Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > duplicate files help reqd...

duplicate files help reqd...

XPD

Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
:-p

Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
along the lines of...

c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)

Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
but some have been modified and some not.
Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
manually using this.
Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

TIA

news.xtra.co.nz

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
> :-p
>
> Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
> by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
> along the lines of...
>
> c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
> c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)
>
> Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
> directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
> which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
> but some have been modified and some not.
> Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
> manually using this.
> Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
> it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?
>
> TIA

have you looked at synctoy? By microsoft, offers a few options not sure if
it will do what you want tho.

Peter

XPD wrote:

> Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
> :-p
>
> Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
> by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
> along the lines of...
>
> c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
> c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)
>
> Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
> directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
> which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
> but some have been modified and some not.
> Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
> manually using this.
> Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
> it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

Make Zip backups of both directories. Unzip 'data2' to target 'data1'
asking it to replace any older files with newer ones. Alternatively zip
'data1' then 'add/refresh' with 'data2', delete 'data2' and contents of
'data1' then unzip into 'data1'. You should still separately zip both
directories first (and copy to a CD etc) so you can get back to square one
if things go haywire.

Dave Taylor

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1133818620.747095.102640
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
> it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

xxcopy has lots of switches.

http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm
http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy01.htm

--
Ciao, Dave

Ralph Fox

On 5 Dec 2005 13:37:00 -0800, in message
*<(E-Mail Removed) .com>, XPD wrote:

> Got a tricky one... or maybe its easy and my brain isnt figuring it out
> :-p
>
> Have a clients PC who has been saving data to 2 different directories
> by accident when it should all be in one dir. Now he has something
> along the lines of...
>
> c:\data\document1.doc (dated 12/11/05)
> c:\data2\document1.doc (dated 12/11/04)
>
> Now what I need to do is move the newer document to a specified
> directory (c:\data) - catch is he has oodles of documents and files
> which need this doing..... most files already exist in both directories
> but some have been modified and some not.
> Ive tried using FolderMatch however it will take me forever to do it
> manually using this.
> Is there a program/script I can use which will compare the dirs I give
> it and move all the newer created/modified files to the right dir ?

XCOPY has a /D option ...

| /D:date Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
| If no date is given, copies only those files whose
| source time is newer than the destination time.

It looks as if the /D option with no date is what you want.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Politics is the art of getting power and
privilege without possessing merit.

John in Surrey

On 5 Dec 2005 13:37:00 -0800, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
robocopy has heaps of switchs to do the job...

john
Images of home (NZ)
http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

alanwo@gmail.com

Hi,

NoClone can find and remove duplicate files regardless of location of
files, however, it still can't compare with directory strucutre.
http://noclone.net

Alan