Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ based consumer complaints websites, are there any out there?

Reply
Thread Tools

NZ based consumer complaints websites, are there any out there?

 
 
jaqpen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
I am currently experiencing great difficulty trying to obtain good
after sales service from Parallel Imported Ltd regarding a digital
still camera that I purchased from them earlier this year and which
subsequently broke, three and a half months later.

The company's response to the return of my camera and my complaints
regarding the fault and their incompetent after sales service seems to
veer between yet more incompetence and downright dishonesty and they
are being utterly unhelpful and hostile, claiming that I willfully
mistreated, abused and so damaged the camera, which I did not. I
suspect I will have to take the matter to the Disputes Tribunal to gain
a resolution but meanwhile I'd like to warn other consumers out there
about the terrible experience that I am having with this company so
that they are better informed as to the possible downfalls of
purchasing parallel imported products (i.e lack of after sales service
etc.) Unfortunately, I can't find any NZ sites that are equivalent to
e.g badbusinessbureau.com or squeakywheel.com, through which people can
publicize their bad experiences and warn others against purchasing
goods or services from such traders.

I am aware of the Consumers Institute of course, and intend to advise
them of this matter also, but have not been able to find any NZ sites
that enable people to directly submit reports of their experiences for
online publication.

First off, is anyone aware of any such sites? Secondly, if no-one is,
I'd be interested to get any feedback on the idea of setting one up;
e.g do you see a need for it, would you use it? What are your thoughts
on the matter? I would be most interested in and appreciative of any
information / feedback anyone would care to contribute regarding this
issue.

Cheers.

Acknowledgement: Thanks due to Nigel Horrocks (NZ Netguide) for
suggesting that I check out this user group

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
There is an Australian site http://www.notgoodenough.org/ that
sometimes has NZ complaints on it as well

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Marr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
jaqpen wrote:

> I am currently experiencing great difficulty trying to obtain good
> after sales service from Parallel Imported Ltd regarding a digital
> still camera that I purchased from them earlier this year and which
> subsequently broke, three and a half months later.
>
> The company's response to the return of my camera and my complaints
> regarding the fault and their incompetent after sales service seems to
> veer between yet more incompetence and downright dishonesty and they
> are being utterly unhelpful and hostile, claiming that I willfully
> mistreated, abused and so damaged the camera, which I did not. I
> suspect I will have to take the matter to the Disputes Tribunal to gain
> a resolution but meanwhile I'd like to warn other consumers out there
> about the terrible experience that I am having with this company so
> that they are better informed as to the possible downfalls of
> purchasing parallel imported products (i.e lack of after sales service
> etc.) Unfortunately, I can't find any NZ sites that are equivalent to
> e.g badbusinessbureau.com or squeakywheel.com, through which people can
> publicize their bad experiences and warn others against purchasing
> goods or services from such traders.
>
> I am aware of the Consumers Institute of course, and intend to advise
> them of this matter also, but have not been able to find any NZ sites
> that enable people to directly submit reports of their experiences for
> online publication.
>
> First off, is anyone aware of any such sites? Secondly, if no-one is,
> I'd be interested to get any feedback on the idea of setting one up;
> e.g do you see a need for it, would you use it? What are your thoughts
> on the matter? I would be most interested in and appreciative of any
> information / feedback anyone would care to contribute regarding this
> issue.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Acknowledgement: Thanks due to Nigel Horrocks (NZ Netguide) for
> suggesting that I check out this user group



The pain of poor quality remains long after the pleasure of low price has
been forgotten.

I read that on a poster somewhere.

Mackin.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jaqpen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
Thanks for that Nathan, much appreciated It's a pretty interesting
site

 
Reply With Quote
 
jaqpen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
ummm, damn straight! *sigh* I certainly learned the lesson the hard
way!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
On 24 Nov 2005 19:28:58 -0800, "jaqpen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am aware of the Consumers Institute of course, and intend to advise
>them of this matter also, but have not been able to find any NZ sites
>that enable people to directly submit reports of their experiences for
>online publication.


