Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > for xtra customers - passport email virus!!

for xtra customers - passport email virus!!

geopelia

The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully changed"
has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX

I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus program
pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and the message was
blocked.

If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)

If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.

(I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial about
it)

Dave Doe

In article <lxphf.3467$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully changed"
> has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
>
> I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus program
> pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and the message was
> blocked.
>
> If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
>
> If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
>
> (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial about
> it)

Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...

http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co...me/email_.html

--
Duncan

Pooh Bare

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <lxphf.3467$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully changed"
>> has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
>>
>> I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
>> program
>> pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and the message
>> was
>> blocked.
>>
>> If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
>>
>> If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
>>
>> (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
>> about
>> it)

> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
>
> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co...me/email_.html
>
> --
> Duncan

The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
through but it's safer than no virus protection.

Pooh

Squirrel

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
>> In article <lxphf.3467$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>>> The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully changed"
>>> has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
>>>
>>> I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
>>> program
>>> pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and the message
>>> was
>>> blocked.
>>>
>>> If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
>>>
>>> If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
>>>
>>> (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
>>> about
>>> it)

>> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
>>
>> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co...me/email_.html
>>
>> --
>> Duncan

>The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
>from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
>through but it's safer than no virus protection.
>
>Pooh

I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
curious.

I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
address, what am I missing?

Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

Alastair.geek.nz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Squirrel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
> >from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
> >through but it's safer than no virus protection.

> I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
> curious.
>
> I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
> number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
> mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
> address, what am I missing?

I have received a large quantity of email from the CIA in the last
couple of days. It appears that they have discovered that I have been
visiting illegal web sites and they are going to send their black
helicopters after me. Of course, if I install a virus on my computer,
then everything will be okay...

--
Regards, Alastair.
Wellington, New Zealand

Any opinions expressed in this posting are my own, and do not
necessarily reflect the views of any other individual or organisation.

geopelia

"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
> >> In article <lxphf.3467$(E-Mail Removed)>,

(E-Mail Removed)
> >> says...

changed"

message

> >> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
> >>
> >> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co...me/email_.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Duncan

> >The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening.

Apart
> >from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
> >through but it's safer than no virus protection.
> >
> >Pooh
> >

> I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
> curious.
>
> I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
> number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
> mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
> address, what am I missing?
>

> Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

I think the scam is, you have to send money for "expenses" to have your
winnings sent to you. Of course you never hear from them again!
These Africans that want to give you millions in a business relationship are
the same. I have a good laugh at their astonishing English, and delete them.

They have got your details once you reply, so ignore them.

I expect you know all this, just posted it for kids who might not know.

Tilly

geopelia wrote:
> The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully
> changed" has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
>
> I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
> program pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and
> the message was blocked.
>
> If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
>
> If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
>
> (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
> about it)

Geo I strongl;y suggest you do the following:

Go to Tools/options/security and put a tick next to:

Do nt allow any attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be
a virus.

geopelia

"Tilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YoDhf.3594$(E-Mail Removed)...
> geopelia wrote:
> > The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully
> > changed" has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
> >
> > I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
> > program pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and
> > the message was blocked.
> >
> > If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
> >
> > If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
> >
> > (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
> > about it)

> Geo I strongl;y suggest you do the following:
>
> Go to Tools/options/security and put a tick next to:
>
> Do nt allow any attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially

be
> a virus.

Thank you, I've done that. I wouldn't save or open attachments anyway unless
I knew the person sending them.
If I get an attachment from my family I can always untick it.

I once put something on to stop extreme porn, violence etc. (It comes with
the computer, but I forget what it is called).To my amazement it blocked a
harmless picture of a baby dove in its nest!
So I took it off again.

Geopelia

Pooh Bare

"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) t.nz...
>>> In article <lxphf.3467$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>> says...

>>> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
>>>
>>> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co...me/email_.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Duncan

>>The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
>>from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
>>through but it's safer than no virus protection.
>>
>>Pooh
>>

> I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
> curious.
>
> I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
> number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
> mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
> address, what am I missing?
>

> Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

I haven't found out what the blank e-mails are about. When I get them I
delete them totaly from my computer.

Pooh

geopelia

"Pooh Bare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) t.nz...

(E-Mail Removed)

> >>The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening.

Apart
> >>from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
> >>through but it's safer than no virus protection.
> >>
> >>Pooh
> >>

> > I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
> > curious.
> >
> > I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
> > number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
> > mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
> > address, what am I missing?
> >

> > Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

> I haven't found out what the blank e-mails are about. When I get them I
> delete them totaly from my computer.
>
> Pooh

I get a lot of those blank emails too. It's like these mystery phone calls,
where they hang up as soon as I pick up the phone. I can hear the click. I
suppose someone has dialled the wrong number and isn't polite enough to
apologise.

Geopelia