Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sony's day just gets worse and worse

Sony's day just gets worse and worse

shannon

~misfit~ wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Mine doesn't have a date on it either, I just remember getting it
>>> the week it was released, in '98. (Actually, there's a small chance
>>> it's a later 'pressing', not sure if I gave away my original to this
>>> rather nice young lady I once knew.....) Mine is manufactured by
>>> EMI Swindon, Australia. Just on orange CD with some very small
>>> writing around the edge about copyright etc. Around the clear bit in
>>> the middle it says "Cira records ltd. Made in Australia" and there
>>> is a bloody small Virgin records logo, a copyright symbol, a compact
>>> disc symbol (like you see on the front of players/drives, the words
>>> 'Compact Disc' one above the other) and a fourth logo that I can't
>>> make out. Could be a copy protection logo? (Did I say this stuff is
>>> really tiny? For a long time I thought it was just a plain orange
>>> disc). If you look at the data area it's plain to see that the first 5%
>>> or
>>> so of it looks quite different to the rest of the surface. It's like
>>> a very long lead-in, something I've not seen on a pressed CD before.
>>> From what I can tell, from trying to read it various ways, it's a
>>> bunch of errors that a stand-alone CD player would just ignore.
>>> Exact Audio Copy spent ages trying to read it, saying at one stage
>>> it was going to take over a day to rip it, before finally giving up
>>> at about 3% done. Copying it using CloneCD (on the fly, 4 X, two
>>> drives) as an audio CD gave a coaster after a couple minutes. I'm
>>> pretty sure it's copy protection, it sounds great on the stereo,
>>> played through a Panasonic DVD/CD player and a seperate amp and Jamo
>>> speakers / Jamo passive sub. I don't think it's a dud pressing.

>> My copy of Mezzanine ripped just fine with CDex and lame to 256k mp3.
>> The outside 5% does look different, but I think it is just unwritten.
>> Are you aware that CDs read from the centre outwards ?

> Yes. And the 'lead-in' I was refering to is on the inside of the CD. The
> outside looks different too, where the disk isn't written to.
>
>> Thats why misreads are usually on the later tracks.
>> The only CD I recall ripping with copy protection was Diamonds on the
>> Inside by Ben Harper.
>> You just insert it with the shift key depressed

> OK, thanks for your input. Your copy of Mezzanine doesn't have this
> different looking area in the centre part / beginning of the data area?
>
> Cheers,

Just the bit with the number and "EMI Swindon"

-=rjh=-

shannon wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> shannon wrote:

>>> My copy of Mezzanine ripped just fine with CDex and lame to 256k mp3.
>>> The outside 5% does look different, but I think it is just unwritten.
>>> Are you aware that CDs read from the centre outwards ?

>> Yes. And the 'lead-in' I was refering to is on the inside of the CD.
>> The outside looks different too, where the disk isn't written to.
>>
>>> Thats why misreads are usually on the later tracks.
>>> The only CD I recall ripping with copy protection was Diamonds on the
>>> Inside by Ben Harper.
>>> You just insert it with the shift key depressed

>> OK, thanks for your input. Your copy of Mezzanine doesn't have this
>> different looking area in the centre part / beginning of the data area?
>>
>> Cheers,

> Just the bit with the number and "EMI Swindon"

What's with that? My copy (1998, doesn't have "copy protection") says
Made in Australia on the cover, yet has EMI Swindon on the CDROM. So
where is it made?

shannon

-=rjh=- wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Yes. And the 'lead-in' I was refering to is on the inside of the CD.
>>> The outside looks different too, where the disk isn't written to.

>>> OK, thanks for your input. Your copy of Mezzanine doesn't have this
>>> different looking area in the centre part / beginning of the data area?
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> Just the bit with the number and "EMI Swindon"

> What's with that? My copy (1998, doesn't have "copy protection") says
> Made in Australia on the cover, yet has EMI Swindon on the CDROM. So
> where is it made?

