Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > root kit remover

root kit remover

Gordon

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:22:24 +0000, S Roby wrote:

> http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
>
> See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP
> Be carefull before you remove them, removing Sony rootkit may disable the CD.

But it can be restored, with some effort and know how.

See "sony music CD's might f*ck up..." thread in this ng recently. The
lURL suggested therein

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

S Roby

http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml

See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP
Be carefull before you remove them, removing Sony rootkit may disable the CD.

The Black Wibble

"S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iIEaf.677$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
>
> See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP

I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is decidedly
easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own firewall, MS
Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or spectacular. How others can
accumulate so much spyware/malware on their machines, I don't know... Some
people seem to have a special talent for it.

Tony.

The Black Wibble

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> "S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:iIEaf.677$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
>> >
>> > See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP

>> I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is decidedly
>> easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own firewall, MS
>> Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or spectacular. How others
>> can
>> accumulate so much spyware/malware on their machines, I don't know...
>> Some
>> people seem to have a special talent for it.

> It depends on the websites they visit.

Like what?

Tony.

Rob J

> "S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iIEaf.677$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
> >
> > See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP

> I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is decidedly
> easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own firewall, MS
> Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or spectacular. How others can
> accumulate so much spyware/malware on their machines, I don't know... Some
> people seem to have a special talent for it.

It depends on the websites they visit.

The Black Wibble

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <436f8f30$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> >
>> > It depends on the websites they visit.

>> Like what?
>>
>> Tony.
>>

> Read this little gem:
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...2005/june2.php

Yeah, being accommodating to ActiveX prompts is almost aways like inviting a
malware infestation, but ~it takes a dunderhead~ to do it. XP can't get
infected simply by visiting web sites; so provided one is not a dunderhead,
then XP is easy to keep free of malware.

Tony.

The Black Wibble

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <436f8f30$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

[...]
>> > It depends on the websites they visit.

>> Like what?

> Add to that, keeping the updates installed. Some site exploit bugs in
> Windows/IE to install stuff secretly. Porn sites are the worst.

Can you give an example? I'd prefer one with some good lesbian action.

Tony.

The Black Wibble

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zeObf.152662$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "The Black Wibble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:iIEaf.677$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try.shtml
>>>
>>> See what nasties are really hidden in your Win XP

>> I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is
>> decidedly easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own
>> firewall, MS Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or
>> spectacular. How others can accumulate so much spyware/malware on
>> their machines, I don't know... Some people seem to have a special
>> talent for it.

> Though simply trying to play the music on a Sony DRM music CD is enough to
> get a root kit installed on your PC. Your firewall wont stop that!

Although my anti-virus software may do. I read that it's good at detecting
programs trying to create global hooks, and it has caught rootkits. This
may be standard in with anti-virus progs. I'm not sure.

Tony.

MarkH

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Peter Huebner

In article <436f8f30$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > It depends on the websites they visit.

> Like what?
>
> Tony.

Read this little gem: