowing down FE to FE traffic WAState Cisco 12 03-03-2005 06:29 PM
Slow Connections Slowing Down Site. Bruce Hodge ASP .Net 1 11-29-2004 03:39 PM
slowing down page loading time niles HTML 10 06-22-2004 07:05 AM
ASP.NET application slowing down Andy Oakey ASP .Net 1 08-12-2003 04:28 PM



Advertisments