Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > LimeWire?

LimeWire?

~misfit~

GraB wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:25:43 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> David wrote:
>>> Oh no, not the K-lite codec package. Stay well away from it. Get
>>> Xvid from http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml . Use the properties
>>> window in media player 6.4 (start->run->"mplayer2") to make sure
>>> your video is actually being decoded by Xvid for the best quality.
>>> Many other codecs will try to decode it, including divx, and nero.

>> Oh, how can I encode in Xvid? I'm using Windows (XP) and have Dr
>> DivX that I normally use. However, XviD seems superior and I
>> wouldn't mind using it.
>>
>> Thanks,

> You need to get AutoGordianKnot. It allows encoding at higher
> bitrates than Dr DivX but in an experiment I did where I set it so
> that both the DivX and Xvid files were the same size, they were
> indistinguishable from each other. The price of higher quality seems
> to be larger file size. Unless I am not doing it right.

Ok, thanks.

> I have a HDTV rip at 1280x720 at 3707Kbps that is superb, as good as
> DVD anyway. What is the source that they broadcast? Do they have
> HDTV video already?

In the US, yes. Been around for a wee while now.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

GraB

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 04:43:21 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:25:43 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Oh, how can I encode in Xvid? I'm using Windows (XP) and have Dr
>>> DivX that I normally use. However, XviD seems superior and I
>>> wouldn't mind using it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>> You need to get AutoGordianKnot. It allows encoding at higher
>> bitrates than Dr DivX but in an experiment I did where I set it so
>> that both the DivX and Xvid files were the same size, they were
>> indistinguishable from each other. The price of higher quality seems
>> to be larger file size. Unless I am not doing it right.

>Ok, thanks.
>
>> I have a HDTV rip at 1280x720 at 3707Kbps that is superb, as good as
>> DVD anyway. What is the source that they broadcast? Do they have
>> HDTV video already?

>In the US, yes. Been around for a wee while now.

What I mean is: what are they transmitting? DVDs? If you can't buy
HDDVD players yet where would they be getting HDDVD videos from?

David

GraB wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 04:43:21 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>GraB wrote:

>>>You need to get AutoGordianKnot. It allows encoding at higher
>>>bitrates than Dr DivX but in an experiment I did where I set it so
>>>that both the DivX and Xvid files were the same size, they were
>>>indistinguishable from each other. The price of higher quality seems
>>>to be larger file size. Unless I am not doing it right.

>>Ok, thanks.
>>

>>>I have a HDTV rip at 1280x720 at 3707Kbps that is superb, as good as
>>>DVD anyway. What is the source that they broadcast? Do they have
>>>HDTV video already?

>>In the US, yes. Been around for a wee while now.
>>

> What I mean is: what are they transmitting? DVDs? If you can't buy
> HDDVD players yet where would they be getting HDDVD videos from?

From the studios, its generally Fox? doing the HDTV transmissions, they
make most of the shows

~misfit~

GraB wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 04:43:21 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> GraB wrote:

>>> You need to get AutoGordianKnot. It allows encoding at higher
>>> bitrates than Dr DivX but in an experiment I did where I set it so
>>> that both the DivX and Xvid files were the same size, they were
>>> indistinguishable from each other. The price of higher quality
>>> seems to be larger file size. Unless I am not doing it right.

>> Ok, thanks.
>>
>>> I have a HDTV rip at 1280x720 at 3707Kbps that is superb, as good as
>>> DVD anyway. What is the source that they broadcast? Do they have
>>> HDTV video already?

>> In the US, yes. Been around for a wee while now.
>>

> What I mean is: what are they transmitting? DVDs? If you can't buy
> HDDVD players yet where would they be getting HDDVD videos from?

Ahh, right. I have no idea. Maybe an in-house thing?
--
~misfit~

Dave Taylor

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4398e542
@news.orcon.net.nz:

> What I mean is: what are they transmitting? DVDs? If you can't buy
>> HDDVD players yet where would they be getting HDDVD videos from?

> Ahh, right. I have no idea. Maybe an in-house thing?
> --
> ~misfit~

I think the rips come from HDTV modded PVRs and Video Capture cards.

--
Ciao, Dave

~misfit~

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4398e542
> @news.orcon.net.nz:
>
>> What I mean is: what are they transmitting? DVDs? If you can't buy
>>> HDDVD players yet where would they be getting HDDVD videos from?

>> Ahh, right. I have no idea. Maybe an in-house thing?
>>

> I think the rips come from HDTV modded PVRs and Video Capture cards.

Yeah, what Dave said. <g>
--
~misfit~