Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > internet problems with international traffic?

internet problems with international traffic?

nospam

Is anyone else having problems with international internet traffic this
morning?

I'm TelstraClear/Paradise cable broadband user, and I only seem to be able
to sites like trademe and stuff.co.nz etc. I cant get to international sites
(slashdot.org, cnn.com etc).

shannon

nospam wrote:
> Is anyone else having problems with international internet traffic this
> morning?
>
> I'm TelstraClear/Paradise cable broadband user, and I only seem to be able
> to sites like trademe and stuff.co.nz etc. I cant get to international sites
> (slashdot.org, cnn.com etc).

No probs on cable for me at the moment, but there were outages yesterday
and I had to reboot/reset router etc to get going last night

nospam

"shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43860a83$(E-Mail Removed)...
> nospam wrote:
>> Is anyone else having problems with international internet traffic this
>> morning?
>>
>> I'm TelstraClear/Paradise cable broadband user, and I only seem to be
>> able to sites like trademe and stuff.co.nz etc. I cant get to
>> international sites (slashdot.org, cnn.com etc).

> No probs on cable for me at the moment, but there were outages yesterday
> and I had to reboot/reset router etc to get going last night

Bugger. I wonder whats going on then!? Its odd that I can still get to some
sites.

nospam

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43860d73$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43860a83$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> nospam wrote:
>>> Is anyone else having problems with international internet traffic this
>>> morning?
>>>
>>> I'm TelstraClear/Paradise cable broadband user, and I only seem to be
>>> able to sites like trademe and stuff.co.nz etc. I cant get to
>>> international sites (slashdot.org, cnn.com etc).

>> No probs on cable for me at the moment, but there were outages yesterday
>> and I had to reboot/reset router etc to get going last night

> Bugger. I wonder whats going on then!? Its odd that I can still get to
> some sites.

I just rang the Paradise support number. A recording told me that most
customers are experiencing a loss of nation and international traffic, and a
fix is expected by 9:00am.

~misfit~

nospam wrote:
> "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43860d73$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:43860a83$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> No probs on cable for me at the moment, but there were outages
>>> yesterday and I had to reboot/reset router etc to get going last
>>> night

>> Bugger. I wonder whats going on then!? Its odd that I can still get
>> to some sites.

> I just rang the Paradise support number. A recording told me that most
> customers are experiencing a loss of nation and international
> traffic, and a fix is expected by 9:00am.

Had a problem with Orcon ADSL yesterday, connected, could get to some sites
but couldn't check email, newsgroups etc. Rang the helldesk and got a
message saying they were too busy to take my call and to ring back later.
(Service? Doesn't sound like it to me). Anyway, it came right before I could
get through.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Bevin Smeith wrote:
> I Did knotice for the past few days orcon has been a bit slow both
> national and international I checked out the Bitstream Status page and
> it looks like the 3 DSL pipes are getting full again. Grrrr
> They will be needing a new DSL Pipe to telecom ASAP but telecom been
> slow it may take some time

All the more reason Orcon should have a fourth ATM (I think they're called)
already up, provisioned, and running. We've had excuses before, they should
have learnt from that and hopefully will be about ready to switch the fourth
one on as we speak.

LOL, belay that, I just looked at the page, (took a bit of finding):

http://www.orcon.net.nz/index.html/h...tus/bitstream/

It seems a new ATM was/is due to come on-line anytime about now. Who
would've thunk it? Hopefully the current slow-downs will stop happening
soon.
--
~misfit~

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> nospam wrote:
>>
>>> "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:43860d73$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I just rang the Paradise support number. A recording told me that
>>> most customers are experiencing a loss of nation and international
>>> traffic, and a fix is expected by 9:00am.

>> Had a problem with Orcon ADSL yesterday, connected, could get to
>> some sites but couldn't check email, newsgroups etc. Rang the
>> helldesk and got a message saying they were too busy to take my call
>> and to ring back later. (Service? Doesn't sound like it to me).
>> Anyway, it came right before I could get through.

