Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is this copy-protection?

Is this copy-protection?

David

I popped my brand new Radiohead CD I bought from sounds today, and
proceeded to rip with EAC (Secure). Up until track 5, all was well,
99.9% or 100.0%, however, why not 100% for all of them? Its a brand new
disc.
After that it went weird:
Track 6
Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\06 - Optimistic.wav

Suspicious position 0:03:34

Missing samples
Peak level 0.0 %
Track quality 99.3 %
Copy finished

Track 7
Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\07 - In Limbo.wav

Peak level 98.6 %
Track quality 99.8 %
Copy CRC C7771C8E
Copy OK

Track 8
Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\08 - Idioteque.wav

Suspicious position 0:00:48

Missing samples
Peak level 0.0 %
Track quality 97.6 %
Copy finished

Track 9
Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\09 - Morning Bell.wav

Suspicious position 0:02:21

Missing samples
Peak level 0.0 %
Track quality 99.1 %
Copy finished

Track 10
Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\10 - Motion Picture Soundtrack.wav

Too many samples
Peak level 98.4 %
Track quality 99.9 %
Copy CRC C12EFCE4
Copy finished

There were errors

XP

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:13:44 +1300, David
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I popped my brand new Radiohead CD I bought from sounds today, and
>proceeded to rip with EAC (Secure). Up until track 5, all was well,
>99.9% or 100.0%, however, why not 100% for all of them? Its a brand new
>disc.
>After that it went weird:

This is Very normal..

Disks are not 100% error free, you also get bad pressing and drives do
jitter.

I have had very similar repots when I use that program try Feurio.

http://www.feurio.de/

Richard

XP wrote:

> This is Very normal..
>
> Disks are not 100% error free, you also get bad pressing and drives do
> jitter.
>
> I have had very similar repots when I use that program try Feurio.
>

> http://www.feurio.de/

Suggesting that one gets rid of the errors that EAC reports by using something
that doesnt tell you about errors is like sticking your head in the sand so you
dont see the oncoming train..

XP

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:42:54 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:
>
>> This is Very normal..
>>
>> Disks are not 100% error free, you also get bad pressing and drives do
>> jitter.
>>
>> I have had very similar repots when I use that program try Feurio.
>>

>> http://www.feurio.de/

>Suggesting that one gets rid of the errors that EAC reports by using something
>that doesnt tell you about errors is like sticking your head in the sand so you
>dont see the oncoming train..

Feurio. would be a 1000 times better than EAC..

Peter Huebner

In article <kqCcf.199$(E-Mail Removed)>, daviddl.no-circulars-
> ubject: Is this copy-protection?
> From: David <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
> I popped my brand new Radiohead CD I bought from sounds today, and
> proceeded to rip with EAC (Secure). Up until track 5, all was well,
> 99.9% or 100.0%, however, why not 100% for all of them? Its a brand new
> disc.
> After that it went weird:

There is a fairly simple way to find out. Download a trial version of
AnyDVD and install it. Then try to rip the CD again. If it now works,
it was probably copy protection. If it still barfs at the same spots,
then there may be an invisible problem with the disk.

Hope you didn't allow that disk to autoplay on your machine, or you may
already have some malicious software installed, that will try to
interfere with your burning software etc.

-P.

steve

Richard wrote:

> XP wrote:
>
>> This is Very normal..
>>
>> Disks are not 100% error free, you also get bad pressing and drives do
>> jitter.
>>
>> I have had very similar repots when I use that program try Feurio.
>>

>> http://www.feurio.de/

> Suggesting that one gets rid of the errors that EAC reports by using
> something that doesnt tell you about errors is like sticking your head in
> the sand so you dont see the oncoming train..

If the train is half the size of a grain of sand and travelling at very low
speed, it might not matter.

Depends on how big the errors are and whether or not you can hear them.

Mercury

Agreed - its not an OS install disc.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:59:51 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <kqCcf.199$(E-Mail Removed)>, daviddl.no-circulars-
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> ubject: Is this copy-protection?
>> From: David <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>>
>> I popped my brand new Radiohead CD I bought from sounds today, and
>> proceeded to rip with EAC (Secure). Up until track 5, all was well,
>> 99.9% or 100.0%, however, why not 100% for all of them? Its a brand new
>> disc.
>> After that it went weird:
>>

>There is a fairly simple way to find out. Download a trial version of
>AnyDVD and install it. Then try to rip the CD again. If it now works,
>it was probably copy protection. If it still barfs at the same spots,
>then there may be an invisible problem with the disk.
>
>Hope you didn't allow that disk to autoplay on your machine, or you may
>already have some malicious software installed, that will try to
>interfere with your burning software etc.
>
>-P.

Has nothing at all to do with Copy Protection at all, most ROM drives do not
rip to well at all and many CD's have error to start with due to Bad
pressings..

Also CD drive jitter can cause these errors..

Check the Feurio Data base on drives

David

David wrote:
> I popped my brand new Radiohead CD I bought from sounds today, and
> proceeded to rip with EAC (Secure). Up until track 5, all was well,
> 99.9% or 100.0%, however, why not 100% for all of them? Its a brand new
> disc.
> After that it went weird:
> Track 6
> Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\06 - Optimistic.wav
>
> Suspicious position 0:03:34
>
> Missing samples
> Peak level 0.0 %
> Track quality 99.3 %
> Copy finished
>
> Track 7
> Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\07 - In Limbo.wav
>
> Peak level 98.6 %
> Track quality 99.8 %
> Copy CRC C7771C8E
> Copy OK
>
> Track 8
> Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\08 - Idioteque.wav
>
> Suspicious position 0:00:48
>
> Missing samples
> Peak level 0.0 %
> Track quality 97.6 %
> Copy finished
>
> Track 9
> Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\09 - Morning Bell.wav
>
> Suspicious position 0:02:21
>
> Missing samples
> Peak level 0.0 %
> Track quality 99.1 %
> Copy finished
>
> Track 10
> Filename D:\Radiohead - Kid A\10 - Motion Picture Soundtrack.wav
>
> Too many samples
> Peak level 98.4 %
> Track quality 99.9 %
> Copy CRC C12EFCE4
> Copy finished
>
> There were errors

Weirdly enough, I rebooted, tried again and it went fine, just one
"suspicious position" in track 9, I can see a scratch there, it was
there when I first took it from the case. Not really good enough for
$35, but the error is unnoticable.

shannon

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:58:38 +1300, XP wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:42:54 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>XP wrote:
>>
>>> This is Very normal..
>>>
>>> Disks are not 100% error free, you also get bad pressing and drives do
>>> jitter.
>>>
>>> I have had very similar repots when I use that program try Feurio.
>>>

>>> http://www.feurio.de/

>>Suggesting that one gets rid of the errors that EAC reports by using something
>>that doesnt tell you about errors is like sticking your head in the sand so you
>>dont see the oncoming train..

> Feurio. would be a 1000 times better than EAC..

EAC will rip the Sony DRM CDs if you turn off autoplay and don't click yes
to the rootkit installer.
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004144.php

How about Feurio ?