Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Getting the sound to work, suggestions please

Getting the sound to work, suggestions please

The Black Wibble

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dmm038$hq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I look after sixteen workstations, they are not all the same, technicians
>look after the network they belong to and I'm just the local help desk,
>finding lost icons, adjusting app settings, that sort of thing for no extra
>wages.
>
> One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can hear it
> spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked at all the
> sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the leads to make sure
> they are the same as the other stations, there appears to be no error
> messages in the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice to listen to a cd! I'm glad
> it's not my station.
>
> Any suggestions? I could call one of those cool techs, but you know, they
> have a thousand more important things to do.
> Joy

CD drives have a headphone socket, so all you need are headphones.

Tony.

Joy

I look after sixteen workstations, they are not all the same, technicians
look after the network they belong to and I'm just the local help desk,
finding lost icons, adjusting app settings, that sort of thing for no extra
wages.

One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can hear it
spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked at all the
sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the leads to make sure they
are the same as the other stations, there appears to be no error messages in
the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice to listen to a cd! I'm glad it's not my
station.

Any suggestions? I could call one of those cool techs, but you know, they
have a thousand more important things to do.
Joy

Nicholas Sherlock

Joy wrote:
> One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can hear it
> spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked at all the
> sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the leads to make sure they
> are the same as the other stations, there appears to be no error messages in
> the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice to listen to a cd! I'm glad it's not my
> station.

When you say that you've checked the leads, have you checked that the
audio cable from the CDROM to the motherboard/soundcard is properly
installed?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Joy

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dmm0dq$p7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joy wrote:
>> One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can hear it
>> spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked at all the
>> sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the leads to make sure
>> they are the same as the other stations, there appears to be no error
>> messages in the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice to listen to a cd! I'm glad
>> it's not my station.

> When you say that you've checked the leads, have you checked that the
> audio cable from the CDROM to the motherboard/soundcard is properly
> installed?

I've just checked the outside. I'm quite competent to do what you suggest,
but I'd not like to, it's really that I haven't been given that licence.
Music cd's did work in that station some time ago.
Any other suggestions?
Joy

SteveM

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dmm1fc$2nt$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dmm0dq$p7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Joy wrote:
>>> One of them can produce no sound, the cd appears to work, you can
>>> hear it spinning and I know it works on other stations. I've looked
>>> at all the sound settings, local and soundmax, I've checked the
>>> leads to make sure they are the same as the other stations, there
>>> appears to be no error messages in the logs, I'm stumped. I'ts nice
>>> to listen to a cd! I'm glad it's not my station.

>> When you say that you've checked the leads, have you checked that the
>> audio cable from the CDROM to the motherboard/soundcard is properly
>> installed?

> I've just checked the outside. I'm quite competent to do what you
> suggest, but I'd not like to, it's really that I haven't been given
> that licence. Music cd's did work in that station some time ago.
> Any other suggestions?
> Joy

Go to device manager and bring up the properties of the CD drive.
Click the properties tabs and make sure the "enabler digital audio check
box is enabled.

See how that goes......

SteveM

J Brockley

If its just the CD that not making sound check the audio lead between cd
drive and sound card. This is fairly easy as its usually a small grey cable
going from CD to motherboard or soundcard.
Alternatively in device manager check CD properties and check Enable digital
audio ticked. (applies to win2k/xp)