Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Large drive support

Large drive support

David

Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
nvidia nForce 220.

thing2

David wrote:
> Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
> can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
> nvidia nForce 220.

Go look at your board manufacturers website, you may have to download
and install a new bios.

regards

Thing

David

thing2 wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my
>> system can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is
>> an nvidia nForce 220.

> Go look at your board manufacturers website, you may have to download
> and install a new bios.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Its a compaq presario (6622NZ), unfortunately the website is very unhelpful.

GraB

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:26:50 +1300, David
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>thing2 wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>
>>> Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my
>>> system can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is
>>> an nvidia nForce 220.

>> Go look at your board manufacturers website, you may have to download
>> and install a new bios.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

>Its a compaq presario (6622NZ), unfortunately the website is very unhelpful.

That's Compaq. I would guess that it should be compatible, unless you
are using Win98*. The drive manufacturer may have a patch if it isn't
compatible.

Gordon

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:33:18 +1300, David wrote:

> Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
> can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
> nvidia nForce 220.

nvidia have not been into other than graphic chipsets. If the PC is
younger than 3 years old i would say 250GB okay.

If not the HD manufacturer's site probably has some software to make it
work.

EMB

Gordon wrote:

> nvidia have not been into other than graphic chipsets.

Oh! Who made the nForce chipset in the PC I'm posting this from then?

--
EMB

David

EMB wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>

>> nvidia have not been into other than graphic chipsets.

> Oh! Who made the nForce chipset in the PC I'm posting this from then?

hmm, isnt the nForce 4 the best selling AMD-supporting chipset at the
moment?

Ray Greene

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
>can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
>nvidia nForce 220.

It mostly depends on your operating system, unless you need to access the
hard drive from a DOS boot disk. Have a look at the thread "Win2k biglba
support" from a few days ago.

My old Compaq 500 can see a 200GB drive OK after I changed the registry
setting mentioned in the other thread. I recently installed a version of
Linux on an ancient P150 and it sees a 200GB drive. (It's a very simple file
server on a boot CD from http://www.serverelements.com if anyone is
interested)

Neither machine will let me partition the hard drive from a Partition Magic
boot disk though, obviously PM needs the BIOS to see the drive correctly.

--
Ray Greene.

David

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:33:18 +1300, David
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
>>can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
>>nvidia nForce 220.

> It mostly depends on your operating system, unless you need to access the
> hard drive from a DOS boot disk. Have a look at the thread "Win2k biglba
> support" from a few days ago.
>
> My old Compaq 500 can see a 200GB drive OK after I changed the registry
> setting mentioned in the other thread. I recently installed a version of
> Linux on an ancient P150 and it sees a 200GB drive. (It's a very simple file
> server on a boot CD from http://www.serverelements.com if anyone is
> interested)
>
> Neither machine will let me partition the hard drive from a Partition Magic
> boot disk though, obviously PM needs the BIOS to see the drive correctly.

Thanks, I'm running XP SP2, so I shouldn't have a problem there.

David

David wrote:
> Before buying a 250gb hard drive, I would like to be sure that my system
> can handle it. Is there an easy way to find out? The chipset is an
> nvidia nForce 220.

Thanks for all the replies, HP replied to my query and it is supported.