Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > carriers and content

carriers and content

thing2

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8673

Reading this I can begin to see (I believe) why we are seeing changes to
terms and conditions for Clear/Paradise etc. The carriers are wanting to
become content providers in a walled garden. No longer satisfied with
providing a utility, they want to dump the freeloaders (people who use
only their base service) for those users who they can make extras on.
Extras that cost them little but have high or very high margins.

So when we see lines in contracts like, "if you complain to/about us or
or partners spamming you, we can simply disconnect you". It is just
that, a "freeloader" is in their walled garden and if that "freeloader"
objects and wants freedom, they get kicked offline....no ifs no buts no
legal re-dress.....

So instaed of entering a golden age of the Internet, in fact we could
well be seeing the beginning of the end of it.

Like TV, mine failed a month ago, I dont miss it.....

So the Q is what do we do?

1) Lobby the Govn? Govn generally seem to dislike the freedom the
Internet gives its citizens, on balance I expect absolutley nothing.

2) Give up and find something else to do? seems probable.

3) Abandon broadband and go back to limited hours dial up because that
is all the walled garden will be worth?

4) BBS again?

5) Community wi-fi? quite possible, citylink seem to think as a utility,
so I for one just need to get to a peering level...not that it gets me
that much further i still need an ISP to get out. Whether that attitude
will remain if and when they get bought out remains to be seen....

6) ?

regards

thing

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y
says...
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8673
>
> Reading this I can begin to see (I believe) why we are seeing changes to
> terms and conditions for Clear/Paradise etc. The carriers are wanting to
> become content providers in a walled garden. No longer satisfied with
> providing a utility, they want to dump the freeloaders (people who use
> only their base service) for those users who they can make extras on.
> Extras that cost them little but have high or very high margins.

It's a free market - and you have a choice.

If you don't like Telstra - pay $$$ more to a niche provider who will
give you the service you want.

Are you some sort of moron, everyone wants cheaper prices and prices
keep dropping. Once upon a time I paid around $40 for my flat rate
dialup, it is now $15. The whingers and malcontents whined loud and long
on here about Orcon's service, but at the end of the day they were all
mean spirited tightfists expecting something for nothing.

How do you expect the ISPs to keep providing service with their income
shrinking? By cutting costs, of course.

steve

thing2 wrote:

> So the Q is what do we do?
>
> 1) Lobby the Govn? Govn generally seem to dislike the freedom the
> Internet gives its citizens, on balance I expect absolutley nothing.

You could vote Green....as the Greens are the most committed party where
freedom and democracy are concerned.

The other parties talk about it. The Greens actually DO it.

Note how the OTHERS laugh and ridicule the Greens for being so determinedly
democratic and inclusive.

> 2) Give up and find something else to do? seems probable.

Always worth having a backup option.

Or how about an open-source network? Composed of links supplied by freely
associating citizens?

Connect your property / dwelling from one boundary to the other - and
encourage your neighbour to do the same. Richard Naylor is a champion of
the "Just DO it!" school of citizen networking.

Rob J

says...
> thing2 wrote:
>
> > So the Q is what do we do?
> >
> > 1) Lobby the Govn? Govn generally seem to dislike the freedom the
> > Internet gives its citizens, on balance I expect absolutley nothing.

> You could vote Green....as the Greens are the most committed party where
> freedom and democracy are concerned.
>
> The other parties talk about it. The Greens actually DO it.

They don't do anything. They only have 5% of the vote. Just pretend
they're not there, just like the Alliance, no probs.

> Note how the OTHERS laugh and ridicule the Greens for being so determinedly
> democratic and inclusive.

Nah. Blink and you'd miss them> All the ideology means bugger all when
they can't achieve anything.

steve

Rob J wrote:

> It's a free market - and you have a choice.
>
> If you don't like Telstra - pay $$$ more to a niche provider who will
> give you the service you want.

There's Rob J - going in to bat for the monopoly, multi-billion dollar,
customer-raping "underdog".

Yet again.

