Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Nvidia 6800 GS cards

Nvidia 6800 GS cards

Vincent Vega

Just when I had my PC upgrade researched and ready to order along comes the
Nvidia 6800 GS cards which look to be the best bang-for-buck so far in the
mid-level price range.
A search on Pricespy has failed to turn up any suppliers for these cards.
Any idea when these will be out on the NZ market (hopefully before
Christmas) and what price range they'll be?

Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
charging $70 USD for shipping?

Thanks in advance.

XP

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:18:43 +1300, "Vincent Vega" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just when I had my PC upgrade researched and ready to order along comes the
>Nvidia 6800 GS cards which look to be the best bang-for-buck so far in the
>mid-level price range.
>A search on Pricespy has failed to turn up any suppliers for these cards.
>Any idea when these will be out on the NZ market (hopefully before
>Christmas) and what price range they'll be?
>
>Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
>charging $70 USD for shipping?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Yes in about 6 months or more..

thingy

Vincent Vega wrote:
> Just when I had my PC upgrade researched and ready to order along comes the
> Nvidia 6800 GS cards which look to be the best bang-for-buck so far in the
> mid-level price range.
> A search on Pricespy has failed to turn up any suppliers for these cards.
> Any idea when these will be out on the NZ market (hopefully before
> Christmas) and what price range they'll be?
>
> Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
> charging $70 USD for shipping?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Seems the shipping is a common ripoff from the US these days. I gave up
on ebay after the shipping just got silly, yet books from Amazon got
cheaper!

You might try and get one from OZ.

regards

Thing

Daniel

Vincent Vega wrote:
> Just when I had my PC upgrade researched and ready to order along comes the
> Nvidia 6800 GS cards which look to be the best bang-for-buck so far in the
> mid-level price range.
> A search on Pricespy has failed to turn up any suppliers for these cards.
> Any idea when these will be out on the NZ market (hopefully before
> Christmas) and what price range they'll be?
>
> Or - better still, anyone know of a US supplier that'll ship to NZ without
> charging $70 USD for shipping?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Not bad, especially with the 425MHz core.

If you're content with stock configurations, the 6800GS is a nice piece
of hardware.

Although, I think Sapphire's X800GTO (which uses a genuine R480 core),
has 1.6ns memory, and with a lower price than the 6800GS would be worth
looking at.
Apparently, no one has had any problems unlocking the additional 4
pipes, making for a very easy and cheap mod without even needing to
touch the GPU or memory speed.

Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> Although, I think Sapphire's X800GTO (which uses a genuine R480 core),
> has 1.6ns memory, and with a lower price than the 6800GS would be worth
> looking at.
> Apparently, no one has had any problems unlocking the additional 4
> pipes, making for a very easy and cheap mod without even needing to
> touch the GPU or memory speed.

I've just read that there are 2 variations on the Sapphire X800GTO's.
The GTO and GTO^2. The GTO doesn't unlock the extra pipes, but, the
GTO^2 does. I think the GTO^2 is also called the FireBlade Deluxe
Edition - this is the one that definitely unlocks to 16 pipes.

Connect3D also do an X800GTO, that does allow the additional 16 pipes to
be unlocked, however, the core is an R430, and I think the memory is
only 2ns.

I read an interesting post about the GTO's that basically said that ATI
were overstocked with X800XL and X850 (i.e R430/R480), and so were
"dumping" them in the X800GT and X800GTO series. Although, the X800GT's
are hard-locked to 8 pipes. So, people are expecting the GT/GTO cards to
be short lived, once the the surplus stock runs out I guess.