Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Downloading FTA TV shows

Downloading FTA TV shows

Mutlley

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mutley wrote:
>
>> shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>It is enforceable, and its designed to be selective and because it is
>>>civil law its up to the pigopolist copyright holders and their agents
>>>and reps to take action.
>>>
>>>So they take action against bittorrent tracker sites etc.
>>>Pubs showing video recorded off air are a target, and different licences
>>>are enforced for Sky in pubs as opposed to private homes.
>>>The present law is adequate, but the people saying it is not apart from
>>>you are those who want drm in your appliances, so be careful what you
>>>wish for.
>>>
>>>The reason that you can download these programmes and watch them now is
>>>because its pretty new and there aren't a lot of people doing it, enough
>>>to impact on the revenue of the broadcasters.
>>>
>>>So you can be smug for a while

>> Boy.. There are some real "hollier than thou" people in the news
>> group.. I virtually always download the programs before they are on
>> here because .
>> Locally
>> 1. They never guarantee to screen the whole series.
>> 2. They may not every screen it,
>> 3. They may screen it years after it was made.

>Star Trek: Next Generation screened FOUR YEARS late in NZ thanks to
>whichever of the networks bought the rights, then didn't show it.

TVNZ CH2 had the rights and eventually showed it at about 3.30 pm
Saturday afternoons . It eventually went to an evening slot but I
can't remember who with..

>Had the Net been around then, by the time they did show it, everyone would
>have been out playing in the garden. Already seen it.
>
>> 4. They may compress two 1 hour episodes into one 1 hour program
>> 5. They may not show the complete program as was show in the country
>> of origin.

>All true.

JohnO

shannon wrote:
> steve wrote:
> > I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
> >
> > For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
> > the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
> > the time.
> >
> > Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
> >
> > So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
> > usefully watch on the telly itself.
> >
> > This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
> > time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
> > format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
> > Illegal?
> >
> > Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
> > without getting Sky.
> >
> > ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
> >

> So you steal it

I don't think anyone, even the copyright owners, really give a ****
about a person making a copy for their own use, of material that is
broadcast FTA.

shannon

JohnO wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>> steve wrote:
>>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>>
>>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
>>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>>>
>>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I can't
>>> usefully watch on the telly itself.
>>>
>>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at 21:30......same
>>> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
>>> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
>>> Illegal?
>>>
>>> Probably......but there's no other way I'm going to see this FTA program
>>> without getting Sky.
>>>
>>> ...and for $50 / month to watch 3shows / week....I'm not getting Sky.
>>>

>> So you steal it

> I don't think anyone, even the copyright owners, really give a ****
> about a person making a copy for their own use, of material that is
> broadcast FTA.

I think they have been pretty active persecuting various peer to peer
networks.
They just have limited resources, but their treatment of various
networks and tracker sites would definitely imply that they care.

steve

shannon wrote:

> I think they have been pretty active persecuting various peer to peer
> networks.
> They just have limited resources, but their treatment of various
> networks and tracker sites would definitely imply that they care.

More about sharing movies.

I've not seen anyone prosecuted or hassled for sharing ONLY TV programs.

shannon

steve wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>
>> I think they have been pretty active persecuting various peer to peer
>> networks.
>> They just have limited resources, but their treatment of various
>> networks and tracker sites would definitely imply that they care.

> More about sharing movies.
>
> I've not seen anyone prosecuted or hassled for sharing ONLY TV programs.

Same content providers, same distributors, same MPAA representation.
Especially with your favourites like CSI and the other series produced
by big name producers like Jerry Bruckheimer.
They don't discriminate.
DVDs of TV series are a growing market, which is why we are even seeing
local series like Outrageous Fortune now released on DVD

IE shows false and Firefox shows true Gianni Javascript 3 07-10-2009 09:18 PM
FTA TV Question Warwick NZ Computing 10 04-13-2009 05:46 AM
FTA Digital TV Sticky NZ Computing 24 06-26-2006 01:02 AM
FTA digital TV in NZ wadefleming@yahoo.com NZ Computing 10 11-16-2005 07:33 AM
Session var in page_load shows old value, buttonclick shows new . Whats wrong gce ASP .Net 0 05-07-2005 06:50 AM

Advertisments