Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Changing UBS ISP to Ihug - problems

Changing UBS ISP to Ihug - problems

nil_einne1@email.com

Hey all,

I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet but does anyone know
what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP? I'm changing
from my 256k Orcon to a 2mbit Ihug, Ihug said Telecom told them it
would happen today. Indeed my DSL downlink speed is now 2560k as would
be expected. However I cannot log on with my Ihug login, or rather it
gives me a realm error if I try. It looks to me as if it's still
connecting to the Orcon realm or whatever. My Orcon account still works
fine and of course is still limited to 256k by Orcon. Does anyone know
if it's normal for Telecom to change the speed but not change me to the
Ihug UBS/realm/whatever?

I'm a bit worried because I also need to cancel my Orcon. I want to do
this as soon as possible so Orcon cancels it before my next billing
cycle next week. However I obviously can't do this yet. I'm a bit
concerned too that when I cancel my Orcon they might screw up and
cancel my DSL on my line. Once the switchover has happened they should
not be able to do this in theory but given this is Telecom, it wouldn't
surprise me if Telecom let's Orcon cancel DSL on a line that is with
Ihug...

Cheers all

Dogboy

?

> I'm a bit worried because I also need to cancel my Orcon. I want to do
> this as soon as possible so Orcon cancels it before my next billing
> cycle next week. However I obviously can't do this yet. I'm a bit
> concerned too that when I cancel my Orcon they might screw up and
> cancel my DSL on my line. Once the switchover has happened they should
> not be able to do this in theory but given this is Telecom, it wouldn't
> surprise me if Telecom let's Orcon cancel DSL on a line that is with
> Ihug...

I dont know if this helps you but I know that changing over is a two
step process. The first step is your modem gets connected at your new
fast speed then roughly 24-48 hours after that you can actually use that
speed on the Ihug network.

I have upgraded from Ihug 256k to 2mbps and I know that the modem
connecting at 2mbps is only the first half of the process. A lot of
people have found their modem connected at 2mbps and instantly gone and
done a speed test to find their speed is still ~256kbps.

My advice to you is wait a day or two and see what happens, it could be
a very similar thing happening to you just over two different ISPs
rather than the Ihug to Ihug process that I know about.

--
Dogboy

nil_einne1@email.com

Dogboy wrote:
> I dont know if this helps you but I know that changing over is a two
> step process. The first step is your modem gets connected at your new
> fast speed then roughly 24-48 hours after that you can actually use that
> speed on the Ihug network.
>
> I have upgraded from Ihug 256k to 2mbps and I know that the modem
> connecting at 2mbps is only the first half of the process. A lot of
> people have found their modem connected at 2mbps and instantly gone and
> done a speed test to find their speed is still ~256kbps.
>
> My advice to you is wait a day or two and see what happens, it could be
> a very similar thing happening to you just over two different ISPs
> rather than the Ihug to Ihug process that I know about.

Yes I read about this... I'm not quite sure if it's the same though. I
think in these cases, what happens is Telecom changes the speed at the
Dslam and then the ISP needs to change their settings. This is somewhat
similar to what I'm experiencing now in that I'm still limited to 256k
as it should be because Orcon is limiting me to 256k. Of course, Orcon
should not be changing my limit to 2mbit unlike they would for a normal
speed change.

But in my case, I believe it's slightly different. It's possible
Telecom have done their stuff and are waiting for Ihug but from the way
things are, I think it's still Telecom that has to change me over to
Ihug before it'll work.

I know changes to the PPP authentication system (I think it has a name,
can't remember what it is) usually happen over night so hopefully it'll
be done soon, I'll let you know how it goes.

Craig Shore

On 13 Nov 2005 23:21:46 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet

It's not a painful experience, they answer quick, you should have just rung them

>but does anyone know
>what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP?

a. Telecom change the line
b. Telecom notify ihug
c. ihug make the changes at their end.

There seems to be a bit of a delay between a and b which I found could be
emiminated by me ringing the ihug helpdesk. That happened because I wondered
the same as you when I had the new line speed to the dslam. I called ihug and he
said they were waiting on Telecom to tell them it was all go, but he tried doing
the change at their end when I was on the phone to him. It was then operational
for me in less than 5 mins.

nil_einne1@email.com

Craig Shore wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2005 23:21:46 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >Hey all,
> >
> >I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet

> It's not a painful experience, they answer quick, you should have just rung them

I dislike calling people, now matter how painless it is. Especially
when it's unnecessary. Call me anti social but...

> >but does anyone know
> >what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP?

> a. Telecom change the line
> b. Telecom notify ihug
> c. ihug make the changes at their end.
>
> There seems to be a bit of a delay between a and b which I found could be
> emiminated by me ringing the ihug helpdesk. That happened because I wondered
> the same as you when I had the new line speed to the dslam. I called ihug and he
> said they were waiting on Telecom to tell them it was all go, but he tried doing
> the change at their end when I was on the phone to him. It was then operational
> for me in less than 5 mins.

For clarification are you refering to a change in UBS ISP or simply a
change in line speed? Want to check because as mentioned elsewhere, I'm
not quite sure if my change is the same as the change in speed, in fact
I think it's not. But perhaps I'm wrong...

Craig Shore

On 15 Nov 2005 02:48:36 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Craig Shore wrote:
>
>> On 13 Nov 2005 23:21:46 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> >Hey all,
>> >
>> >I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet

>> It's not a painful experience, they answer quick, you should have just rung them
>>

>I dislike calling people, now matter how painless it is. Especially
>when it's unnecessary. Call me anti social but...
>

>> >but does anyone know
>> >what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP?

>> a. Telecom change the line
>> b. Telecom notify ihug
>> c. ihug make the changes at their end.
>>
>> There seems to be a bit of a delay between a and b which I found could be
>> emiminated by me ringing the ihug helpdesk. That happened because I wondered
>> the same as you when I had the new line speed to the dslam. I called ihug and he
>> said they were waiting on Telecom to tell them it was all go, but he tried doing
>> the change at their end when I was on the phone to him. It was then operational
>> for me in less than 5 mins.

>For clarification are you refering to a change in UBS ISP or simply a
>change in line speed? Want to check because as mentioned elsewhere, I'm
>not quite sure if my change is the same as the change in speed, in fact
>I think it's not. But perhaps I'm wrong...

Changing ISP.