Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > index.htm or index.html ?

index.htm or index.html ?

Robert Cooze

I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
(dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.

Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.

IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

Shane

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:59:39 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:

> I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
> quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
> there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
> index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
> (dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
> the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
>
> Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
> last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
>

> IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

Its up to your httpd.conf
you can set an order, or just the default for the first file it looks for
in a directory
ie.
DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html index.htm

HTH
--
BOFH excuse #189:

SCSI's too wide.

Allistar

Robert Cooze wrote:

> I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
> quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
> there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
> index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
> (dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
> the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
>
> Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
> last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
>

> IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

It depends on the configuration of your webserver as set in
httpd.conf/apache.conf/apach2.conf for apache depending on your
distribution.

I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it only 3
characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.

Allistar.

Enkidu

Robert Cooze wrote:
> I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
> quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
> there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
> index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
> (dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
> the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
>
> Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
> last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
>

> IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

It's up to the webserver. Apache and IIS can both be set to serve both.

Cheers,

Cliff

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:59:39 +1300, Robert Cooze
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
>quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
>there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
>index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
>(dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
>the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
>
>Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
>last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
>

>IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

Both work by default in all common web servers.

The religiously correct extension is .html, however .htm became widely
used because of Windows' 8+3 filenames (ie every file in Windows did
have/has got an extension of 3 characters, more by convention these
days).

So yeah, short answer, both will work fine.

Peter

Allistar wrote:

> I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it only 3
> characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.

It was to fit into the 8.3 file naming convention in MS-DOS and its
predecessors. Unix and Linux systems can have as many characters as you
like after the dot (within usual limits), and even two or more dots.

Allistar

Peter wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>

>> I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it only 3
>> characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.
>>

> It was to fit into the 8.3 file naming convention in MS-DOS and its
> predecessors. Unix and Linux systems can have as many characters as you
> like after the dot (within usual limits), and even two or more dots.

It seems odd considering how many webservers run on computers that can only
do 8.3 names. I can't think of any commercial webservers with that
limitation.

Allistar.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Allistar wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> Allistar wrote:
>>

>>> I personally prefer .html, I see no logical reason for making it
>>> only 3 characters. Leaving off the last character is silly.

>> It was to fit into the 8.3 file naming convention in MS-DOS and its
>> predecessors. Unix and Linux systems can have as many characters as
>> you like after the dot (within usual limits), and even two or more
>> dots.

> It seems odd considering how many webservers run on computers that can
> only do 8.3 names. I can't think of any commercial webservers with
> that limitation.

Not the servers themselves, but an awful lot of web pages were created
with OSes or programs which had the old 8.3 name limitations. Naturally
the names had to be kept short when the pages were saved to the local
system, and there would be little reason to rename them when they were
moved to the server.

http://roger.geek.nz/

steve

Robert Cooze wrote:

> IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

In Apache web server, I think the default file(s) are in a list specified in
"httpd.conf". The default value is index.html.

On Linux, that is often found in /etc/httpd/conf, but location may vary by
distro or specific install.

Anyone not using Windows will almost certainly be using Apache...and a lot
of Windows servers will use Apache as well.....as the MS server tends to
cost money unless it is crippled in some way.

Robert Cooze

Shane wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:59:39 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:
>

>>I am re vitilising my Web site and will be useing ccs but I now have a
>>quandry there is root index should it be named index.htm or index.html.
>>there is some second leavel dirs too it is nice to put a index.htm or
>>index html in there too so you can quote http://cooze.co.nz/retro .
>>(dont comment this is still the old site) should be uploading towards
>>the end of the week 12th throught to the 16th.
>>
>>Now all the resources that google pulls up seem to say xxx.html, but
>>last time I set the pages up xxx.htm seemed to only work as expected.
>>

>>IMHO I am Picking inxed.html should work ok or is it up to the web server.

> Its up to your httpd.conf
> you can set an order, or just the default for the first file it looks for
> in a directory
> ie.
> DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html index.htm
>

> HTH

Ok thats cool.

Now The web server I am using (hosting company) I cant get access to
that part. On my own local system both work fine! It was more to
optimise my dir strutuer throught the web page so it will work better, I
have hand typed the pages this time in sections. I have not relied on
html generating programs at all. I have found this way I am havving
better relibility with my cross page linking and look of each poage
being consistent.