Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What Firefox needs..

What Firefox needs..

./

JC wrote:
> JC wrote:
>
>> A couple of things Firefox needs iin my opinion is a new page/tab
>> button on the main toolbar and also the ability to close tabs
>> individually. Unless it already has this feature and I am missing
>> something.

> Closing tabs without right clicking I mean.

Yes you missing the little red X at the right hand end of the tabs.

bambam

JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dmlcv2$s9h$(E-Mail Removed):

> A couple of things Firefox needs iin my opinion is a new page/tab button
> on the main toolbar

View/Toolbar/Customize

> and also the ability to close tabs individually.
> Unless it already has this feature and I am missing something.

Tab X is the extension you want-

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/clav/#tabx

Don't know if it works with 1.5, I'm waiting for a week or two before
upgrading.

steve

JC wrote:

> True, but if you have just two tabs open and click the close current tab
> button, it closes both of them.

Not on my machine. It closes one....and leaves me with the lone page taking
up the whole browser width 9as it should).

On the system I just tried it on, I used Firefox 1.06 on Linux.

~misfit~

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:47:20 +1300, someone purporting to be JC didst
> scrawl:
>
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:

> *SNIP*
>> True, but if you have just two tabs open and click the close current
>> tab button, it closes both of them. Does on my computer anyway. What
>> I was meaning was a feature like Opera where there is a close button
>> on each tab. I didn't know about the double click though, thanks for
>> that.

> Edit, Preferences, Advanced. In the Tabbed Browsing section, you can
> get it to display the tab bar when only one tab is open.

Or, in the case of 1.0.7, Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck "Hide Tab bar
when only one tab open" in the Tabbed browsing section..

Like I said, I'll upgrade to 1.5 when I get the little "upgrade available"
icon at the top right.
--
~misfit~

JC

bambam wrote:
> JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dmlcv2$s9h$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>A couple of things Firefox needs iin my opinion is a new page/tab button
>>on the main toolbar

> View/Toolbar/Customize
>

>>and also the ability to close tabs individually.
>>Unless it already has this feature and I am missing something.

> Tab X is the extension you want-
>
> http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/clav/#tabx
>
> Don't know if it works with 1.5, I'm waiting for a week or two before
> upgrading.

Excellent. Thanks for that. It does work with 1.5

Matthew Poole

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:04:56 +1300, someone purporting to be ~misfit~
didst scrawl:

> Matthew Poole wrote:

*SNIP*
>> Edit, Preferences, Advanced. In the Tabbed Browsing section, you can
>> get it to display the tab bar when only one tab is open.

> Or, in the case of 1.0.7, Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck "Hide Tab bar
> when only one tab open" in the Tabbed browsing section..

*SNIP*

Interesting. I'm using 1.0.7, but on FreeBSD. I never really paid any
attention to the differences in menu layout between the Windows version
and the FreeBSD version.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

~misfit~

Matthew Poole wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:04:56 +1300, someone purporting to be ~misfit~
> didst scrawl:
>
>> Matthew Poole wrote:

> *SNIP*
>>> Edit, Preferences, Advanced. In the Tabbed Browsing section, you can
>>> get it to display the tab bar when only one tab is open.

>> Or, in the case of 1.0.7, Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck "Hide
>> Tab bar when only one tab open" in the Tabbed browsing section..
>>

> *SNIP*
>
> Interesting. I'm using 1.0.7, but on FreeBSD. I never really paid any
> attention to the differences in menu layout between the Windows
> version and the FreeBSD version.

Interesting indeed. Strange that they should be different.
--
~misfit~

Fishb8

Get Opera!!

Alden Bates

JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What I was meaning was a feature like Opera where there is a close button on each
>tab.

The extension Tab Mix Plus will do that...

Alden
--
http://www.tetrap.com

Murray Symon

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:18:19 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Matthew Poole wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:04:56 +1300, someone purporting to be ~misfit~
>> didst scrawl:
>>
>>> Matthew Poole wrote:

>> *SNIP*
>>>
>>> Or, in the case of 1.0.7, Tools, Options, Advanced, uncheck "Hide Tab
>>> bar when only one tab open" in the Tabbed browsing section..
>>>

>> *SNIP*
>>
>> Interesting. I'm using 1.0.7, but on FreeBSD. I never really paid any
>> attention to the differences in menu layout between the Windows version
>> and the FreeBSD version.

> Interesting indeed. Strange that they should be different.

It's an attempt to try to be consistent with the target platform (ie. Gtk
vs. MS-Windows).