Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hard drive dying?

Hard drive dying?

XP

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:49 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>XP wrote:
>> [...] try reseating the Power plug
>> and check that its only use for the hard drives and no intermediate
>> plug/socked in between, like a Fan connector.

>Thanks Roger, that was the solution. My drive is running fine now. That
>poor thing: 3 power cycles in 10 seconds at one point. My fan runs
>quieter too .
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas Sherlock

Yes powering of a Hard drive will often give you errors, and some times that
are hard to recover from

I had a drive that had 3 Sectors flagged as Bad due to computer lock ups and
powering off the PC.

I decided that the Drive was 100% OK and went about recovering these bad
sectors.

Once they are Flagged in the Fat table you can't recover them, but what if
you reset the flag in the Fat table.

This I did and all was OK again.

With Cooling case Fans, it best to use the adapter with a connector that does
not matter, in one case I fitted Floppy Drive plugs to the Fans as has a few
sparse..

Alan

"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:49 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> XP wrote:
>>> [...] try reseating the Power plug
>>> and check that its only use for the hard drives and no

intermediate
>>> plug/socked in between, like a Fan connector.

>> Thanks Roger, that was the solution. My drive is running fine now.
>> That poor thing: 3 power cycles in 10 seconds at one point. My fan
>> runs quieter too .
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nicholas Sherlock

> Yes powering of a Hard drive will often give you errors, and some
> times that are hard to recover from
>

> I had a drive that had 3 Sectors flagged as Bad due to computer lock
> ups and powering off the PC.
>
> I decided that the Drive was 100% OK and went about recovering

these
> bad sectors.
>
> Once they are Flagged in the Fat table you can't recover them, but
> what if you reset the flag in the Fat table.
>

> This I did and all was OK again.
>
> With Cooling case Fans, it best to use the adapter with a connector
> that does not matter, in one case I fitted Floppy Drive plugs to the
> Fans as has a few sparse..

Just out of interest, what do you gain by reclaiming the three
sectors?

It doesn't seem to be a worthwhile use of time for such a small amout
of additional disk space, but presumably there is some other
motivation that makes it rational? Does it materially improve
performance for example?

Thanks,

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

XP

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:59:45 +1300, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:49 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>intermediate
>>>
>>> Thanks Roger, that was the solution. My drive is running fine now.
>>> That poor thing: 3 power cycles in 10 seconds at one point. My fan
>>> runs quieter too .
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Nicholas Sherlock

>> Yes powering of a Hard drive will often give you errors, and some
>> times that are hard to recover from
>>

>> I had a drive that had 3 Sectors flagged as Bad due to computer lock
>> ups and powering off the PC.
>>
>> I decided that the Drive was 100% OK and went about recovering

>these
>> bad sectors.
>>
>> Once they are Flagged in the Fat table you can't recover them, but
>> what if you reset the flag in the Fat table.
>>

>> This I did and all was OK again.
>>
>> With Cooling case Fans, it best to use the adapter with a connector
>> that does not matter, in one case I fitted Floppy Drive plugs to the
>> Fans as has a few sparse..

>Just out of interest, what do you gain by reclaiming the three
>sectors?

It was a challenge to do it, like why People clime mountains..

>It doesn't seem to be a worthwhile use of time for such a small amout
>of additional disk space, but presumably there is some other
>motivation that makes it rational? Does it materially improve
>performance for example?

Yes it helps my Brain..

>Thanks,
>
>Alan.

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:20:39 +1300, GraB wrote:

> Speedfan can tell you a lot.

Speedfan can tell you nothing for anybody except for those running an
iteration of Micro$oft Windoze.

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

David

Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:20:39 +1300, GraB wrote:
>

>>Speedfan can tell you a lot.

> Speedfan can tell you nothing for anybody except for those running an
> iteration of Micro$oft Windoze.
>

> Undeniably Sluttish

Which is the case for most people, and just because it can't run on
every system doesn't make his statement false.