Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Downloading FTA TV shows

Downloading FTA TV shows

steve

Craig Sutton wrote:

> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>
>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
>> the time.
>>
>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>>
>> So I've been using Bittorent and gnutella to download the episodes I
>> can't usefully watch on the telly itself.
>>
>> This week, we (happened to) watched NCIS on Sunday night at

> 21:30......same
>> time and episode as on the telly.....but we watched it in 'HDTV' 16:9
>> format on the computer instead...with clean sound for a change.
>> Illegal?

> Crap...are you saying you watched it in 1920x1080 resolution with Ac3
> audio? That is HDTV..not some scaled down hacked ripped version.

Format problems....

Mark Harmon said exactly the same things in both shows.....I assume.

I assume because I couldn't hear the one being broadcast.

shannon

steve wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:

>>> I borrowed a digital VHS tape and played it in my digital VHS player from
>>> the guy 'next door".
>>>
>>> The situation highlights how silly the current law is......that one could
>>> "steal" something that is freely given away anyway, simply by accessing
>>> it via a different access method.

>> No, you downloaded it from others who are illegally distributing
>> copyright content.

> ...and the difference to sharing a videotape would be nil.

Not true, its a different transaction.
However recording off air onto a video tape then giving or selling that
recording to others is also a copyright infringement accordin to the
copyright act.

>> You can download movies, software etc that you do not have a right to
>> that way, just like the TV programme

> I don't download those things. They aren't given away freely in my living
> room each day.

A digitally downloaded copy of a programme is not given away in your
living room
A broadcast transmission of a programme is made available for you to
view by a local broadcaster

shannon

steve wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:

>> Then the copy has been distributed without the copright mark attached.
>> Another copyright law infringement.

> Sort of like a partial videotape of the program, then. Less the credits.

Or a book minus the copyright page

A legit copy includes the copyright notice.

>> Not doing too well here in the ethics department.
>>

> Probably haven't been for 25 years or so....along with you and everyone
> else.
>
> Did you tape One News on Monday? There was a segment on there about a
> Ferrari......someone posted here asking for it.
>
> Though it would be illegal to share it if you did record it.
>
> To save you time, I'm not arguing the legality.
>
> My post was intended to highlight some of issues by example and to
> demonstrate the present law is silly.........and unenforceable.
>
> If I call the police and report I downloaded a show, watched it, and then
> deleted it, I'd be lucky if they didn't prosecute me for wasting their
> time.

It is enforceable, and its designed to be selective and because it is
civil law its up to the pigopolist copyright holders and their agents
and reps to take action.

So they take action against bittorrent tracker sites etc.
Pubs showing video recorded off air are a target, and different licences
are enforced for Sky in pubs as opposed to private homes.
The present law is adequate, but the people saying it is not apart from
you are those who want drm in your appliances, so be careful what you
wish for.

The reason that you can download these programmes and watch them now is
because its pretty new and there aren't a lot of people doing it, enough
to impact on the revenue of the broadcasters.

So you can be smug for a while

steve

shannon wrote:
> steve wrote:

>> To save you time, I'm not arguing the legality.
>> My post was intended to highlight some of issues by example and to
>> demonstrate the present law is silly.........and unenforceable.
>> If I call the police and report I downloaded a show, watched it, and then
>> deleted it, I'd be lucky if they didn't prosecute me for wasting their
>> time.

> It is enforceable, and its designed to be selective and because it is
> civil law its up to the pigopolist copyright holders and their agents
> and reps to take action.

OK...enforceable against the greedy/stupid few who operate on a big
enough scale to attract attention. Doing far more than "sampling"....and
movin' on over into wide distribution.

> So they take action against bittorrent tracker sites etc.

Yeah...I can see that. But what are they going to do about open source
gnutella?

No central sites to target and no targetable authors?

> Pubs showing video recorded off air are a target, and different licences
> are enforced for Sky in pubs as opposed to private homes.

Fair enough. They're businesses.

> The present law is adequate, but the people saying it is not apart from
> you are those who want drm in your appliances, so be careful what you
> wish for.

The law makes everyone a criminal.....just not prosecuted.

That's not good law. It creates contempt for law as people are not equal
before the law......

> The reason that you can download these programmes and watch them now is
> because its pretty new and there aren't a lot of people doing it, enough
> to impact on the revenue of the broadcasters.

They won't know until the Nielson ratings start to fall.....and even
then they won't "know".

> So you can be smug for a while

You're the smug one as far as I can see.

I'm watching a V show I can't otherwise see due to intereference.

Interestingly, I have had TV3 on in the background without nay
problems.....then at exactly 18:57 the interference started....and is
gradually increasing....more frequent and louder.

I did not turn anything on - or off.

Weird.

steve

shannon wrote:

> However recording off air onto a video tape then giving or selling that
> recording to others is also a copyright infringement accordin to the
> copyright act.

I know and it must be one of the most widely ignored aspects of
copyright law.

>>> You can download movies, software etc that you do not have a right to
>>> that way, just like the TV programme

>> I don't download those things. They aren't given away freely in my living
>> room each day.

> A digitally downloaded copy of a programme is not given away in your
> living room

A version with identical content is.

