Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Changing startup chkdsk operation

Changing startup chkdsk operation

Win2k

Is there any way to have chkdsk run in QUIET mode when it executes during
startup (as per the command-line option)? The reason I ask is because it will
take maybe 2 days to run to completion with the screwed up drive (145G
partition) I have. It prints out each cluster as it goes and there's maybe 2
million+ clusters.

Btw, is allowing chkdsk to run to completion in this situation a sure way to
make it impossible to salvage any data - and so should I forget about chkdsk
anyway? Or will it leave the disk in an improved state for data recovery?

(Btw, I started the thread "Win2k biglba support". THanks for the help. No
luck so far though.)

-=rjh=-

Win2k wrote:
> Is there any way to have chkdsk run in QUIET mode when it executes during
> startup (as per the command-line option)? The reason I ask is because it will
> take maybe 2 days to run to completion with the screwed up drive (145G
> partition) I have. It prints out each cluster as it goes and there's maybe 2
> million+ clusters.
>
> Btw, is allowing chkdsk to run to completion in this situation a sure way to
> make it impossible to salvage any data - and so should I forget about chkdsk
> anyway? Or will it leave the disk in an improved state for data recovery?

In my experience, it is vital *not* to do anything to the data on the
disk at all. Use a forensics distribution (there are some excellent free
tools around) to take an image of the partition and work on that. Do not
run chkdsk (especially chkdsk!) or even write to the drive (and that
means do not boot from it) if it has important data that you want to
recover. At least by taking an image you can afford to experiment with
ways of getting your data; if you are working on the original and you
make a mistake, you're hosed. If you run chkdsk you are probably already
hosed.

It is easy enough to write an image to another location on your network,
then work on that.

It is all a lot easier if you keep your partitions down to a manageable
size, too.