Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Nav man pocket pc

Reply
Thread Tools

Nav man pocket pc

 
 
Mauricio Freitas [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2005
"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LYajf.4790$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Tvajf.4779$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi can anyone tell me if
>>
>> 1 Are they any good and
>>
>> 2 Can these connect to the net
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>

>
> Navman don't include gyroscopic / vehicle speed sensing technology - this
> is only good for cars though, and means that the sat nav can still guess
> pretty much where you are even when the sat signal is lost.
>
> Other than that , i don't know if those are any good (and the fact a
> navman product took some australians via a 4wd track when they wanted to
> drive from chch to nelson.
>


That apparently was because the settings on the device were changed to
"Avoid highways".

--
Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mauricio Freitas [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2005
"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xhbjf.4795$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Tvajf.4779$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi can anyone tell me if
>>>
>>> 1 Are they any good and
>>>
>>> 2 Can these connect to the net
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>>
>> They are good.
>>
>> Check our review of PiN Pocket PC here:
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3973
>>
>> That specific model can connect to the Internet, but not in a practical
>> way. On that model you can connect to the Internet using ActiveSync
>> Passthrough, i.e. when your Pocket PC is connected to your PC it will
>> automaticall have access to the Interne. Another option is using Infrared
>> via a mobile phone (GPRS or CDMA).
>>
>> The Pocket PC itself have no wireless LAN or GPRS or CDMA capabilities.
>> If you need this, then the best option is to get a Pocket PC from one of
>> the operators and purchase the Navman map from a retail store (DSE has
>> got them).
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas
>> www.geekzone.co.nz
>> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>>

>
> Hi thanks for that you have a great site and great info on the nav man .
> How long do you think the battery will last before it will not hold a
> charge any more?
>
> Being non replaceable dose that mean I have to chuck it away and buy a new
> one or would the warrenty cover that ?
>


These batteries last some time, but I recommend asking Navman what is the
cover if you need them replaced.

--
Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mauricio Freitas [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2005
"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:438d4cea$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phil wrote:
>> Hi can anyone tell me if
>>
>> 1 Are they any good and
>>
>> 2 Can these connect to the net
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>>

> My experience of Navman is that it's a clever product, but be prepared for
> the most paranoid authentification procedures if you ever want to install
> a different map.
>
> On my in-car model IN635, the acquisition, for a stonking $400, of
> Australian maps led to a downward spiral of paranoia, with Navman's
> website refusing to talk to my computer until I disabled the firewall and
> turned off my virus protection, and even then it wouldn't install. It took
> a one hour call to the help desk to go through a repetitive procedure that
> their own tech support agreed was beyond all reasonable belief.
>
> Incidentally, the map of New Zealand is out of date and at one point on SH
> 1 from Northland to Auckland tells me to take a right turn off the highway
> and into a farm track, which it never mentions again. There are no street
> numbers in the index, which is poorly organised - try finding a place in
> Great South Road, Auckland, if you don't know the name of the district the
> place is in.
>
> Oh yeah, and the Australian map is pretty shoddy: I have family in Taree
> and Redhead Beach NSW. Navman couldn't find a subdivision more than five
> years old in Redhead Beach, and had no record at all of Taree, a town of
> some 20 000 people that's been there for more than 150 years.
>
> A brilliant idea, but crap execution. Less time spent on paranoid copy
> protection and more time spent on getting the maps right would pay
> dividends.
>


They do update their maps and release some updates - but the main thing is,
theirs is the only product available around. Unless you are happy with
installing some software on your PC or Pocket PC and then manually
configuring maps from scanned images.



--
Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2005
Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> They do update their maps and release some updates - but the main thing is,
> theirs is the only product available around. Unless you are happy with
> installing some software on your PC or Pocket PC and then manually
> configuring maps from scanned images.


I tried using tumonz for navigation once. Gave up when it told me to turn right
from newton road onto the northwestern citybound, theres no onramp there. Plus
it didnt have realtime re-calculation of the route etc. Navman seem to have the
upper hand in nz since tomtom dont do maps here when I last looked
 
Reply With Quote
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2005

Richard wrote:
> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>
> > They do update their maps and release some updates - but the main thing is,
> > theirs is the only product available around. Unless you are happy with
> > installing some software on your PC or Pocket PC and then manually
> > configuring maps from scanned images.

>
> I tried using tumonz for navigation once. Gave up when it told me to turn right
> from newton road onto the northwestern citybound, theres no onramp there. Plus
> it didnt have realtime re-calculation of the route etc. Navman seem to have the
> upper hand in nz since tomtom dont do maps here when I last looked


No, but they have set up in Australia so maybe it might happen.

I used TomTom Navigator2 around the UK and it was very very impressive.
However it did once direct me across a hayfield - must have been a road
that never got built!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NAV, NAV 5x.... Norton Anit-Virus?? MrDave Microsoft Certification 0 08-09-2009 07:48 PM
Georgia Man Safe After iPod Catches Fire in Pocket Malcolm NZ Computing 0 10-06-2007 03:25 AM
New releases: The Man With the Golden Arm, Cinderella Man & Dead & Buried; Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 08-16-2005 05:35 AM
Setting initial focus in html using Javascript - Pocket IE on Windows 2003 Pocket PC dsnyder Javascript 2 04-14-2004 03:58 PM
conflict between man perlipc and man perlfunc !? Jaap Karssenberg Perl Misc 0 01-09-2004 11:39 PM



Advertisments