There is one for computer gear, which i've followed links to a few times, but
never bookmarked so I couldn't tell you what it's address is.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:34:03 +1300, Chris Marr wrote:

> The pain of poor quality remains long after the pleasure of low price has
> been forgotten.
>
> I read that on a poster somewhere.


The pain of paying top dollar AND having poor service or quality remains
even longer. And that is far too common also.

No, what you do is buy the cheapest you can find, from a business that
backs it up properly.

I speak from experience: I bought a Sony monitor some years ago, top of the
line and around TWICE the price of other, reputable brands.

I went through 3 of them before they sent me one that ACTUALLY worked as
advertised. Dealing with Sony was like pulling teeth; in the end I got
someone who actually DID do something, after weeks worth of the run-around.

On the other hand, bought a stereo from warehouse. Cheap arsed one. Played
up. Took it back, they verified it was playing up, gave me a new one on the
spot. Worked well since. And this is what happens every time, so far for
years.

Purchased RAM from SuperCheapComputer's ltd. The ram was about the cheapest
in NZ at the time, but it was faulty. Super Cheap would not answer emails,
phone calls or anything. As is their reputation - EXTREMELY BAD. Illegal.

Moral of this story ? IT HAS *NOTHING* WHAT SO ****ING EVER TO DO WITH
PRICE.

It has EVERYTHING to do with customer service. And no amount of money you
pay will gaurantee that from any business; *ONLY* research will. Some of
the worst service comes with the highest price tags. Some of the best comes
with the lowest price.

--

.... Brendan

#434593 +(5044)- [X]

*** Topic in #doghouse is 'Our hearts are extended to the 17 victims of the
recent internet fraud'
* Anubis has joined #doghouse
<Anubis> what fraud?
<Kadmium> You haven't heard about it?
<Anubis> no?
<Kadmium> You can read the full story at http://www.tubgirl.com
<Anubis> omg wtf!
*** Kadmium changes topic to 'Our hearts are extended to the 18 victims of
the recent internet fraud'


Note: All my comments are copyright 26/11/2005 12:07:45 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
Brendan wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:34:03 +1300, Chris Marr wrote:
>
>
>>The pain of poor quality remains long after the pleasure of low price has
>>been forgotten.
>>
>>I read that on a poster somewhere.

>
>
> The pain of paying top dollar AND having poor service or quality remains
> even longer. And that is far too common also.
>
> No, what you do is buy the cheapest you can find, from a business that
> backs it up properly.
>
> I speak from experience: I bought a Sony monitor some years ago, top of the
> line and around TWICE the price of other, reputable brands.
>
> I went through 3 of them before they sent me one that ACTUALLY worked as
> advertised. Dealing with Sony was like pulling teeth; in the end I got
> someone who actually DID do something, after weeks worth of the run-around.
>
> On the other hand, bought a stereo from warehouse. Cheap arsed one. Played
> up. Took it back, they verified it was playing up, gave me a new one on the
> spot. Worked well since. And this is what happens every time, so far for
> years.
>
> Purchased RAM from SuperCheapComputer's ltd. The ram was about the cheapest
> in NZ at the time, but it was faulty. Super Cheap would not answer emails,
> phone calls or anything. As is their reputation - EXTREMELY BAD. Illegal.
>
> Moral of this story ? IT HAS *NOTHING* WHAT SO ****ING EVER TO DO WITH
> PRICE.
>
> It has EVERYTHING to do with customer service. And no amount of money you
> pay will gaurantee that from any business; *ONLY* research will. Some of
> the worst service comes with the highest price tags. Some of the best comes
> with the lowest price.
>


Funny that, I bought a high end Sony monitor a few years back it was
double the price of the ktx I got 2 years latter to replace it because
it kept packing up....in my younger days I bought Sony kit and now wont
go near it.....expensive, fails and costs an arm and a leg to fix....and
the fixes dont seem to last....The last TV I got was Panasonic, I did
get 8 years out of it but 2 repairs...I know look for 2 or 3 warrantees
on "lesser" brands like Sanyo, and even DSE's kit, way cheaper and lasts
as long if not Longer...(My parents Sanyo is the same age as my
Panasonic yet it is still going fine....)

