Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > AGP Card Question

AGP Card Question

XP

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:46:07 +1300, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Michael Daly wrote:
>> This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
>>
>> I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
>> card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
>> a card rated at AGP8x?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michael Daly
>>

>> Michael Daly

>I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
>x p3-1000) and it is fine.
>
>HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
>the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
>would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
>the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
>simply replace the DELL psu.
>
>regards
>
>thing

I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
power at boot time..???

frederick

Michael Daly wrote:
> thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
>>x p3-1000) and it is fine.
>>
>>HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
>>the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
>>would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
>>the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
>>simply replace the DELL psu.
>>
>>regards
>>
>>thing
>>

> Thanks for the tip; I'll check this out,
>
> Michael Daly

I have had an issue with an AGP 8X card on a M/B that supported AGP4x.
The BIOS setup had been set to AGP 1x/2x, which caused some weird
graphics errors (random patterns and dots around the mouse cursor), and
occasional system crashes. Changing the setting to AGP 4x resolved all
issues.

Richard

XP wrote:

> I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
> power at boot time..???

I think enermax have slipped on the quality of there retail power supplies recently.

A mate got a "600"w one and it was unstable. Swapping it out for a thermaltake
that was half the price and only "500" watts and the machine came right... thats
a thermaltake of all brands.

XP

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:38:40 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:
>
>> I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
>> power at boot time..???

>I think enermax have slipped on the quality of there retail power supplies recently.
>
>A mate got a "600"w one and it was unstable. Swapping it out for a thermaltake
>that was half the price and only "500" watts and the machine came right... thats
>a thermaltake of all brands.

thermaltake is the worse off all the brands, NO M.T.B.F and no factory
Warrantee Quoted, yes mine blow up after 16 months..

EMB

XP wrote:

> thermaltake is the worse off all the brands, NO M.T.B.F and no factory
> Warrantee Quoted, yes mine blow up after 16 months..

There may be no MTBF quoted on their website but there is in the
documentation that comes with their PSUs. The datasheet I've just
looked at quotes 75000hrs.

And as you well know, factory warranty is pretty much irrelevant when
the CGA applies.

--
EMB

thing2

XP wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:46:07 +1300, thing2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Michael Daly wrote:
>>
>>>This might seem a dumb question, but here goes:
>>>
>>>I have a Dell Dimension 8250 and am considering upgrading the video
>>>card. According to Dell's documentation the 8250 has AGP4x, so can I use
>>>a card rated at AGP8x?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Michael Daly
>>>

>>>Michael Daly

>>I just bought a Legend nvidia GT6600 (x for my 4x AGP speed machine (2
>>x p3-1000) and it is fine.
>>
>>HOWEVER the current needed is far to high for a standard PSU supplied in
>>the Dell I suspect (in the past they were very marginal from Dell). You
>>would want something like the Enermax 485w unit, but Dell's may not use
>>the standard PSU fittings/connectors, you need to check if you can
>>simply replace the DELL psu.
>>
>>regards
>>
>>thing

> I have a Enermax 485w unit and on Cold mornings the 6600GT reports lack of
> power at boot time..???

Movement - creep of the connector into the back of the video card?

Mine complained the other day and I found the connector had fallen out
so it was surviving on what the agp slot could provide.

I have the 600watt unit which is dual sli and had a good review off toms
hardware...it is also quiet and efficient....

My cheap 400w raidmax ($50) now seems OK after I swapped out the
motherboard with its 8 dodgy capacitors, they must have been leaking a
lot of current......

regards

Thing

Richard

thing2 wrote:
> Movement - creep of the connector into the back of the video card?
>
> Mine complained the other day and I found the connector had fallen out
> so it was surviving on what the agp slot could provide.
>
> I have the 600watt unit which is dual sli and had a good review off toms
> hardware...it is also quiet and efficient....
>
> My cheap 400w raidmax ($50) now seems OK after I swapped out the
> motherboard with its 8 dodgy capacitors, they must have been leaking a
> lot of current......

More likley drawing current with excessive ripple so the PSU would shutdown.
Switchers hate powering other switchers because they resonate with each other so
to speak. Need a big load of capacatance between them to stop that happening.