Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open Office

Open Office

JC

What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?
For a free Office suite, I love it.

PAM.

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?
> For a free Office suite, I love it.

CompareOffice

Yikes!

PAM.

steve

JC wrote:

> What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?
> For a free Office suite, I love it.

It's great.

The presentation program could use some more backgrounds /
templates......but then you're free to make your own any time you want.

XP

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:34:11 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?
>For a free Office suite, I love it.

Some reviews states its a CPU hog and a Resource Hog..

EMB

XP wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:34:11 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?
>>For a free Office suite, I love it.

> Some reviews states its a CPU hog and a Resource Hog..

Should be right at home running on Windows XP then. :-p

--
EMB

steve

XP wrote:

> Some reviews states its a CPU hog and a Resource Hog..

You're referring to Windows XP, right?

Vista (or whatever the new name is for the OS that isn't there) is supposed
to be far worse.

Gordon

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:34:11 +1300, JC wrote:

> What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?

Better than version 1. Read it has improved and it is not standing still
either.

GraB

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:34:11 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?
>For a free Office suite, I love it.

I am still running 1.9.118. Seems great. Doesn't seem to be a
resource hog. Is it worth getting the latest version? Is that much
better than this version?

thingy

steve wrote:
> XP wrote:
>

>>Some reviews states its a CPU hog and a Resource Hog..

> You're referring to Windows XP, right?
>
> Vista (or whatever the new name is for the OS that isn't there) is supposed
> to be far worse.

Open Office it seems is slower in some cases and uses more resources in
some cases comapred to MS Office, however this didnt seem very
significant overall.

regards

Thing

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

JC wrote:
> What is the general opinion on Open Office version 2?
> For a free Office suite, I love it.

I've had a good play with the spreadsheet side of things, and despite
the way that works being a little different to excel I find it quite
useful now...

The presentation program and word processor do what they're expected
too, and the speed of startup compared to v1.x has improved at least
for me. You can use OpenOffice Quickstarter in KDE/linux to preload
some core parts of OO.o which speeds up loading even further...

I'm (99%) sold on it.

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.