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> Bevin Smeith wrote:
>
>>I Did knotice for the past few days orcon has been a bit slow both
>>national and international I checked out the Bitstream Status page and
>>it looks like the 3 DSL pipes are getting full again. Grrrr
>>They will be needing a new DSL Pipe to telecom ASAP but telecom been
>>slow it may take some time

> All the more reason Orcon should have a fourth ATM (I think they're called)
> already up, provisioned, and running. We've had excuses before, they should
> have learnt from that and hopefully will be about ready to switch the fourth
> one on as we speak.
>
> LOL, belay that, I just looked at the page, (took a bit of finding):
>
> http://www.orcon.net.nz/index.html/h...tus/bitstream/
>
> It seems a new ATM was/is due to come on-line anytime about now. Who
> would've thunk it? Hopefully the current slow-downs will stop happening
> soon.

Early next week. Full credit to Orcon.

If that is the case, it seems like Orcon (in conjunction with Telecom)
are getting better at this - I've only noticed occassional slowdowns and
timeouts over the past couple of weeks, previously the service would
deteriorate for much longer before coming back up.

Richard

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Early next week. Full credit to Orcon.
>
> If that is the case, it seems like Orcon (in conjunction with Telecom)
> are getting better at this - I've only noticed occassional slowdowns and
> timeouts over the past couple of weeks, previously the service would
> deteriorate for much longer before coming back up.

For the last 2 weeks or so I have seen my torrents drop to under 2k/sec for a
majority of the day, - I am getting 9 at the moment across 3 well seeded ones.

Yet, if I open up a 192k audiostream, it plays fine.

This traffic shaping is bullshit.

-=rjh=-

Richard wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> Early next week. Full credit to Orcon.
>>
>> If that is the case, it seems like Orcon (in conjunction with Telecom)
>> are getting better at this - I've only noticed occassional slowdowns
>> and timeouts over the past couple of weeks, previously the service
>> would deteriorate for much longer before coming back up.

> For the last 2 weeks or so I have seen my torrents drop to under 2k/sec
> for a majority of the day, - I am getting 9 at the moment across 3 well
> seeded ones.

I have one torrent downloading at the moment (elive-0.3.iso) and I'm
getting 25Kb/s download, which is what I have Azureus limited to. I have
never seen the problem that you describe - I'm not doubting what you say
- but I have never had any problem with slow torrents that I can recall.
I'm not using the default torrent ports, and I do have my firewall set
up correctly. I'm with Orcon, in Wellington.

Uploads are also running at the limit I've set, 10Kb/s.

> Yet, if I open up a 192k audiostream, it plays fine.

Well, hey - you can't have everything. Apparently

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> -=rjh=- wrote:
>>
>>> Early next week. Full credit to Orcon.
>>>
>>> If that is the case, it seems like Orcon (in conjunction with
>>> Telecom) are getting better at this - I've only noticed occassional
>>> slowdowns and timeouts over the past couple of weeks, previously
>>> the service would deteriorate for much longer before coming back up.

>> For the last 2 weeks or so I have seen my torrents drop to under
>> 2k/sec for a majority of the day, - I am getting 9 at the moment
>> across 3 well seeded ones.

> I have one torrent downloading at the moment (elive-0.3.iso) and I'm
> getting 25Kb/s download, which is what I have Azureus limited to. I
> have never seen the problem that you describe - I'm not doubting what
> you say - but I have never had any problem with slow torrents that I
> can recall. I'm not using the default torrent ports, and I do have my
> firewall set up correctly. I'm with Orcon, in Wellington.
>
> Uploads are also running at the limit I've set, 10Kb/s.
>

>> Yet, if I open up a 192k audiostream, it plays fine.

> Well, hey - you can't have everything. Apparently
>>
>> This traffic shaping is bullshit.

I have to agree with Richard. My torrents have been abysmally slow of late
(Orcon 2M). Currently 8k/sec but will do around 60k/sec at 3am. Compared to
the rate I can download from HTTP/FTP sites that's really crap.
--
~misfit~