> A broadcast transmission of a programme is made available for you to
> view by a local broadcaster

But I can't watch it due to interfrence.........

Do they offer a guaranttee I can enforce?

CyiPherX

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:13:08 +1300, steve wrote:

> CyiPherX wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:14:29 +1300, steve wrote:
>>
>>> I odn't have Sky. I watch maybe 3 shows / week with any regularity.
>>>
>>> For some reason, TV3 has recently begun to crackle and hiss like crazy in
>>> the evenings. You can't make out what the people are saying about 50% of
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> Only TV3. Only in the late afternoon and evenings.
>>> SNIP

>> Have you checked your antenna?, if thats ok, then perhaps TV3 have a
>> fault, you could give them a call and let them know, worth a try.
>>
>> CyiPherX

> Why would be it be just the one channel?
> The rest are fine.
> TV3 used to be fine.
> I'd call if I cared.
>
> As it is, I don't wantch much and what I do watch I can see via other means.

Strange!, do your neighbours have the same issue??, do you have an
electrical device that comes on around that time automatically, ripple
relay on your switchboard, lights on a timer, etc..

CyiPherX

--
´╗┐Want to tell the world where you are??
Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup

shannon

steve wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>> steve wrote:

>>> To save you time, I'm not arguing the legality.
>>> My post was intended to highlight some of issues by example and to
>>> demonstrate the present law is silly.........and unenforceable.
>>> If I call the police and report I downloaded a show, watched it, and
>>> then
>>> deleted it, I'd be lucky if they didn't prosecute me for wasting their
>>> time.

>> It is enforceable, and its designed to be selective and because it is
>> civil law its up to the pigopolist copyright holders and their agents
>> and reps to take action.

> OK...enforceable against the greedy/stupid few who operate on a big
> enough scale to attract attention. Doing far more than "sampling"....and
> movin' on over into wide distribution.
>
>> So they take action against bittorrent tracker sites etc.

> Yeah...I can see that. But what are they going to do about open source
> gnutella?
>
> No central sites to target and no targetable authors?
>
>> Pubs showing video recorded off air are a target, and different
>> licences are enforced for Sky in pubs as opposed to private homes.

> Fair enough. They're businesses.
>
>> The present law is adequate, but the people saying it is not apart
>> from you are those who want drm in your appliances, so be careful what
>> you wish for.

> The law makes everyone a criminal.....just not prosecuted.
>
> That's not good law. It creates contempt for law as people are not equal
> before the law......

No, copyright is about commercial rights, the relationship between the
buyer and seller, not crimes

>> The reason that you can download these programmes and watch them now
>> is because its pretty new and there aren't a lot of people doing it,
>> enough to impact on the revenue of the broadcasters.

> They won't know until the Nielson ratings start to fall.....and even
> then they won't "know".
>
>> So you can be smug for a while

> You're the smug one as far as I can see.
>
> I'm watching a V show I can't otherwise see due to intereference.
>
> Interestingly, I have had TV3 on in the background without nay
> problems.....then at exactly 18:57 the interference started....and is
> gradually increasing....more frequent and louder.
>
> I did not turn anything on - or off.
>
> Weird.

I don't have a stake in any of this, I'm just trying to help you understand.
If you don't want to its no big deal.

shannon

steve wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>
>> However recording off air onto a video tape then giving or selling
>> that recording to others is also a copyright infringement accordin to
>> the copyright act.

> I know and it must be one of the most widely ignored aspects of
> copyright law.

>>> I don't download those things. They aren't given away freely in my
>>> living
>>> room each day.

>> A digitally downloaded copy of a programme is not given away in your
>> living room

> A version with identical content is.

The version you download is from someone who has no right to offer it to
you.
You are making a copy that you have no right to.

If you don't accept those rights then the GPL based on those rights also
doesn't apply

>> A broadcast transmission of a programme is made available for you to
>> view by a local broadcaster

> But I can't watch it due to interfrence.........
>
> Do they offer a guaranttee I can enforce?

Thats got nothing to do with your right to download from an unauthorised
distributor of copyright infringing material.

Craig Sutton

news:4387fe1d$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Interestingly, I have had TV3 on in the background without nay
> problems.....then at exactly 18:57 the interference started....and is
> gradually increasing....more frequent and louder.
>
> I did not turn anything on - or off.
>
> Weird.

Might be a radio ham nearby?

Rob J

says...
> shannon wrote:
>

> > So you steal it

> I borrowed a digital VHS tape and played it in my digital VHS player from
> the guy 'next door".

There is no such thing as "digital VHS". VHS is an analogue format.

IE shows false and Firefox shows true Gianni Javascript 3 07-10-2009 09:18 PM
FTA TV Question Warwick NZ Computing 10 04-13-2009 05:46 AM
FTA Digital TV Sticky NZ Computing 24 06-26-2006 01:02 AM
FTA digital TV in NZ wadefleming@yahoo.com NZ Computing 10 11-16-2005 07:33 AM
Session var in page_load shows old value, buttonclick shows new . Whats wrong gce ASP .Net 0 05-07-2005 06:50 AM

Advertisments