Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DSE weird pricing....

DSE weird pricing....

Max Burke

Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
trainer (sorry laser pointer)....

The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x $6.90
= $20.70)

Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98 with
3 of the button cells included...
(http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/T2903)

Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same type of
button cells.
(http://dse.resultspage.com/search.ph...x=7&submit.y=5)

The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3 spare
button cells.....

So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for $9.76 and
two novelty pens...

The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed out/asked
why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button cells costs $4.88...

Found Images

EMB

Max Burke wrote:
> Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
> trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
>
> The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x
> $6.90 = $20.70)
>
> Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98
> with 3 of the button cells included...
> (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/T2903)
>

> Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same type
> of button cells.
> (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.ph...x=7&submit.y=5)
>

> The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3 spare
> button cells.....
>
> So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for $9.76
> and two novelty pens...
>
> The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed
> out/asked why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button cells
> costs $4.88...

Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.

--
EMB

XPD

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dl97no$3qm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.
>
> --
> EMB

No, just typical DSE.

In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord for
our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy there
said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we needed.
I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell it
:-p

Jerry

XPD wrote:
> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dl97no$3qm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.
>>
>>--
>>EMB

> No, just typical DSE.
>
> In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord for
> our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy there
> said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
> wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we needed.
> I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
> good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell it
> :-p

A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

Max Burke

> EMB scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:
>> Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my
>> cat/dog trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
>> The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3
>> x $6.90 = $20.70)
>> Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost
>> $19.98 with 3 of the button cells included...
>> (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/T2903)
>> Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same
>> type of button cells.
>> (http://dse.resultspage.com/search.ph...x=7&submit.y=5)
>> The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3
>> spare button cells.....
>> So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for
>> $9.76 and two novelty pens...
>> The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed
>> out/asked why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button
>> cells costs $4.88...

> Jaycar have them for $1.55ea Methinks DSE have cocked up somewhere.

The DSE website says they're $5.86 each....

But then the DSE pen/batteries are still cheaper that the Jaycar bulk buy
price, 82c each ($9.76 / 12 if you/I consider the pen free) as opposed to
the Jaycar price of $1.30 each for 15 or more.

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

Shane

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:43:00 +1300, XPD wrote:

> I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
> good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell it
> :-p

My current 'thing to do when bored' is to go to one of the local DSE's and
ask the sales person "What chipset is the onboard WiFi on <blah> laptop
(which is sitting on their display shelf)"
_EVERY_ time so far Ive been told 802.11b and/or 802.11g
When I did it this morning the weirdo salesboy insisted I had no idea what
I was asking
Interestingly I tried this game at Bond & Bond in town, and they read
their spec sheet, and said "802.11b & g" then followed that up with.. well
that doesnt tell us anything does it
/me was impressed, especially considering Bond & Bond aint a geek shop

XP

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:21:10 +1300, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Wanted to get 3 replacement LR41/AG3/SR41 button cells for my cat/dog
>trainer (sorry laser pointer)....
>
>The 'helpful' DSE sales person told me they cost $6.90c each... (3 x $6.90
>= $20.70)
>
>Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98 with
>3 of the button cells included...
>(http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/T2903)
>
>Then I remembered buying one of these pens that also uses the same type of
>button cells.
>(http://dse.resultspage.com/search.ph...x=7&submit.y=5)
>
>The pens are $4.88 each and have 3 button cells in the pen plus 3 spare
>button cells.....
>
>So I decided to get two pens which means I got 12 button cells for $9.76 and
>two novelty pens...
>
>The 'helpful' sales person didn't seem to 'get it' when I pointed out/asked
>why one button cell costs $6.90 but a pen with 6 button cells costs $4.88...

The $2 shop was selling some type but it might just be the LR44, but be
careful the LR is a Alkaline and the SR is a Silver oxide battery, that lasts
a lot longer.

Also try any Supermarket & warehouse Stationery

XPD

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4378248d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In the weekend my partner went to DSE to get a replacement power cord

for
> > our PS2 (we just moved house and original cord went AWOL)....the guy

there
> > said "oh no, you cant get those anywhere but from Sony due to the high
> > wattage they use" - Went to Jaycar and $10 later had exactly what we

needed.
> > I only goto DSE if I know exactly what I want (and that DSE have it at a
> > good price) and I have the cat. # for when the staff say they dont sell

it
> > :-p
> >

> A PS2 is just a figure 8 cable isn't it? Mine is anyway

Yup, exactly

Mark Robinson

Max Burke wrote:
> Fairly expensive I thought especially as the laser pointer cost $19.98
> with 3 of the button cells included...
> (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/T2903)

two dollar shop

EMB

Craig Shore wrote:

> Why would anyone care who makes the chips? As long as they are certified then
> it's going to work isn't it.

Probably..... but if you've got a WAP with the same chipset as the
laptop you've got an extra bit of certainty about it's performance.

--
EMB