Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows file-sharing annoyance

Windows file-sharing annoyance

David

I have a folder on this machine (XP Pro with SP2), D:\shared\ which I
have shared on the network (using simple file sharing). The other
machine (laptop, also XP Pro, SP2) can see this share, and I can access
the files that were in the folder when i originally shared it. However,
new files (which are moved to D:\shared from D:\temp by eMule) cannot be
accessed ("Access is denied" type error). Unsharing and re-sharing the
folder does not make these files accessible either. Before i formatted I
also had this problem, I got around it by disabling simple file sharing,
going into preferences and granting 'Everyone' read access to this
folder. However I everytime i added new stuff I would have to open this
dialog again and hit apply for it to work. There must be a better way.
Any suggestions?

TIA

Enkidu

David wrote:
> I have a folder on this machine (XP Pro with SP2), D:\shared\ which I
> have shared on the network (using simple file sharing). The other
> machine (laptop, also XP Pro, SP2) can see this share, and I can access
> the files that were in the folder when i originally shared it. However,
> new files (which are moved to D:\shared from D:\temp by eMule) cannot be
> accessed ("Access is denied" type error). Unsharing and re-sharing the
> folder does not make these files accessible either. Before i formatted I
> also had this problem, I got around it by disabling simple file sharing,
> going into preferences and granting 'Everyone' read access to this
> folder. However I everytime i added new stuff I would have to open this
> dialog again and hit apply for it to work. There must be a better way.
> Any suggestions?

Add the user that you connect with and the user that does the copy to
the same group and give that group read access to the folder and all
files. If necessary create a new group. I'm assuming NTFS.

Cheers,

Cliff

John in Surrey

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:39:06 +1300, David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

If you have moved, (not coyied) the file it has retained its existing
permissions,
copy the file and it will have the same permissions as the exisitng
folder.
go read up on NTFS permissons
john
Images of home (NZ)
http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

David

John in Surrey wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:39:06 +1300, David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> If you have moved, (not coyied) the file it has retained its existing
> permissions,
> copy the file and it will have the same permissions as the exisitng
> folder.
> go read up on NTFS permissons
> john

Thanks for this info, I disabled simple file sharing, granted "Everyone"
Read, Execute and List access to d:\shared, then did the same for
D:\temp (which is not shared on the network, and is where the files are
initially created). Hopefully this should solve the problem.