Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Trade Me alternative time ?

Trade Me alternative time ?

Justin

Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?

Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
Auction sites.

So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!

If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?

Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
offerings. And any other suggestions.

Regards

J.

ofn01

Justin wrote:
> Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
>
> Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
> TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
> Auction sites.
>
> So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
> Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
>
> If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?

I can imagine it would be along the lines of "low fees", "high
security", "fast website", "good mediation and support".

So you have to have expensive hardware, well written software, make sure
that it is all safe and secure (maybe purchase some decent digital
certificates) and then hire lots of people to run all that and also
provide good support & mediation.

Oh, and then charge a really low fee for each sale.

steve

Justin wrote:

> Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?

Depends on what you are selling. I have found the $3.95 package (feature,
Gallery, etc....) gets good results.

I might pay that . but sell the item in 2-3 days for $85...with virtually no
effort on my part.

That's worth money.

> Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
> TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
> Auction sites.

But how many Kiwis use those? TradeMe has a big, local following.

> So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
> Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!

Go for it.

> If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?
>
> Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
> offerings. And any other suggestions.

Chris Hope

ofn01 wrote:

> Justin wrote:
>> Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
>>
>> Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look
>> like TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many
>> prebuilt Auction sites.
>>
>> So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers
>> and Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
>>
>> If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?

> I can imagine it would be along the lines of "low fees", "high
> security", "fast website", "good mediation and support".
>
> So you have to have expensive hardware, well written software, make
> sure that it is all safe and secure (maybe purchase some decent
> digital certificates) and then hire lots of people to run all that and
> also provide good support & mediation.
>
> Oh, and then charge a really low fee for each sale.

And get large numbers of buyers to the site to make it worthwhile for
the sellers.

Max

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)4free.co.nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Who here thinks that Trade Me's fees are starting to look excessive ?
>
> Looking around via Google gives me lot's of alternatives that look like
> TM clones or people forking out the $USD9.95 of one of the many prebuilt
> Auction sites.
>
> So I am thinking should I write one myself that is all about Buyers and
> Sellers? No Oldfriends or Forums etc.!
>
> If so what would the community want to see in a Kiwi Auction site ?
>
> Feel free to say what you find good or bad about any of the current
> offerings. And any other suggestions.
>
> Regards
>
> J.

Go for it. You will never know if it will succeed if you don't try, but you
will need a very good business plan. Sounds like a bit of a pipe dream on
your part and doesn't soundlike you have put too much thought into it yet.
It is going to become a very competitive market, especially when the telecom
one launches, which will mainly concentrate on new goods.. There are already
quite a few smaller NZ ones out there, and simply they can't compete with
trademe due to the exposure trade me get.

hugh

coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone
Just dont type www.ferrit.com!!

EMB

hugh wrote:
> coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone

You've bought that line have you? Telecom have stated that it ain't an
auction site, more a virtual mall and isn't going to be a Trademe
competitor. One of the developers doing the work on the site echoes
those comments too.

--
EMB

news.xtra.co.nz

"hugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone
> Just dont type www.ferrit.com!!

of course I had to type ferrit.com - ha ha what losers telecom are.

Chris Hope

hugh wrote:

> coming soon...http://www.ferrit.co.nz/ ... Telecom's Trademe clone
> Just dont type www.ferrit.com!!

As far as I understand from actually talking to them a couple of times
it's just a site for listing / search for products with direct links
through to the associated ecommerce site. I'm going to be listing at
least a couple of sites with them - they read an xml feed to update
their database. There is a stage 2 plan to have some sort of shopping
cart facility but this is all for buying retail products, rather than
stuff from any Joe Public which is obviously what TradeMe is.

There is another comptetitor to TradeMe which was launched relatively
recently at www.zillion.co.nz but the problem with setting up any
auction site is it's very chicken and egg. You need sellers to get
buyers and you need buyers to get sellers. Given that TradeMe is /the/
place to go you are far better to sell there as it will get more
eyeballs (and potentially more bids) than a newcomer website. Zillion
really ought to do a lot more marketing if they want to succeed.

Invisible

Also www.tradermania.co.nz have been doing some TV advertising.