Probably where the master was made

~misfit~

shannon wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> OK, thanks for your input. Your copy of Mezzanine doesn't have this
>> different looking area in the centre part / beginning of the data
>> area? Cheers,

> Just the bit with the number and "EMI Swindon"

Ok. Mine has an area on the data part that looks a bit different to the
rest, it looks like the lead-out, the blank area around the edge of the CD
where there isn't anything written. It's quite noticable, like a CD-R with
only 50MB written on it.
--
~misfit~

David

shannon wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> I play my CDs all over the place, in the car, in the DVD/CD player in
>>> the
>>> bedroom but mainly in the PC hooked up to the stereo in the living room.
>>> If I don't make a copy an put the original away it risks damage,
>>> especially in the car, it gets hot in there.

>> My daughter's "Good Charlotte" CD died yesterday....too scratched.
>> But it was a good thing we had ripped all the songs off it a couple of
>> months ago - using 'grip', on Linux.
>> They play as well as they ever did.
>>

> The mp3 files would have been exactly the same if you had ripped it on
> Windows, but good on you for squeezing linux in where its completely
> irrelevant

If not worse, is there anything as good as EAC on linux?

shannon

David wrote:
> shannon wrote:
>> steve wrote:

>>> My daughter's "Good Charlotte" CD died yesterday....too scratched.
>>> But it was a good thing we had ripped all the songs off it a couple of
>>> months ago - using 'grip', on Linux.
>>> They play as well as they ever did.
>>>

>> The mp3 files would have been exactly the same if you had ripped it on
>> Windows, but good on you for squeezing linux in where its completely
>> irrelevant

> If not worse, is there anything as good as EAC on linux?

At question time they call this the patsy question.

Yes, cdparanoia is every bit as good.
I think EAC was Windows catching up.

grip is excellent too, it uses cdparanoia and has an automatic ripping
mode where it will just keep ripping whatever you put in the drive and
ejecting, ideal if you just want to feed the beast.

abcde is a console frontend that uses cdparanoia and lame flac ogg whatever.

The cool thing about the modular nature of these tools in linux is the
ease with which you can rip and encode simultaneously to multiple
formats, (and the other cool thing is their immunity to Sony DRM rootkits )

David

shannon wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> shannon wrote:

>>> The mp3 files would have been exactly the same if you had ripped it
>>> on Windows, but good on you for squeezing linux in where its
>>> completely irrelevant

>> If not worse, is there anything as good as EAC on linux?

> At question time they call this the patsy question.
>
> Yes, cdparanoia is every bit as good.
> I think EAC was Windows catching up.
>
> grip is excellent too, it uses cdparanoia and has an automatic ripping
> mode where it will just keep ripping whatever you put in the drive and
> ejecting, ideal if you just want to feed the beast.
>
> abcde is a console frontend that uses cdparanoia and lame flac ogg
> whatever.
>
> The cool thing about the modular nature of these tools in linux is the
> ease with which you can rip and encode simultaneously to multiple
> formats, (and the other cool thing is their immunity to Sony DRM rootkits )

That ability is one of the things I love about foobar2000, I rip to FLAC
then, as i have my whole media library in foobar, when i want to chuck
something on the ipod or send it to someone I just use foo_diskwriter, a
very powerful plugin

Murray Symon

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:36:22 +1300, shannon wrote:

> David wrote:
>> shannon wrote:

>>> The mp3 files would have been exactly the same if you had ripped it on
>>> Windows, but good on you for squeezing linux in where its completely
>>> irrelevant

>> If not worse, is there anything as good as EAC on linux?

> At question time they call this the patsy question.
>
> Yes, cdparanoia is every bit as good. I think EAC was Windows catching up.

Yes, I would vouch for cdparanoia, too (having been a user of EAC on
Windows previously). It is generally behind any recommended "frontend".

--
Murray