Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open Office 2

Open Office 2

Mercury

Quite.

This bit in particular: "BASE includes a full version of the HSQL database
engine, storing data in XML files".

IE it is not a DBMS.

"shannon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:436ada83$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mercury wrote:
>> OO does not have a database product. It has a thing called base that will
>> lead people to think they have a database when that is the last thing
>> they have.
>>

> I'm sure this is what you really meant to say.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/product2/base.html
>

> New to Version 2, BASE enables you to manipulate database data seamlessly
> within OpenOffice.org. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and
> reports, either using your own database or BASE’s own built-in HSQL
> database engine. BASE offers a choice of using Wizards, Design Views, or
> SQL Views for beginners, intermediate, and advanced users.
> Maintaining your data
>
> With BASE, you can:
>
> * Create new tables for your data - and also change them as your needs
> change
> * Maintain indexes on the tables to make data access faster
> * View a table in an editing grid and add, change, and delete records
> * Use the Report Wizard to produce impressive reports from your data
> * Use the Form Wizard to create 'instant' database applications
>
> Using your data
>
> Using BASE, you can not only browse your data, but also:
>
> * Perform simple (single column) or complex (multi-column) sorts
> * View subsets of your data with simple (one-click) or complex
> (logical query) filters
> * Create powerful queries to show your data in new ways, including
> summaries and multi-table views
> * Produce reports in a wide variety of formats using the Report
> AutoPilot
>
> Technical footnotes
>
> BASE includes a full version of the HSQL database engine, storing data in
> XML files. It can also access dBASE files natively for simple database
> work.
>
> For more advanced requirements, BASE supports many popular databases
> database natively (Adabas D, ADO, Microsoft Access, MySQL), or any
> database through industry-standard ODBC and JDBC drivers. It also supports
> any LDAP compliant address book, as well as common formats such as
> Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Windows, and Mozilla.

ChrisOD

In article <dkelup$uh2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mercury wrote:
> Quite.
>
> This bit in particular: "BASE includes a full version of the HSQL database
> engine, storing data in XML files".
>
> IE it is not a DBMS.

I think you left a letter out.
it is not a Rdbms.

Mercury

relational or not its marginal.

"ChrisOD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <dkelup$uh2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mercury wrote:
>> Quite.
>>
>> This bit in particular: "BASE includes a full version of the HSQL
>> database
>> engine, storing data in XML files".
>>
>> IE it is not a DBMS.
>>

> I think you left a letter out.
> it is not a Rdbms.

Fran

Mercury wrote:

> Quite.
>
> This bit in particular: "BASE includes a full version of the HSQL database
> engine, storing data in XML files".
>
> IE it is not a DBMS.

Just like Access.

In OpenOffice.org Base, you can access data that is stored in a wide variety
of database file formats. OpenOffice.org Base natively supports some flat
file database formats, such as the dBase format. You can also use
OpenOffice.org Base to connect to external relational databases, such as
databases from MySQL or Oracle.

Hmmm.
You can manage data that is in a database.
DataBase Management Thingy?
DBMT

Fran

Mercury

To the contrary. Access uses a proper DBMS structure, whereas Base uses XML.

"Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mercury wrote:
>
>> Quite.
>>
>> This bit in particular: "BASE includes a full version of the HSQL
>> database
>> engine, storing data in XML files".
>>
>> IE it is not a DBMS.

> Just like Access.
>

> In OpenOffice.org Base, you can access data that is stored in a wide
> variety
> of database file formats. OpenOffice.org Base natively supports some flat
> file database formats, such as the dBase format. You can also use
> OpenOffice.org Base to connect to external relational databases, such as
> databases from MySQL or Oracle.
>
> Hmmm.
> You can manage data that is in a database.
> DataBase Management Thingy?
> DBMT
>
> Fran

-=rjh=-

Mercury wrote:
> To the contrary. Access uses a proper DBMS structure, whereas Base uses XML.

Will Access continue with "a proper DBMS structure" (what you you mean
by this?) or will this change to (MS)XML in Office 12?

And hasn't the .odb (XML) document type been accepted by the ISO -
surely that indicates that it is suited to that use? Apart from OO.o,
Kexi is also using .odb - does Kexi meet your definition of being a
database, or DBMS?

> "Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Mercury wrote:
>>

>>>Quite.
>>>
>>>This bit in particular: "BASE includes a full version of the HSQL
>>>database
>>>engine, storing data in XML files".
>>>
>>>IE it is not a DBMS.

>>Just like Access.
>>

>>In OpenOffice.org Base, you can access data that is stored in a wide
>>variety
>>of database file formats. OpenOffice.org Base natively supports some flat
>>file database formats, such as the dBase format. You can also use
>>OpenOffice.org Base to connect to external relational databases, such as
>>databases from MySQL or Oracle.
>>
>>Hmmm.
>>You can manage data that is in a database.
>>DataBase Management Thingy?
>>DBMT
>>
>>Fran

Fran

Mercury wrote:

> To the contrary. Access uses a proper DBMS structure, whereas Base uses
> XML.

Access is/was a frontend for the Jet database engine.

Base is a front end for it's XML format and "external relational databases,
such as databases from MySQL or Oracle".

Just as Access can.

Fran

Bling Bling

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:51:49 +1300, Mercury wrote:

> To the contrary. Access uses a proper DBMS structure, whereas Base uses XML.

Base uses MySQL databases.

Access uses dbase files.

Which is the superior database?

Bling Bling

--
Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

Fran

Bling Bling wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:51:49 +1300, Mercury wrote:
>
>> To the contrary. Access uses a proper DBMS structure, whereas Base uses
>> XML.

> Base uses MySQL databases.
>
> Access uses dbase files.
>
> Which is the superior database?
>

> Bling Bling

This is a trick question isn't it.

What colour are the MySQL and dBase files?

Fran

shannon

Fran wrote:
> Bling Bling wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:51:49 +1300, Mercury wrote:
>>

>>>To the contrary. Access uses a proper DBMS structure, whereas Base uses
>>>XML.

>>Base uses MySQL databases.
>>
>>Access uses dbase files.
>>
>>Which is the superior database?
>>

>>Bling Bling
>>

> This is a trick question isn't it.
>
> What colour are the MySQL and dBase files?
>
> Fran

The trick is that both statements are wrong.