Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > more on that Sony rootkit

more on that Sony rootkit

Peter

"What happens when the creators of malware collude with the very companies
we hire to protect us from that malware?
We users lose, that's what happens. A dangerous and damaging rootkit gets
introduced into the wild, and half a million computers get infected before
anyone does anything.
Who are the security companies really working for? It's unlikely that this
Sony rootkit is the only example of a media company using this technology.
Which security company has engineers looking for the others who might be
doing it? And what will they do if they find one? What will they do the
next time some multinational company decides that owning your computers is
a good idea?"
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html

Gordon

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter wrote:

> Who are the security companies really working for?

For pete sake $$$$, nothing else. Where have you been?

thingy

Gordon wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter wrote:
>

>>Who are the security companies really working for?

> For pete sake $$$$, nothing else. Where have you been?

Yep, its the latest salesman snake oil, lots of fancy security products
to sell....at high margins....

regards

Thing

thingy

thingy wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter wrote:
>>

>>> Who are the security companies really working for?

>> For pete sake $$$$, nothing else. Where have you been?
>>

> Yep, its the latest salesman snake oil, lots of fancy security products
> to sell....at high margins....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I should add low outcomes.

eg

We took on a junior sys admin last year 50% of his job was security
under the security manager learning, he left within 6 months to get a
"plumb job" with a government organisation.....had'nt learnt much in
that time, now he "evaluates" security toys all day......gotta laugh.....

thats life I guess.

regards

Thing

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"What happens when the creators of malware collude with the very companies
>we hire to protect us from that malware?
>We users lose, that's what happens. A dangerous and damaging rootkit gets
>introduced into the wild, and half a million computers get infected before
>anyone does anything.
>Who are the security companies really working for? It's unlikely that this
>Sony rootkit is the only example of a media company using this technology.
>Which security company has engineers looking for the others who might be
>doing it? And what will they do if they find one? What will they do the
>next time some multinational company decides that owning your computers is
>a good idea?"
>http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html

Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

Cath

~misfit~

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:18:20 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> "What happens when the creators of malware collude with the very
>> companies we hire to protect us from that malware?
>> We users lose, that's what happens. A dangerous and damaging rootkit
>> gets introduced into the wild, and half a million computers get
>> infected before anyone does anything.
>> Who are the security companies really working for? It's unlikely
>> that this Sony rootkit is the only example of a media company using
>> this technology. Which security company has engineers looking for
>> the others who might be doing it? And what will they do if they find
>> one? What will they do the next time some multinational company
>> decides that owning your computers is a good idea?"
>> http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,69601,00.html
>>

> Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
> Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
>
> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
violations, and that any money would go to the state."

So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state. I'm all for Sony getting a
knee in the nuts over this but the "damages", if any, should go to the
people who bought the CDs in question. I don't see how the state can be
awarded damages in this case.

Oh, well, it is Texas, home of Dubya.
--
~misfit~

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[msge snipped]

>texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom. . wrote:
>> Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
>> Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
>>
>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

>"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
>in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
>violations, and that any money would go to the state."
>
>So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
What law/s does NZ have on the books?

> I'm all for Sony getting a knee in the nuts over this but the "damages", if any, should go to the
>people who bought the CDs in question.

I don't recall any single or Class Action lawsuit having been brought
[to date].

>I don't see how the state can be awarded damages in this case.
>
>Oh, well, it is Texas, home of Dubya.

LOL.

In California, the Electronic Frontier Foundation filed a suit with
similar allegations.

Now what ya say!
Oh, well it is California, home of [fill in the blank].

Cath

-=rjh=-

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [msge snipped]
>

>>texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom .. wrote:
>>
>>>Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
>>>Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
>>>
>>>http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

>>"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
>>in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
>>violations, and that any money would go to the state."
>>
>>So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

> Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
> before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
> Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
> What law/s does NZ have on the books?
>

>>I'm all for Sony getting a knee in the nuts over this but the "damages", if any, should go to the
>>people who bought the CDs in question.

> I don't recall any single or Class Action lawsuit having been brought
> [to date].
>

>>I don't see how the state can be awarded damages in this case.
>>
>>Oh, well, it is Texas, home of Dubya.

> LOL.
>
> In California, the Electronic Frontier Foundation filed a suit with
> similar allegations.
>
> Now what ya say!
> Oh, well it is California, home of [fill in the blank].

Um..the Governator?

Mutlley

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>[msge snipped]
>
>>texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom .. wrote:
>>> Nov. 21, 2005, 11:22AM
>>> Texas sues Sony over spyware on music CDs
>>>
>>> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3475285.html

>>"The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
>>in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
>>violations, and that any money would go to the state."
>>
>>So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

>Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
>before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
>Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
>What law/s does NZ have on the books?

Their lawyers to there to sue the pants off their customers who dare
download a track from a CD.

shannon

Mutlley wrote:
> texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:02:15 +1300, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> [msge snipped]

>>> "The Texas spyware law allows the state to recover damages of up to $100,000
>>> in damages for each violation. Abbott said there were thousands of
>>> violations, and that any money would go to the state."
>>>
>>> So it's a money grabbing exercise by the state.

>> Clearly, Sony *should* have looked at the laws within all States
>> before doing what it did. What do they have attorneys for?
>> Hey, the laws are there to deter *** like Sony doing what they did.
>> What law/s does NZ have on the books?

> Their lawyers to there to sue the pants off their customers who dare
> download a track from a CD.

But they haven't managed to find one yet because NZers are so scared
that they don't do such things.