Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Images not showing in Word, Excel

Images not showing in Word, Excel

Nik Coughlin

Anyone run into this before?

Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and footer
images into them.

In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but then
disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to another
application, pretty much anything. After the initial display it doesn't
show at all. Looks like it's not repainting itself. Same thing with print
preview, the image appears initially then disappears, never to return.
Prints fine however.

Yes, I have tried changing the view mode. Yes, I have checked the View tab
of Tools | Options, made sure that "Drawings" is checked and that "Picture
placeholders" is not checked.

Excel -- the image never shows up. At all. Not in the document, though I
do get the handles around the outside of it. Doesn't show up in print
preview either. It prints fine. HOWEVER if I drag the image somewhere else
on the sheet, it shows up initially, then does the same thing as word, stops
repainting.

While it's all very well and good that it prints OK these documents are
going to be mainly transmitted and viewed electronically, so this is a bit
of a PITA.

Anyone have any ideas? I've trawled Google and will continue to do so but
haven't found anything that solves my problem yet.

Nik Coughlin

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Anyone run into this before?
>
> Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and
> footer images into them.
>
> In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but
> then disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to another
> application, pretty much anything. After the initial display it
> doesn't show at all. Looks like it's not repainting itself. Same
> thing with print preview, the image appears initially then
> disappears, never to return. Prints fine however.

....more of the same, snip...

The pictures work fine if you go to Display
Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and turn off hardware
acceleration. That's great. I'll just send an email to all of our clients
now asking them real nicely to do this so that we can be sure our documents
show properly. Jeez.

Baloo

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>>Anyone run into this before?
>>
>>Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and
>>footer images into them.
>>
>>In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but
>>then disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to another
>>application, pretty much anything. After the initial display it
>>doesn't show at all. Looks like it's not repainting itself. Same
>>thing with print preview, the image appears initially then
>>disappears, never to return. Prints fine however.
>>

> ...more of the same, snip...
>
> The pictures work fine if you go to Display
> Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and turn off hardware
> acceleration. That's great. I'll just send an email to all of our clients
> now asking them real nicely to do this so that we can be sure our documents
> show properly. Jeez.

Hi,

Just a thought - what graphics card you using? The fact that you have
to turn off hardware acceleration to me could mean that the video
drivers have a problem. Otoh, you probably are not spoilt for choice of
driver versions on 64 bit XP. Just loading xp 64 bit atm, should be
good for a laugh

Baloo

Nik Coughlin

Baloo wrote:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone run into this before?
>>>
>>> Word and Excel 2003 on XP64, we are trying to place some header and
>>> footer images into them.
>>>
>>> In Word the header image shows when you first load the document but
>>> then disappears as soon as you scroll the document, alt-tab to
>>> another application, pretty much anything. After the initial
>>> display it doesn't show at all. Looks like it's not repainting
>>> itself. Same thing with print preview, the image appears initially
>>> then disappears, never to return. Prints fine however.
>>>

>> ...more of the same, snip...
>>
>> The pictures work fine if you go to Display
>> Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and turn off hardware
>> acceleration. That's great. I'll just send an email to all of our
>> clients now asking them real nicely to do this so that we can be
>> sure our documents show properly. Jeez.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Just a thought - what graphics card you using? The fact that you have
> to turn off hardware acceleration to me could mean that the video
> drivers have a problem. Otoh, you probably are not spoilt for choice
> of driver versions on 64 bit XP. Just loading xp 64 bit atm, should
> be good for a laugh

Just a plain ol' nvidia geforce 6600, but it's a pretty common problem going
by the number of results Google returns. The Microsoft guru in our building
said that he thinks there are some problems with some Office components
using undocumented API calls and it is apparently fixed in Office 2006 (beta
no sooner than March, sigh).

Haven't had any other problems with XP64 though, suprisingly.