Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dual 370 m/board

dual 370 m/board

XPD

Dont suppose anyone has a Dual CPU motherboard for Socket 370 CPUs that they
dont want anymore ?
Must support P3 1ghz CPUs and have AGP 4x slot.
Not too worried about any other fetaures.

TIA

Malthus

XPD wrote:
> Dont suppose anyone has a Dual CPU motherboard for Socket 370 CPUs
> that they
> dont want anymore ?
> Must support P3 1ghz CPUs and have AGP 4x slot.
> Not too worried about any other fetaures.
>
> TIA

Sorry, I cannot help.

But, if you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to do with it?

XPD

"Malthus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> XPD wrote:
>> Dont suppose anyone has a Dual CPU motherboard for Socket 370 CPUs
>> that they
>> dont want anymore ?
>> Must support P3 1ghz CPUs and have AGP 4x slot.
>> Not too worried about any other fetaures.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Sorry, I cannot help.
>
> But, if you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to do with it?

Use it as my primary machine
Im on a P3-1ghz atm and thought I might be able to get hold of a dual board
cheap now Whack in another P3 and be a bit happier :-p

thing2

XPD wrote:
> "Malthus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>XPD wrote:
>>
>>>Dont suppose anyone has a Dual CPU motherboard for Socket 370 CPUs
>>>that they
>>>dont want anymore ?
>>>Must support P3 1ghz CPUs and have AGP 4x slot.
>>>Not too worried about any other fetaures.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>>Sorry, I cannot help.
>>
>>But, if you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to do with it?

> Use it as my primary machine
> Im on a P3-1ghz atm and thought I might be able to get hold of a dual board
> cheap now Whack in another P3 and be a bit happier :-p

Hi,

I did this just before the p3-1000s went scarce...looking at Trademe
such CPUs are scarce now and not cheap.....close to $100 seems typical.

The biggest problem is though that the major manufacturers of these
generation of boards seem to have sued dodgy capacitors, so to be honest
I would not look to upgrade like this, most 3~5 year old boards are
getting to the stuffed stage IMHO.

I have one dual board here with 11 failed capacitors, I was extreamly
lucky and got a second hand board for $45 to replace it. Otherwise by
the time you buy an old dual board plus a second CPU you could get a new
AMD basic board with a new cpu and ram (assuming you flog the old board
and cpu for circa $100~140, plus flog the SDRam for $x) you will spend
little if any more yet have a faster single box with USB2, the ram is
dirt cheap to add to it, it will have sata connections...x8 AGP....makes
no sense to try and upgrade be honest.

regards

Thing

Malthus

thing2 wrote:
> XPD wrote:
>> "Malthus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Sorry, I cannot help.
>>>
>>>But, if you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to do with

> it?
>>

>> Use it as my primary machine
>> Im on a P3-1ghz atm and thought I might be able to get hold of a

> dual board
>> cheap now Whack in another P3 and be a bit happier :-p
>>

> Hi,
>
> I did this just before the p3-1000s went scarce...looking at Trademe
> such CPUs are scarce now and not cheap.....close to $100 seems
> typical.
>
> The biggest problem is though that the major manufacturers of these
> generation of boards seem to have sued dodgy capacitors, so to be
> honest
> I would not look to upgrade like this, most 3~5 year old boards are
> getting to the stuffed stage IMHO.
>
> I have one dual board here with 11 failed capacitors, I was extreamly
> lucky and got a second hand board for $45 to replace it. Otherwise by
> the time you buy an old dual board plus a second CPU you could get a
> new
> AMD basic board with a new cpu and ram (assuming you flog the old
> board
> and cpu for circa $100~140, plus flog the SDRam for $x) you will spend
> little if any more yet have a faster single box with USB2, the ram is
> dirt cheap to add to it, it will have sata connections...x8
> AGP....makes
> no sense to try and upgrade be honest.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Thanks, Thing. I askded abt it because I've often thought an old dual
board would make a good project machine, but you've successfully put me
off

Allistar

Malthus wrote:

> thing2 wrote:
>> XPD wrote:
>>> "Malthus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> it?
>>>

>>> Use it as my primary machine
>>> Im on a P3-1ghz atm and thought I might be able to get hold of a

>> dual board
>>> cheap now Whack in another P3 and be a bit happier :-p
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I did this just before the p3-1000s went scarce...looking at Trademe
>> such CPUs are scarce now and not cheap.....close to $100 seems
>> typical.
>>
>> The biggest problem is though that the major manufacturers of these
>> generation of boards seem to have sued dodgy capacitors, so to be
>> honest
>> I would not look to upgrade like this, most 3~5 year old boards are
>> getting to the stuffed stage IMHO.
>>
>> I have one dual board here with 11 failed capacitors, I was extreamly
>> lucky and got a second hand board for $45 to replace it. Otherwise by
>> the time you buy an old dual board plus a second CPU you could get a
>> new
>> AMD basic board with a new cpu and ram (assuming you flog the old
>> board
>> and cpu for circa $100~140, plus flog the SDRam for $x) you will spend
>> little if any more yet have a faster single box with USB2, the ram is
>> dirt cheap to add to it, it will have sata connections...x8
>> AGP....makes
>> no sense to try and upgrade be honest.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

> Thanks, Thing. I askded abt it because I've often thought an old dual
> board would make a good project machine, but you've successfully put me
> off

I've got a dual P3 866 (512Mb ECC) and a dual P3 1GHz (1Gb ECC) server class
machine that I bought off an auction site. I had always wanted an SMP
computer, and while there is some benefit in having them I don't use them
that often. (They get switched on when my primary workstation - P4 2.4GHz -
is doing some heavy compiling and I use distcc to spread the load to the
two duals). They're noisy bugger when running too.

Allistar.