Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Clear to do away with the old cable accounts by mar 2006?

Clear to do away with the old cable accounts by mar 2006?

thing2

Someone just said there will be no old accounts by March, and the new
ones dont differentiate nationa/international.

?

regards

Thing

Peter

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:51:06 +1300, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Someone just said there will be no old accounts by March, and the new
>ones dont differentiate nationa/international.
>
>?
>
>regards
>
>Thing

At which point I will tell them into which orifice they can stick
their 'service' and revert to Telecom and take up DSL (heaven forbid -
how am I going to explain to the family that we are changing our phone
number - again!).

By the way I have NOT put the TelstraClear sticker they sent me on to
my mail box.

Daniel

thing2 wrote:
> Someone just said there will be no old accounts by March, and the new
> ones dont differentiate nationa/international.
>
> ?
>
> regards
>
> Thing

A couple of guys I work with still have the old old 256KB / 10GB plan -
the plan that existed before the ones that have just been replaced.

When the newer 1G/5G/10G plans came in I remember hearing rumours that
those plans would eventually be phased out. But, they're still there.

Be interesting to see what happens.

XP

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:51:06 +1300, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Someone just said there will be no old accounts by March, and the new
>ones dont differentiate nationa/international.
>
>?
>
>regards
>
>Thing

And no 10 Gig dnloads with the $80 accounts.

I was informed by Telstra I can stay with my old account as I don't need
rocket speed..

Max

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:51:06 +1300, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Someone just said there will be no old accounts by March, and the new
> >ones dont differentiate nationa/international.
> >
> >?
> >
> >regards
> >
> >Thing
> >

> At which point I will tell them into which orifice they can stick
> their 'service' and revert to Telecom and take up DSL (heaven forbid -
> how am I going to explain to the family that we are changing our phone
> number - again!).
>
> By the way I have NOT put the TelstraClear sticker they sent me on to
> my mail box.

What is that sticker for? I have seen them on some letter boxes, and thought
that they maybe for some form of competition.

Peter

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:41:31 +1300, "Max" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What is that sticker for? I have seen them on some letter boxes, and thought
>that they maybe for some form of competition.

It is a cheap form of advertising. There are nine $500 Noel Leeming
vouchers to be won (I bet TelstraClear paid little if any for them)
for {Christchurch; Kapiti; Wellington} * {Jan, Feb, Mar}. Presumably
they cruise around to pick the lucky house. I have a gutsful of that
outfit anyway, this 'sticker' business made me feel sick.

steve

Peter wrote:

> At which point I will tell them into which orifice they can stick
> their 'service' and revert to Telecom and take up DSL (heaven forbid -
> how am I going to explain to the family that we are changing our phone
> number - again!).

I had to go back to Telecom in 2003 after 6 years with TelstraClear and I
was generally pleasantly surprised.

Telecom actually answer the phone.

They did mishandle a few things - and then refuse to listen - but that's par
for the course from ANY telco.

XP

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:29:35 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>
>> At which point I will tell them into which orifice they can stick
>> their 'service' and revert to Telecom and take up DSL (heaven forbid -
>> how am I going to explain to the family that we are changing our phone
>> number - again!).

>I had to go back to Telecom in 2003 after 6 years with TelstraClear and I
>was generally pleasantly surprised.
>
>Telecom actually answer the phone.
>
>They did mishandle a few things - and then refuse to listen - but that's par
>for the course from ANY telco.

The Problem here is Telescum charges are very high, like Phone rental caller
ID and no free calls to Wellington..

thing2

Peter wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:51:06 +1300, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Someone just said there will be no old accounts by March, and the new
>>ones dont differentiate nationa/international.
>>
>>?
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing
>>

> At which point I will tell them into which orifice they can stick
> their 'service' and revert to Telecom and take up DSL (heaven forbid -
> how am I going to explain to the family that we are changing our phone
> number - again!).
>
> By the way I have NOT put the TelstraClear sticker they sent me on to
> my mail box.

me neither, if they want adevertising they can pay me.

I suspect it might be to do with a door to door campaign coming to us
shortly, a sticker saves them knocking....

I think though given their new terms and conditions of, we can spam you
from our approved partners and if you object we will disconnect you,
that they wish to elevate the average revenue per customer....

So we seem to be entering an era of gouging the customer as much as
possible, and not cheaper and faster broadband for all....

Comes from having a duopoly....and not real competition.

regards

Thing

thing2

XP wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:51:06 +1300, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Someone just said there will be no old accounts by March, and the new
>>ones dont differentiate nationa/international.
>>
>>?
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> And no 10 Gig dnloads with the $80 accounts.
>
> I was informed by Telstra I can stay with my old account as I don't need
> rocket speed..

Me too a year ago....looks like that might be changing....hence my post.

I have had phone calls trying to get me to "upgrade", I said no no
point. Now its phone calls about replacing the modem.....I guess when
they force me to do that I will be "forced" to a new IP and a new plan.....

At which point I will consider moving back to Telecom or staying with
Clear.....or going back to dial up....these days I am not so sure I
really need broadband....my time on line is far less than it was....or
maybe the basic 128k "broadband" is enough....

regards

Thing