regards

Thing






 
Reply With Quote
 
nil_einne1@email.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
Interesting. Why don't you right up a full report of the incident here
for us? To be frank, your current report is a bit lacking on details as
you haven't really told us what the fault was with the camera, if you
have any idea how it developed and if they've given a reason they claim
it's your fault. Without the details or a victory in the disputes
tribunal, we (or I at least) won't be able to give your complaint due
weight. I mean if the LCD on your camera developed a crack and you're
saying it's not your fault, well I think most of us would side with
Parallel Imported Ltd. This may seem like a silly example but in fact I
saw a case a few months ago on FairGo where this kid was claiming his
Ipod LCD screen mysteriously developed a crack overnight and he didn't
drop it or anything. I find the story incredibly hard to believe and
really side with the Ipod distro in that case.

BTW, to be fair after sales support issues can arise with non parallel
imported products. The primary difference is that you do not have the
NZ official distro to fall back on. But of course, the NZ official
distro may not be as reliable. This is perhaps not true for cameras but
for computer components for sure.

Of course, parallel imported products tend to be from cheapish
retailers so they may have more problems from the more expensive
retailers who tend not to have parallel imported stuff. For example,
SuperCheapPCs has a number of non parallel imported products. I'm not
sure if they have any parallel imported products, but if they do, I
suspect it won't make any difference in terms of SuperCheap support
(except it may take longer if it's parallel imported). You'll still get
the same (probably crappy) service. Of course, as I've said, the
difference is you can fall back on the NZ distro in accordance with the
CGA if it's imported by the distro (i.e. not parallel imported). But if
the official distro is just as crap, you won't be any better off. In
fact if given a choice between a non parallel imported item from
SuperCheap and a parallel imported one from Ascent, I think most of us
will go with Ascent.

P.S. I don't think Ascent has parallel imported stuff but it's a good
point nevertheless IMHO

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-26-2005
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:31:00 +1300, thingy wrote:

> Funny that, I bought a high end Sony monitor a few years back it was
> double the price of the ktx I got 2 years latter to replace it because
> it kept packing up....in my younger days I bought Sony kit and now wont
> go near it.....expensive, fails and costs an arm and a leg to fix....and
> the fixes dont seem to last....The last TV I got was Panasonic, I did
> get 8 years out of it but 2 repairs...I know look for 2 or 3 warrantees
> on "lesser" brands like Sanyo, and even DSE's kit, way cheaper and lasts
> as long if not Longer...(My parents Sanyo is the same age as my
> Panasonic yet it is still going fine....)


Exactly. Paying big money is no guarantee of anything, infact it's often
the first sign you are a sucker.

Number of times a friends cheap arsed $80 dvd player from Countdown played
disks the $1000 one would not is educational.

--

.... Brendan

#207373 +(8140)- [X]

<anamexis> oh man
<anamexis> I was opening a coke, right
--> Beefpile (~(E-Mail Removed)) has joined #themacmind
<anamexis> and it exploded
<anamexis> ALMOST all over my keyboard
<anamexis> but I got it away just in time
<-- Beefpile has quit (sick ****ers)
<anamexis> :<


Note: All my comments are copyright 27/11/2005 1:45:23 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
501 PIX "deny any any" "allow any any" Any Anybody? Networking Student Cisco 4 11-16-2006 10:40 PM
Any complaints about langear.co.nz ? Hmmm NZ Computing 8 12-19-2004 03:57 AM
Are there any consumer products using the Foveon 5m sensor? John Doe Digital Photography 39 12-11-2003 02:42 PM
Any XPath Evaluator out there based on SAX??? Hyden Zeng XML 0 12-08-2003 08:21 AM



Advertisments