Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS fined $32m (US) in Sth Korea

Reply
Thread Tools

MS fined $32m (US) in Sth Korea

 
 
brianM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:45:54 +1000, steve wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
>> Shane wrote:
>>
>>
>>> IIRC that order mirrors the one made by the EU. And the EU's
>>> experience was, Nobody big or small used Windows N
>>>
>>> Wet bus ticket time
>>>

>> Bill and Steve threatened to stop selling Windows and Office in South
>> Korea,
>> and the Koreans pretty well said 'make our day'. I am not sure what
>> they can do - chucking furniture around is not going to help.

>
> True.
>
> Leaving the field clear for several Korean distros of linux in a market
> with 22 million people would be a huge talent pool for Linux application
> development - not to mention the DRIVERS vendors of all sorts of things
> would have to develop....and which would benefit everyone, everywhere.
>
> Sounds like a great idea.


For the drivers alone I say bring it on.

cheers'
BrianM
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:59:24 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/cx7oa
>>
>> Had to laugh at the MS spokesman in Sth Korea, talking on BBC news,
>> talking about the Korean Government going to the 'competitive Leenex'
>> operating system.

>
>If you consider how Linus Torvald's first name is pronounced in his native
>tongue(Lee'nus in his native Swedish) then maybe Leenex is actually closer
>to the right pronunciation, since almost everyone pronounces Linux
>incorrectly (or at least differently) you are foolish to laugh at how
>someone in another country pronounces it.
>

Lighten up. It was an American MS employee who was mispronouncing it
on purpose.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bambam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
brianM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed) o.nx:

> There used to be a little sound file in Red Hat for testing your
> soundcard - "I'm Leenoose Torvolds and I pronounce Lin-ux Lin-ux"
> There ya go


No, here you go.

http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Allistar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
steve wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
>> Shane wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> IIRC that order mirrors the one made by the EU. And the EU's experience
>>> was, Nobody big or small used Windows N
>>>
>>> Wet bus ticket time
>>>

>> Bill and Steve threatened to stop selling Windows and Office in South
>> Korea,
>> and the Koreans pretty well said 'make our day'. I am not sure what they
>> can do - chucking furniture around is not going to help.

>
> True.
>
> Leaving the field clear for several Korean distros of linux in a market
> with 22 million people would be a huge talent pool for Linux application
> development - not to mention the DRIVERS vendors of all sorts of things
> would have to develop....and which would benefit everyone, everywhere.
>
> Sounds like a great idea.


Once it gets a decent foothold in a large enough democracy it will be the
end of times for the stranglehold Microsoft has had on the software
industry.

Operating systems and nonspecialised software should be readily available to
all who need them without draconian agreements or price gouging.

Allistar.
 
Reply With Quote
 
brianM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:19:06 +1000, bambam wrote:

> brianM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed) o.nx:
>
>> There used to be a little sound file in Red Hat for testing your
>> soundcard - "I'm Leenoose Torvolds and I pronounce Lin-ux Lin-ux" There
>> ya go

>
> No, here you go.
>
> http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/


Good one ! now how long ago was Red Hat 5. something.

BrianM
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2005
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:18:45 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:59:24 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/cx7oa
>>>
>>> Had to laugh at the MS spokesman in Sth Korea, talking on BBC news,
>>> talking about the Korean Government going to the 'competitive Leenex'
>>> operating system.

>>
>>If you consider how Linus Torvald's first name is pronounced in his native
>>tongue(Lee'nus in his native Swedish) then maybe Leenex is actually closer
>>to the right pronunciation, since almost everyone pronounces Linux
>>incorrectly (or at least differently) you are foolish to laugh at how
>>someone in another country pronounces it.
>>

>Lighten up. It was an American MS employee who was mispronouncing it
>on purpose.


Perhaps he wanted it to sound like Kleenex?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$sth->errstr; and $sth->execute; elodie Perl Misc 0 11-07-2011 05:23 PM
Big Blue fined $25,000 for deceiving customers peterwn NZ Computing 2 01-14-2009 04:44 AM
Microsoft just fined US$ 1.35 billion by European antitrust regulator cwdjrxyz HTML 16 02-29-2008 08:54 PM
Michigan Man Fined for Using Coffee Shop's Wi-Fi Network Clancy Wiggum Computer Support 11 06-21-2007 04:43 AM
New Yorkers fined for listening to MP3 players? Mathew Good NZ Computing 25 02-12-2007 07:52 AM



Advertisments