Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Come on Trademe.co.nz

Reply
Thread Tools

Come on Trademe.co.nz

 
 
The Other Guy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2005
Max wrote:
> This idea has merit, and the promoters would definitely cash in if done
> properly. It would also show what a far market price for the tickets is. The
> promoter are also obviously disgruntled by the scalping as reported in the
> media(perhaps partially because they could have made more money, and you
> never know they may be scalping them too). I agree that they should link the
> tickets with the person who is going to use it.


Any formal linking tickets to people is a bad idea. Why should you
necessarily have to decide who is going in your group months in advance?
What if you want to give the tickets away, or use them in promotions?

Currently airlines are screwing us over with 'non-transferable' tickets,
even though they would provide the same service irrespective of who flys
with them.

It concert tickets become linked to people, then along with that will
come 'discounted' tickets which can't be transfered, over-priced tickets
that can be, and transfer fees. Because tickets are for fixed
individuals, and there will be a certain number of no-shows who can't
make it and can't even give their tickets away, tickets for venues will
exceed capacity by a few percent, preventing ticket holders from even
getting to see the show because they can't get seats because the venue
capacity has been exceeded.

The Other Guy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2005
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:00:09 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:

> Any formal linking tickets to people is a bad idea. Why should you
> necessarily have to decide who is going in your group months in advance?
> What if you want to give the tickets away, or use them in promotions?
>
> Currently airlines are screwing us over with 'non-transferable' tickets,
> even though they would provide the same service irrespective of who flys
> with them.
>
> It concert tickets become linked to people, then along with that will
> come 'discounted' tickets which can't be transfered, over-priced tickets
> that can be, and transfer fees. Because tickets are for fixed
> individuals, and there will be a certain number of no-shows who can't
> make it and can't even give their tickets away, tickets for venues will
> exceed capacity by a few percent, preventing ticket holders from even
> getting to see the show because they can't get seats because the venue
> capacity has been exceeded.
>
> The Other Guy


I think the issue about scalpers is, they are buying tickets they
definitely dont need, purely to profit off them.
Theres a shortage of the tickets, they have bought an amount they only
want to resell, and people who do want to go missed out on the legitimate
sale because of their bulk buying


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thing2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2005
Max wrote:
> I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
> tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website. Even
> though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas in
> many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and other
> NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
> people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be pretty
> safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
> concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
> tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
> The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.
>
>


I used to find this a lot when I lived in London, if I could get a
ticket I was lucky, usually the touts bought most leaving me to barter
at the gate at huge markups or walk away...they did have some pluses
though, if I had spare tickets I could get there a wee bit early and off
load then onto the public or the touts and at least get my money back.

regards

Thing


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2005
"Max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1133754673.472620@ftpsrv1
> I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
> tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their

website.
> Even though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is
> overseas in many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of
> trademe (and other NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the

only
> real contender) that people are overbuying tickets, and real fans
> missing out. It would be pretty safe to say that 99% of teh tickets
> being sold at the moment for the U2 concert, on trademe, are being
> sold by scalpers who have purchased as many tickets as they can.
> Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too. The sooner
> scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.
>


Surely it is a sign of the health of our 'free system' that when the
original seller (promotor?) gets their pricing model wrong and leaves
too much on the table (consumer surplus is that called?), then the
market allows that to be taken up by those who have the motivation to
do so?

The people paying $1,000 for a ticket must (presumably) be happy with
the price they are paying else why would they choose to pay it.

Personally, I thought U2 were crap when I saw them at Wembly in early
90's (Zooropa) - totally failed to engage with the audience. Their
music is great, but as a live act they sucked and most of the audience
agreed from the reactions (or lack of) they were getting - I hope for
the people who bought tickets this time that they have improved in the
years since.

Alan.

--
The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.

It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.

If you are trying to contact me after that time,
it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
to contact me by email, try searching for a
more recent post by me to find my current
email address.

The following is a (probably!) totally unique
and meaningless string of characters that you
can use to find posts by me in a search engine:

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Cooze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2005
Shane wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:00:09 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:
>
>
>>Any formal linking tickets to people is a bad idea. Why should you
>>necessarily have to decide who is going in your group months in advance?
>>What if you want to give the tickets away, or use them in promotions?
>>
>>Currently airlines are screwing us over with 'non-transferable' tickets,
>>even though they would provide the same service irrespective of who flys
>>with them.
>>
>>It concert tickets become linked to people, then along with that will
>>come 'discounted' tickets which can't be transfered, over-priced tickets
>>that can be, and transfer fees. Because tickets are for fixed
>>individuals, and there will be a certain number of no-shows who can't
>>make it and can't even give their tickets away, tickets for venues will
>>exceed capacity by a few percent, preventing ticket holders from even
>>getting to see the show because they can't get seats because the venue
>>capacity has been exceeded.
>>
>>The Other Guy

>
>
> I think the issue about scalpers is, they are buying tickets they
> definitely dont need, purely to profit off them.
> Theres a shortage of the tickets, they have bought an amount they only
> want to resell, and people who do want to go missed out on the legitimate
> sale because of their bulk buying
>
>

There has always been scalping to one shape or another, When I last saw
U2 I could only buy my ticket in a shop the internet was a geek thing
and the likes of traidme didnot exsist. I think there where ticket sails
at the front gate (official) And you could buy dogy Knockoffs from shady
people just arround the corner, Or Jump the gate! It is just now you can
buy the tickets so much faster and sellemoff just as quick to the slower
people.

--
http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

/ __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
/ / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where do bookmark thunbnails come from? Martin Leese Firefox 1 02-07-2005 03:39 AM
access point issue: clients don't come up joao coelho Cisco 1 07-31-2004 06:04 PM
Gigabit Interface Won't Come Up Bert Prefect Cisco 9 01-19-2004 03:52 PM
Come One, Come All Jess Guim Digital Photography 0 12-02-2003 04:43 PM
Cisco 2600, FastEthernet won't come up Craig Bruenderman Cisco 1 11-07-2003 03:21 PM



Advertisments