Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Nortons message

Nortons message

Another Dave

I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.

At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not support
the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.

Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the Trojan
-- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?

Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
this.

Any advice gratefully received,

Shane

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:34:28 -0800, Another Dave wrote:

> I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
>
> At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not support
> the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
>
> Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the Trojan
> -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
>
> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
> this.
>
> Any advice gratefully received,

Nortons _may_ have had some of its files corrupted by the virus (fairly
common) so you have to reinstall nortons, assuming you have the disk

To remove that file you could boot to another windows (NT version) with
that drive mounted, and then delete that file.

As hpd.tmp doesnt come up in google at all, Id hazard a guess you have a
what I call a 'shield troj' running, these are a prick, you need to find
the virus that is actually causing the problem, as the files your AV are
reporting are only symptoms not the cause. IIRC the last one I came
across was reported as an issue at boot time, but wasnt discovered by my
AV

Gavin Tunney

On 17 Nov 2005 10:34:28 -0800, "Another Dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
>
>At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not support
>the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
>
>Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the Trojan
>-- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
>
>Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
>hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
>this.
>
>Any advice gratefully received,

1/ Start up in safe mode & then run Nortons and/or delete the file
manually. If it won't allow you to delete the file in safe mode then
it's probably replaced an XP system file with one of it's own & you
may need to look at running system restore or option 2

2/ Boot off the XP CD & run the command console. Delete the file the
old fashioned way. Restart in safe mode, run Nortons & repeat 1/.

Try system file checker (sfc.exe) in safe mode to check system files,
link to that....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

Personally I'd run system restore after removing the trojan's 'hooks',
you never know what's left in there & restoring back to a day before
the problem started should clean the system up.

You shouldn't be getting trojans on a patched box. Connect to the
'net through a router & run Windows update. Alternatively, if the box
is fully patched, look at your ActiveX security settings for Internet
Explorer.

GT

EMB

Another Dave wrote:
> I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.

There comes a point where it's probably less effort to just vape the
install and start again from scratch. That way you know that you'll be
malware free from the start.

--
EMB

Impossible

"Another Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
>
> At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not
> support
> the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
>
> Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the
> Trojan
> -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
>
> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or
> remove
> this.
>
> Any advice gratefully received,

Some malware requires a customized procedure to fully remove. Unless
you have Version 10 or later of Norton AV, it won't track this kind of
thing at all, and even then it typically takes some time to develop a
cleanup. As of now, there is nothing about "Spy Trooper" on their
site. But have a look here:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index...T&f=37&t=76880

This is a site with some very knowledgeable folks, and I think that if
you take the time to follow the procedure carefully there's a good
chance this might work for you. In light of some other suggestions in
this thread, I'd pay particular attention to the recommendation at
geskstogo that you NOT enable System Restore until your system is
completely clean again. Also, that you download and install the trial
AV programs suggested for now before trying to reinstall Norton.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
> this.
>
> Any advice gratefully received,

One method for deleting 'stubborn' files in XP:
open a command shell
open task manager and kill the explorer.exe process
manually delete the file in question from the command prompt
restart explorer from the command line.

This often works, but may not in your case if another process keeps that
file locked.

You can also download process explorer and file explorer from
sysinternals.com and see if you can find out who owns that tmp file -
that would be your virus {given that the thing really IS a virus}.

-P.

Mark Robinson

Another Dave wrote:
> I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
>
> At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not support
> the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
>
> Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the Trojan
> -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
>
> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or remove
> this.
>
> Any advice gratefully received,

You will need to download a specific removal tool as indicated in your other
thread on this same topic. Avoid tools from companies you have never heard of.

Impossible

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
> Another Dave wrote:
>> I am still struggling to remove all the Spy Trooper Trojans.
>>
>> At start-up a window pops up saying "Norton antivirus does not
>> support
>> the repair" and to uninstall and reinstall Nortons.
>>
>> Is this a genuine Nortons message or is it being caused by the
>> Trojan
>> -- which I am sure would love me to uninstall Nortons?
>>
>> Nortons tells me that the computer is infected by a file called
>> hpd764.tmp which is in windows\system32 and it cannot repair or
>> remove
>> this.
>>
>> Any advice gratefully received,
>>

> You will need to download a specific removal tool as indicated in
> your other thread on this same topic. Avoid tools from companies you
> have never heard of.

In general, I agree with you that it's best to rely on proven sources
for tools like this. Unfortunately, I think you'll find that you
misread the Google snippets you quoted in the other thread: neither
Symantec nor BitDefender currently have a removal tool for Spy
Trooper, and none are even promised at this point.

S Roby

Some viruses disable the AV program
some malware is incorrectly detected by AV programs

some options
remove the HD, set it up as 2nd HD in another PC & then scan it
try an online scanner (I recommend KAV)
download another av proggy & install & scan the HD

Make sure you note the name of the virus found as you may need to do some
manual virus removal (ie registry entries etc). Most AV sites will tell you
how to do this (The symantec site is very good)

TaurArian [MVP]

Did you by any chance re-arrange Norton's program shortcut entries in the Start Menu?

Message: "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature..."
Document ID:2004090712504306
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=bar_sch_nam
or
http://tinyurl.com/69w8l