Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Will HDTV be a Joke here like Laser Disk

Will HDTV be a Joke here like Laser Disk

ChrisOD

In article <4371611a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Philip wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Richard wrote:

>>> NTSC HD is either 720 progressive or 1080 interlaced at 30 and 60 fields
>>> per sec respectivly.
>>>
>>> Some bright spark made the PAL HD equivilents the same res but 25 and 50
>>> f/s - most likly to make transcode down to SD PAL easier.
>>>
>>> and most PAL derivitives of US shows now are converted from the HD source,
>>> so look better then they would in NTSC resolution wise. Since a lot are
>>> film sourced they just do an inverse telecyne on it and then up the frame
>>> rate like you get on movies that are made PAL.

>> Ta.
>>
>> It's been a while since I read up on it. Conceptually in the ballpark but
>> almost all wrong on precise technical detail. Often the way.
>>
>> With tech stuff, if you didn't read about it yesterday, you're probably out
>> of date.
>>

> The big threat with HDTV isn't the quality, it's the inbuilt DRM,
> designed to stop you doing what you like with the product.
>
> Hollywood (the MPAA) is still pushing for controls that will let them
> charge you extra for recording, time-shifting, fast-forwarding, scene
> review, pause, multiple language, on-screen sub-titles, copying (mostly
> forbidden) and watching anything you got off the Internet or bought abroad.
>
> Microsoft and Intel have already agreed to incorporate DRM controls into
> HDTV product due to ship in the next year. And the MPAA has now come up
> with a real show-stopper - they want to ban US sale of any A-D
> converters unless they are locked down, proprietary and incorporating
> all the controls they want and more. It's their way of dealing with what
> they call the "analog hole".

IIRC the MPAA have been trying to get this legislation introduced for about
4 years. They haven't had much luck with the AD converter bit.

> Jack Valenti (head of MPAA, the Motion Picture Association of America))
> is the leader of the Lizard Army, and we don't need HDTV here until his
> BS is done away with.
>
> Hollywood needs to understand that if they sell the movies like
> paperbacks, nobody will bother to pirate them. So long as they keep the
> price inflated like hardback books, the incentive is there to make
> rip-off copies. The issue is whether it's better to sell 1 million
> copies at $39 or 20 million copies at $10 or $15. Business choice. Do
> the math.
>
> If I were me, I'd go with the mass-market model. And if it's a half-way
> decent flick I'll still pay to sit in the Cathay Cinema and watch it on
> the big screen.
>
> Philip

Robert Cooze

Roger_Nickel wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>
>> The big threat with HDTV isn't the quality, it's the inbuilt DRM,
>> designed to stop you doing what you like with the product.
>>
>> Hollywood (the MPAA) is still pushing for controls that will let them
>> charge you extra for recording, time-shifting, fast-forwarding, scene
>> review, pause, multiple language, on-screen sub-titles, copying
>> (mostly forbidden) and watching anything you got off the Internet or
>> bought abroad.
>>
>> Microsoft and Intel have already agreed to incorporate DRM controls
>> into HDTV product due to ship in the next year. And the MPAA has now
>> come up with a real show-stopper - they want to ban US sale of any A-D
>> converters unless they are locked down, proprietary and incorporating
>> all the controls they want and more. It's their way of dealing with
>> what they call the "analog hole".

> Do they even realies how many A/D converters are out there?. Surely the
> medical equipment, avionics and industrial instrumentation people will
> have something to say about this. A nuclear reactor meltdown due to DRM
> failure?, oh happy day.

Hell my last 3 muti meaters had em that is A/D converters

steve

Philip wrote:

> If I were me, I'd go with the mass-market model. And if it's a half-way
> decent flick I'll still pay to sit in the Cathay Cinema and watch it on
> the big screen.
>
> Philip

....and they need to bear in mind that any people like myself will avail
themselves of the option of foregoing their product entirely....or near as
dammit to it.