Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > microsoft visual c++ runtime library " abnormal program termination"when playing games...

microsoft visual c++ runtime library " abnormal program termination"when playing games...

thingy

any ideas?

Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so I
am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific fix....

regards

Thing

Mercury

What was the last s/w change you made?
What reports the error IE how to recreate?
Any more details in the event logs?

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> any ideas?
>
> Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so I am
> reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific fix....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Bok

thingy wrote:
> any ideas?
> Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so I
> am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific fix....

That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.

thingy

Mercury wrote:
> What was the last s/w change you made?

Fresh install of win2k.

Hardware patches and drivers only.

Comes from 2 games as that is all I have installed.

win2k itself is un-patched, but a fully patched version also crashes all
games. I had an earlier post trying to find a hware fault, but I suspect
it is directx or something.....

The machine runs fine in linux and win2k as log as I am in 2d
mode....games crash....everyone I have tried....

> What reports the error IE how to recreate?

re-creatable every time I run Wolfenstein or never winter nights.

I have not tried starcraft or dungeon seige yet, but they used to simply
crash on the original install.

> Any more details in the event logs?

Will go look...assuming I can find the logs....

regards

Thing

thingy

Mercury wrote:
> What was the last s/w change you made?
> What reports the error IE how to recreate?
> Any more details in the event logs?

nothing in logs.

Quake2 runs but that has no hware acceleration....all software.

Quake3 does not
Return to Castle Wolf does not
Second Sight sorta runs but lots of lines run through it and parts of
the screen flash terribly...
Dungeon Seige, ditto.....

All these thing used to run fine..........

now I am stumped....

nothing left to try....

Except swap out the motherboard and ram...

:/

regards

Thing

thingy

Bok wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>
>> any ideas?
>> Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so
>> I am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific
>> fix....
>>

> That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
> runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
> abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
> give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.

All the games I had that used to run fine...now dont....what I have
found is a swollen capacitor on my graphics card and at least 2 on the
motherboard...

:/

regards

Thing

Bruce Knox

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:33:48 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bok wrote:
>> thingy wrote:
>>
>>> any ideas?
>>> Once I start to patch things the crashes dont report this error....so
>>> I am reluctant to blanket patch win2k itself unless its a specific
>>> fix....
>>>

>> That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
>> runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
>> abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
>> give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.

>All the games I had that used to run fine...now dont....what I have
>found is a swollen capacitor on my graphics card and at least 2 on the
>motherboard...
>
>:/
>
>regards
>
>Thing

You dont have a Dell GX270 do you. They (motherboards) are nearly all
failing with swollen capacitors. Bad batch from the fatory I beleive.

Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
http://physio.otago.ac.nz

thingy

Bruce Knox wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:33:48 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Bok wrote:

>>>That message is displayed by the abort() runtime function in the VC++
>>>runtime library. It normally means the app you are running called the
>>>abort() function. Any well behaved app would at least log something or
>>>give you a clue as to why it's about to abort before doing so.

>>All the games I had that used to run fine...now dont....what I have
>>found is a swollen capacitor on my graphics card and at least 2 on the
>>motherboard...
>>
>>:/
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Thing

> You dont have a Dell GX270 do you. They (motherboards) are nearly all
> failing with swollen capacitors. Bad batch from the fatory I beleive.
>
> Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
> http://physio.otago.ac.nz

No I dont own a Dell It is more widespread than just Dells.

regards

Thing