Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Quicktime 7 only works on W2k and XP

Quicktime 7 only works on W2k and XP

S Roby

There is allways 'quicktime alternative"
***********************************final...m#quicktimealt

steve

daemon9 wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:11:51 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>> The current Windows OSes are poorly suited to systems like this. They
>> were also interested to see Knoppix/Linux up and running very well on the
>> same system.....and saw it as their upgrade path.

> What about Mac?
>
> -R

Sorry.....certainly works on Mac...

steve

GraB wrote:

> That is typical Apple.**It*seems*strange*to*me*that*Apple*are*playing
> into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
> the XP.**I*found*the*same*thing*with*iPod*software.**It*won't*install
> on Win98SE.

Maybe DRM can't be enforced on Win9x....but can be on WinXP and 2K.

> Have you tried Quicktime Alternative which comes with Media Player
> Classic and also Real Alternative?

Never heard of them. I'll look into it now you've mentioned it.

steve

whoisthis wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> That is typical Apple. It seems strange to me that Apple are playing
>> into the hands of their natural enemy by forcing people to 'upgrade'
>> the XP. I found the same thing with iPod software. It won't install
>> on Win98SE.

> yea, how disgusting, refusing to support a dead OS 7 years old.

Far from dead.

Current estimates show more than 25% of all PCs run this "dead OS".

steve

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> Not only that, but I refused to download QT on my new box because now it's
> only available with iTunes... I never used iTunes, and apparently it's a
> pain to remove or change extensions after this is installed.

Yes....I saw iTunes was a forced bundle.....at 32MB total.

These folk were on dial-up until today.....and had trouble downloading
anything over 1MB due to the phone line dropping constantly.

steve

SteveM wrote:

> You can get quicktime without itunes;
>
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
>
> SteveM

If that is mentioned anywhere on the main download page, it's in white text
on a white background.

Dave Taylor

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Sorry.....certainly works on Mac...

Are you trolling?
Mac os version?

Oh wait I went and looked:
QuickTime 7 for
Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later

--
Ciao, Dave

David

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Did a fresh Win98SE install on a friend's system - PIII-440MHz with 128MB
>>of
>>RAM.
>>
>>Best fit.
>>
>>Went to download the latest version of Apple Quicktime (7.0) and found v7
>>ONLY supports Win2K and XP.....and that all the new movie trailers only
>>support Quicktime 7.
>>
>>So I hunted around and managed to find Quicktime 6.5.1 in the Support area
>>of the Apple site.....and installed that instead....but it only plays the
>>less recent trailers and other stuff.
>>

> Not only that, but I refused to download QT on my new box because now it's
> only available with iTunes... I never used iTunes, and apparently it's a
> pain to remove or change extensions after this is installed.

If you extract the iTunes installer using WinRAR (just right
click->Extract) you can just run QuicktimeInstaller.exe, however you
still end up downloading the whole lot.

-=rjh=-

steve wrote:
> SteveM wrote:
>

>>You can get quicktime without itunes;
>>
>>http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
>>
>>SteveM

> If that is mentioned anywhere on the main download page, it's in white text
> on a white background.

No, it isn't - I've been there, done that - the link is just a wee bit
obscure. Far bottom right corner.

Annoyed me, too - when you want to download iTunes, it is hard to find a
standalone version (as I posted here a few weeks back). Don't Apple
think their products stand on their own merits, so they have to force
people to download them?

steve

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Annoyed me, too - when you want to download iTunes, it is hard to find a
> standalone version (as I posted here a few weeks back). Don't Apple
> think their products stand on their own merits, so they have to force
> people to download them?

They're just doing a Microsoft.....in the same way they make you take their
browser and e-mail program with Windows.

These closed, private companies are all alike in that regard. If they think
they can, they WILL force you to do what they what they want you to
do.....and not what you might like them to do for you.

It's precisely that behaviour that gave rise to Open Source...and the search
for freedom from such things.