Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open Office 2

Open Office 2

Fran

shannon wrote:

> Fran wrote:
>> Bling Bling wrote:

>>>Base uses MySQL databases.
>>>
>>>Access uses dbase files.
>>>
>>>Which is the superior database?
>>>

>>>Bling Bling
>>>

>> This is a trick question isn't it.
>>
>> What colour are the MySQL and dBase files?
>>
>> Fran
>>

> The trick is that both statements are wrong.

Aahh...

not 'uses' but 'can use'.

Fran

Peter

Philip wrote:
> Incidentally, on the Planet Mirror download site as I download at no
> cost the latest Open Office version 2, a Google-placed ad for
> fishpond.co.nz offers tzo sell me Open Office 1.1.4 for $8.95. That'll
> teach them to rely on computers to place their ads...

Actually, it is probably quite good placing, because someone having wanting
a copy of OpenOffice but having difficulty downloading would probably be
interested in being able to buy a copy.

In general, I find the context sensitive Google ads to be ok. I'm reading a
web page because I have some interest in the content, and ads with this
content are often also of interest. Sometimes, these have brought up some
really useful stuff.

Peter

Bling Bling

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:16:59 +1300, shannon wrote:

>> This is a trick question isn't it.
>>
>> What colour are the MySQL and dBase files?
>>
>> Fran
>>

> The trick is that both statements are wrong.

Are you suggesting that OOo cannot natively use MySQL databases?

Bling Bling

--
Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

shannon

Bling Bling wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:16:59 +1300, shannon wrote:
>
>>> This is a trick question isn't it.
>>>
>>> What colour are the MySQL and dBase files?
>>>
>>> Fran
>>>

>> The trick is that both statements are wrong.

> Are you suggesting that OOo cannot natively use MySQL databases?
>

> Bling Bling

OpenOffice can use Oracle databases, but Oracle isn't the database
component of open office 2.0 either.

dbase isn't the MS Access file format.

Bling Bling

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:15:39 +1300, shannon wrote:

> OpenOffice can use Oracle databases, but Oracle isn't the database
> component of open office 2.0 either.

And neither does Oracle ship with most distributions of Linux.

MySQL does.

Why duplicate the effort? Why not simply use the excellent database that
is included with most distros of Linux?

Bling Bling

--
"Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful

shannon

Bling Bling wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:15:39 +1300, shannon wrote:
>
>> OpenOffice can use Oracle databases, but Oracle isn't the database
>> component of open office 2.0 either.

> And neither does Oracle ship with most distributions of Linux.
>
> MySQL does.
>
> Why duplicate the effort? Why not simply use the excellent database that
> is included with most distros of Linux?
>

> Bling Bling

Why not use the database included in Open Office 2.0
The vast majority of Open Office users are using it on Windows.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

OO2 will be on the December cover disk of PCWorld NZ

Bling Bling

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:34:22 +1300, shannon wrote:

> Why not use the database included in Open Office 2.0
> The vast majority of Open Office users are using it on Windows.

At the moment, true. In the future, most likely not.

Bling Bling

--

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:59:23 +1300, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> OO2 will be on the December cover disk of PCWorld NZ

Nice!

Bling Bling

--
Free Open Source software - it's not just about better code, as important as
that is. It's about better values, higher ethics.

shannon

Bling Bling wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:34:22 +1300, shannon wrote:
>

>>Why not use the database included in Open Office 2.0
>>The vast majority of Open Office users are using it on Windows.

> At the moment, true. In the future, most likely not.
>

> Bling Bling

Why ?
Is something going to stop them from using Open Office on Windows ?
I expect Open Office will eventually have about the same success on
Windows as Firefox.
The shift in sales from desktops to laptop systems between $1k and $2k5
has really consolidated Windows default OS position.