You should read the article posted......

steve

Rob J wrote:

> Nah. Blink and you'd miss them> All the ideology means bugger all when
> they can't achieve anything.

Now if ever there was someone worth ignoring.....You'd be him.

shannon

Rob J wrote:
> says...
>> thing2 wrote:
>>
>>> So the Q is what do we do?
>>>
>>> 1) Lobby the Govn? Govn generally seem to dislike the freedom the
>>> Internet gives its citizens, on balance I expect absolutley nothing.

>> You could vote Green....as the Greens are the most committed party where
>> freedom and democracy are concerned.
>>
>> The other parties talk about it. The Greens actually DO it.

> They don't do anything. They only have 5% of the vote. Just pretend
> they're not there, just like the Alliance, no probs.
>
>> Note how the OTHERS laugh and ridicule the Greens for being so determinedly
>> democratic and inclusive.

> Nah. Blink and you'd miss them> All the ideology means bugger all when
> they can't achieve anything.

They achieved MMP before they even got elected, and even Gerry Brownlee
sorts his recycling now.

-=rjh=-

thing2 wrote:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8673
>
> Reading this I can begin to see (I believe) why we are seeing changes to
> terms and conditions for Clear/Paradise etc. The carriers are wanting to
> become content providers in a walled garden.

I think they've always wanted to do that - they've deliberately tried to
keep the 'net asymetrical. Berners-Lee had always envisioned that the
web in particular would be symetrical, and was disappointed that only
one web browser ever made it as easy to publish as to read.

Things have been changing very fast recently, with the rise of online
publishing made easier for many people.

Buried well down Doc Searls' article is the link to an old article that
is still very relevant:

http://www.eff.org/Misc/Publications...rom_above.html

which goes some way to explaining why 128kbs upstream ADSL might not
just be a technical issue (if indeed it ever was) but is an ideological
issue for all concerned. And one that the CC totally fails to appreciate.

Imagine if the entire internet was like Vodafone Live! That's where the
carriers would like this to be headed. I feel sick just thinking about it.

-=rjh=-

Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)y
> says...
>
>>http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8673
>>
>>Reading this I can begin to see (I believe) why we are seeing changes to
>>terms and conditions for Clear/Paradise etc. The carriers are wanting to
>>become content providers in a walled garden. No longer satisfied with
>>providing a utility, they want to dump the freeloaders (people who use
>>only their base service) for those users who they can make extras on.
>>Extras that cost them little but have high or very high margins.

> It's a free market - and you have a choice.

Yeah, right. In NZ, if you want ADSL, it is Telecom all the way.

> If you don't like Telstra - pay $$$ more to a niche provider who will
> give you the service you want.
>
> Are you some sort of moron, everyone wants cheaper prices and prices
> keep dropping. Once upon a time I paid around $40 for my flat rate
> dialup, it is now $15. The whingers and malcontents whined loud and long
> on here about Orcon's service, but at the end of the day they were all
> mean spirited tightfists expecting something for nothing.

There were serious issues with the suddenly degraded service provided to
Orcon by Telecom; I don't think any of the discussion here mentioned
price at all, only the service. Orcon doesn't differentiate itself on price.

> How do you expect the ISPs to keep providing service with their income
> shrinking? By cutting costs, of course.

Maybe you should read the article? The discussion is about carriers, not
ISPs.

Rob J

says...
> Rob J wrote:
>
> > It's a free market - and you have a choice.
> >
> > If you don't like Telstra - pay $$$ more to a niche provider who will
> > give you the service you want.
> >

> There's Rob J - going in to bat for the monopoly, multi-billion dollar,
> customer-raping "underdog".
>
> Yet again.
>
> You should read the article posted......

I read what you said. Just a thread hijack for your favourite political
party, who don't do much other than sit on their asses in Parliament and
prattle on about their high minded principles and stuff.

Everyone including you, because you're an Orcon customer, go for the
cheapest deal they can get, and you think there's no connection between
price and standard of service? LOL.