Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DSE weird pricing....

DSE weird pricing....

Mark Robinson

Jerry wrote:
> XPD wrote:
>> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:dl97no$3qm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.

>> No, just typical DSE.
>> In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord for
>> our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy
>> there
>> said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
>> wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we
>> needed.
>> I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
>> good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont
>> sell it

> A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

Wasn't there a bit of a hoohaa a while ago when Sony recalled the mains cables
due to a tendency to halt and catch fire ...

Craig Shore

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:52:33 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:43:00 +1300, XPD wrote:
>

>> I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
>> good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell it
>> :-p

>My current 'thing to do when bored' is to go to one of the local DSE's and
>ask the sales person "What chipset is the onboard WiFi on <blah> laptop
>(which is sitting on their display shelf)"
>_EVERY_ time so far Ive been told 802.11b and/or 802.11g
>When I did it this morning the weirdo salesboy insisted I had no idea what
>I was asking
>Interestingly I tried this game at Bond & Bond in town, and they read
>their spec sheet, and said "802.11b & g" then followed that up with.. well
>that doesnt tell us anything does it
>/me was impressed, especially considering Bond & Bond aint a geek shop

Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
it's going to work isn't it.

Jerry

Mark Robinson wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>
>> XPD wrote:
>>
>>> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:dl97no$3qm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> No, just typical DSE.
>>> In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord
>>> for
>>> our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy
>>> there
>>> said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
>>> wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we
>>> needed.
>>> I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
>>> good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont
>>> sell it

>> A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

> Wasn't there a bit of a hoohaa a while ago when Sony recalled the mains
> cables due to a tendency to halt and catch fire ...

That was the slim PS2 that used an external power supply, not the mains
cable. XPD and I are talking about the mains cable for the old PS2,
which uses a standard figure 8 cable.

stevesub

Recently bought a PCI 4 port USB card. DSE was $60 so I bought one off
eBay for $11 delivered - worked fine but had to wait a week before it
arrived.

Also just bought a $25 book on eBay for $10 - delivered and was brand
new.

We love eBay.

Stevesub

Shane

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:31:42 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

> Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
> it's going to work isn't it.

Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
Driver compatibility.
Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
(for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
I can run <distro of choice> on it
If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

Peter

Max Burke wrote:

> Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
> trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
>
> The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x
> $6.90 = $20.70)

DSE will charge what they think the market will stand for any item. For
example once upon a time printer cables were $50 (and ribbon cable and
plugs to 'roll your own' not much less). A computer shop had them for $25.

Similarly a blank card plate cost a fortune at DSE but could be got cheaply
from a computer shop as they had a box full of surplus ones.

In the bad old days of sales tax, batteries were taxed rather heavily.
Hearing aid batteries were exempt, so the cheapest source for some
batteries was a chemists shop (which are not usually noted for low prices).

Therefore shop around.

MarkH

"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
> trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
>
> The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x
> $6.90
>= $20.70)
>
> Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98
> with 3 of the button cells included...
> (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...7d362741c0a87f
> 990718/Product/View/T2903)
>
> Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same
> type of button cells.
> (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.ph...07c37d362741c0
> a87f990718&site=&w=blue+led+pen&submit.x=7&submit. y=5)
>
> The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3
> spare button cells.....
>
> So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for
> $9.76 and two novelty pens...
>
> The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed
> out/asked why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button
> cells costs $4.88...

And you verified that the cells in the pen were identical to the separate
ones that they were selling? Same brand? Same chemistry? Same capacity?
Same shelf life?

Let's face it - the cells in the pen could be 50c cells and the cells sold
separately could be $1.50 cells. And of course DSE do have quite a large
markup on some of the small stuff, like a $3 ($4 at most) cable (3.5mm
stereo plug to 2 x RCA plugs) for $15.90. If you don't like it then shop
around. I went into DSE looking for a Mod Tap (Telecom socket to RJ45
plug) and it was $19.80, I didn't buy it because I can get one for $3.50 +
GST from a wholesaler.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

shannon

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:52:27 +1300, Shane wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:31:42 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:
>

>> Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
>> it's going to work isn't it.

> Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
> Driver compatibility.
> Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
> (for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
> So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
> I can run <distro of choice> on it
> If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

FreeBSD has an NDIS wrapper called Project evil
linux has ndiswrapper
They work with the Windows drivers provided for most chipsets

Shane

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:11:58 +1300, shannon wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:52:27 +1300, Shane wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:31:42 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:
>>

>>> Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
>>> it's going to work isn't it.

>> Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
>> Driver compatibility.
>> Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
>> (for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
>> So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
>> I can run <distro of choice> on it
>> If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

> FreeBSD has an NDIS wrapper called Project evil
> linux has ndiswrapper
> They work with the Windows drivers provided for most chipsets

Ta,
I had been under the impression there were still limitations with
ndiswrapper, and some chipsets werent supported, or werent at 100%

shannon

Shane wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:11:58 +1300, shannon wrote:

>>>Why does anybody ever ask about chipsets?
>>>Driver compatibility.
>>>Im not too clued up on WiFi, with regards to *nix, but theres no point
>>>(for me) getting onboard WiFi and not being able to use it in Linux
>>>So, I want the chipset, then I plan on double checking on the intarweb if
>>>I can run <distro of choice> on it
>>>If I'm _super_ lucky I hope to find *BSD compatibility

>>FreeBSD has an NDIS wrapper called Project evil
>>linux has ndiswrapper
>>They work with the Windows drivers provided for most chipsets

> Ta,
> I had been under the impression there were still limitations with
> ndiswrapper, and some chipsets werent supported, or werent at 100%

There are a lot of variables.
Having a look at the driver or config utility in Windows could help
identify it faster than asking a salesman.
For Atheros chipsets there is the madwifi driver project. Atheros seems
pretty popular for laptop integrated wifi.