Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > root kit remover

root kit remover

Rob J

In article <436f8f30$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> "S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:iIEaf.677$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I predicted Blacklight would find none, and was right. XP is decidedly
> >> easy to protect and keep spick-and-span. I use the OS's own firewall, MS
> >> Anti-Spyware, and NOD32. Nothing magical or spectacular. How others
> >> can
> >> accumulate so much spyware/malware on their machines, I don't know...
> >> Some
> >> people seem to have a special talent for it.

> > It depends on the websites they visit.

> Like what?

Add to that, keeping the updates installed. Some site exploit bugs in
Windows/IE to install stuff secretly. Porn sites are the worst.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> In article <436f8f30$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > >
> > > It depends on the websites they visit.

> > Like what?
> >
> > Tony.
> >

> Read this little gem:
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...2005/june2.php

Had one recently had trojans all over the place and nasty messages
- Install all updates to Windows
- Firewall on
A lot of work on an old PC.

shannon

Rob J wrote:

> Add to that, keeping the updates installed. Some site exploit bugs in
> Windows/IE to install stuff secretly. Porn sites are the worst.

What bugs ?
And how do you know about the porn sites

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> In article <436f8f30$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > >
> > > It depends on the websites they visit.

> > Like what?
> >
> > Tony.
> >

> Read this little gem:
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...2005/june2.php

So it has nothing to do with websites visited then - but everything to
do with "social engineering" - ie is a user stupid enough to load
untrusted ActiveX controls.

--
Duncan

GraB

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 04:48:42 +1300, "The Black Wibble"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
>> In article <436f8f30$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>[...]
>>>
>>> Like what?

>> Add to that, keeping the updates installed. Some site exploit bugs in
>> Windows/IE to install stuff secretly. Porn sites are the worst.

>Can you give an example? I'd prefer one with some good lesbian action.
>
>Tony.

I would have thought warez sites were worse.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> So it has nothing to do with websites visited then - but everything to
> do with "social engineering" - ie is a user stupid enough to load
> untrusted ActiveX controls.

I suppose - that website is famour - American Pro Wrestling fan site.
So you think about it, who's going to visit? 12 year olds, and mental 12
year olds. Do they think if a little box pops up that says they need to
install an activex control to see the site?

I don't actually know if it can be engineered so the activex control in
question does not ask about being installed. I don't use msie 99.9% of
the time, I certainly have activex disabled as well as vb scripting and
all the rest. So do the people whose machines I service But it
wouldn't surprise me at all if some certificate could be faked, or the
site made to look as 'trusted' or some such trick, so the thing installs
without asking first. From what I've heard that is not impossible, but I
can't show any reference, I'm a little too tired tonight to go dig one
up.

cheers, -Peter