Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Make CD/DVD from .wmv file

Make CD/DVD from .wmv file

Ray Greene

Can anyone tell me how to make a CD or DVD from a .wmv file, that will play
on a regular DVD player?

I have Nero which has a Video CD option, but I don't have a DVD player to
test with (I'm doing this for a friend). Is that what I need to use?

There are 4 .wmv files around 30MB each. I can put them on individual disks
or a single disk.

Ray Greene.

David

Ray Greene wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to make a CD or DVD from a .wmv file, that will play
> on a regular DVD player?
>
> I have Nero which has a Video CD option, but I don't have a DVD player to
> test with (I'm doing this for a friend). Is that what I need to use?
>
> There are 4 .wmv files around 30MB each. I can put them on individual disks
> or a single disk.
>
> Ray Greene.

Yep, however if you make a VCD it must be burnt to a CD ( not a DVD ).
Nero's VCD encoder is fine, I think you have to pay extra for the MPEG2
encoder in order to make an SVCD or DVD. SVCD offers better quality over
VCD, but only if your wmvs are decent to start off with (and from that
file size, unless they are quite short, they probably aren't). I think
almost every DVD player plays VCD, for 100% compatiblity and best
results you would have to encode to MPEG2, with separate PCM (large) or
AC3 (encoders hard to come by) audio (some dvd players don't like MPEG
layer 2 audio on DVDs) and burn to DVD (If you manage to encode the
video and audio with some other encoder I think nero will do the
DVD-authoring and burning for you)
Personally I would use Sony's DVD Architect to burn a DVD or Nero 6 on
full auto to do a VCD.

Ray Greene

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:00:21 +1300, David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yep, however if you make a VCD it must be burnt to a CD ( not a DVD ).
>Nero's VCD encoder is fine, I think you have to pay extra for the MPEG2
>encoder in order to make an SVCD or DVD. SVCD offers better quality over
>VCD, but only if your wmvs are decent to start off with (and from that
>file size, unless they are quite short, they probably aren't). I think
>almost every DVD player plays VCD, for 100% compatiblity and best
>results you would have to encode to MPEG2, with separate PCM (large) or
>AC3 (encoders hard to come by) audio (some dvd players don't like MPEG
>layer 2 audio on DVDs) and burn to DVD (If you manage to encode the
>video and audio with some other encoder I think nero will do the
>DVD-authoring and burning for you)
>Personally I would use Sony's DVD Architect to burn a DVD or Nero 6 on
>full auto to do a VCD.

Thanks for the info David, I'll use Nero and make a VCD.

--
Ray Greene.