Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ has such poor broadband Microsoft is worried they cannot offer "Live"

NZ has such poor broadband Microsoft is worried they cannot offer "Live"

~misfit~

MarkH wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Peter wrote:

>>> Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
>>> privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
>>> access available to mere mortals and employees.

>> Who gives a ****? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to
>> offer better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
>> appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.

> I agree, MS are even helping the Linux community by pushing for better
> broadband (I use a reasonable amount of bandwidth downloading Linux
> ISOs).
>
> But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me around
$80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm). Since then I've
used MS mice from places like OEM Computers, currently around $30 for the
basic optical and good for a few years, and have had no complaints.
--
~misfit~

XP

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:06:18 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Peter wrote:

>>> Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
>>> privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
>>> access available to mere mortals and employees.

>> Who gives a ****? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to
>> offer better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
>> appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.

>I agree, MS are even helping the Linux community by pushing for better
>broadband (I use a reasonable amount of bandwidth downloading Linux ISOs).
>
>But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

But what about this one

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/laser.htm

http://www.gamewizz.com/product.php?id=14121

This one looks different

http://www.gamesman.co.nz/product.php?id=4938

The Warehouse stocks the Black one..

brianM

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:18:14 +1000, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>>
>>> Microsofts future "Live" offerings apparently rely on decent broadband
>>> connections. MS are so worried about the state of NZ broadband that
>>> even they are whining to the govt now.
>>>

>> Who cares what Microsoft think, and why should microsoft have
>> privileged access to politicians, senior managers, etc compared with
>> access available to mere mortals and employees.

> Who gives a ****? If they can get Telecom (and hence other ISPs) to
> offer better broadband, I'll actually buy more MS products to show my
> appreciation. All my mice are MS opticals and I like them.

Here's another thought.
With Googledom's net-domination depending on good steady broadband feed,
you would think that Microsoft would be scrambling to keep the status
quo, afterall, why would they want to play into Googles hands unless they
believe they can outgoogle them. If Google brings out an open source
cross-platform browser, the fat lady will be warming up the vocals.
I predicted in 2002 on this group that the internet might fork and I
still hold that view. Two internets? sounds impossible?. The coming
battle between Microsoft and Google is going to more fun to watch than
Gladiator.

good stuff on Google at

cheers
BrianM

Brendan

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:25:02 +1300, Richard wrote:

> Back then it wasnt clear that there would even be ADSL initially, and then there
> were not too many complaints about it. its only in the last 3-4 years that
> people have really started to get shitty about it and want to see something
> done. I dont think either party would have handled things that differently.

I think either party could have looked at what was happening overseas.

> Were labour bitching about it last time when Maurice was incharge of telecomm's?
> I cant recall that far back.

No, they were not. And neither has National, act, or any of the other
useless bastards.

Because they are politicians. Unless it gets them votes or saves them
embarrassment, they do not care. What ****es me off though just as much is
how the right wing supporters conveiniently forget and ignore their sides
abysmal performance in the past so they can freely bash the other side.

Hypocrisy.

And they wonder why they are looked down on ?

--

.... Brendan

#8814 +(5882)- [X]

<Night-hen-gayle> I gotta go. There's a dude next to me and he's watching
me type, which is sort of starting to creep me out. Yes dude next to me, I
mean you.

Note: All my comments are copyright 30/11/2005 2:09:21 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

MarkH

XP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:06:18 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

> But what about this one
>
> http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/laser.htm
>

> http://www.gamewizz.com/product.php?id=14121

What about it? It offers nothing that is not on my current Logitech mouse
and my Logitech is cordless.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

MarkH

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:438c408c$(E-Mail Removed):

> MarkH wrote:

>> But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

> Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me
> around $80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm). Since
> then I've used MS mice from places like OEM Computers, currently
> around $30 for the basic optical and good for a few years, and have
> had no complaints.

After 2 MS optical mice failed I bought a Logitech MX-300 about 3 years
ago, it is still working well. I now use a Logitech MX-1000 cordless laser
mouse and it is damn good. I regularly use MS mice at customer sites and I
don't find them as good as my 3 year old Logitech mouse.

But to each their own I suppose.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

XP

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:07:39 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:06:18 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

>> But what about this one
>>
>> http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/laser.htm
>>

>> http://www.gamewizz.com/product.php?id=14121

>What about it? It offers nothing that is not on my current Logitech mouse
>and my Logitech is cordless.

Yes but the Price..?

I play games, cordless mice are useless that is why I have a G5

XP

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:10:53 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:438c408c$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> MarkH wrote:

>>> But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

>> Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me
>> around $80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm). Since
>> then I've used MS mice from places like OEM Computers, currently
>> around $30 for the basic optical and good for a few years, and have
>> had no complaints.

>After 2 MS optical mice failed I bought a Logitech MX-300 about 3 years
>ago, it is still working well. I now use a Logitech MX-1000 cordless laser
>mouse and it is damn good. I regularly use MS mice at customer sites and I
>don't find them as good as my 3 year old Logitech mouse.
>
>But to each their own I suppose.

I have one of the First Topend Led MS mice( intelliMouse Explorer) , the first
one had the Button problem and Brett Roberts here had it replaced, must be
some 4 years old now and still working 100%

Mind you I do not abuse the stuff I have..

Richard

XP wrote:

> I have one of the First Topend Led MS mice( intelliMouse Explorer) , the first
> one had the Button problem and Brett Roberts here had it replaced, must be
> some 4 years old now and still working 100%
>
> Mind you I do not abuse the stuff I have..

My MS trackball optical (the one with the red light around the ball) is still
working 100 % - there is a small chip in the ball that occasionally clicks over
the little metal supports, but other then that its as smooth as the day I got it.

~misfit~

MarkH wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:438c408c$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> MarkH wrote:

>>> But MS optical mice are not as good as the Logitech ones.

>> Ok. I had a bad experience with a Logitech mouse years ago. Cost me
>> around $80 (which was a lot for me back then) and was crap (tm).
>> Since then I've used MS mice from places like OEM Computers,
>> currently around $30 for the basic optical and good for a few years,
>> and have had no complaints.

> After 2 MS optical mice failed I bought a Logitech MX-300 about 3
> years ago, it is still working well. I now use a Logitech MX-1000
> cordless laser mouse and it is damn good. I regularly use MS mice at
> customer sites and I don't find them as good as my 3 year old
> Logitech mouse.
>
> But to each their own I suppose.

Oh well, if and when I find myself in the position/s of having need of a
mouse and having money I may give Logitech another chance.

I'm afraid that, for me, it's not a matter of what's better, it's a matter
of what's affordable. Who would have thought that a MS product would fit
that bill?

Cheers,
--
~misfit~