Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Oracle Database 10g given away for free

Oracle Database 10g given away for free

news.xtra.co.nz

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>
>> Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
>> software for free?

> I think the implications speak for themselves, wait a week or two to see
> if the free products are affected ... then download
>

> --
> Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
>
> The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

Well I don't really care. They will patch this eventually I would suppose.
Just like microsoft.

Surely if your machine is firewalled and you are only using this within the
'intranet' then there is no problem right?

Not Dave

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:41:06 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
growled these words from under a rock:

>>>Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
>>>software for free?

>> Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
>> commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
>> a threat.
>>
>> Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
>> longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
>> time.
>>
>> Well done Oracle, I say.

>I _think_ that the very same day that Oracle announce their software
>giveaway, is the day Oracle makes it to Security focus' frontpage because
>someone (in their omnipotent wisdom) has released source code for a
>working worm
>As can _clearly_ be seen by the articles I quoted from, all that is
>required for the worm to become malicious is to change the payload, so
>instead of making table x, shellcode (for example) is inserted

It is simply a worm that "scans for common username/password
combinations". That's not a vulnerability, that's a slack DBA.

>The _smart_ thing to do is to wait a few days for Oracle to respond to the
>flaws reported, and to patch them accordingly, or declare the 10g
>unaffected
>And _then_ download the products (saving a possible double-up)
>
>I do like how you turn a "heads up" into something personal

No, you posted those links in an attempt to discredit Oracle. Nice
attempt at a backtrack, though.

>though HOG, I

That's not the first time you've called me "HOG". Google Groups just
told me WTF you are on about, and I see that a while ago another
poster by the name of "HOG" also disagreed with you. I guess in your
black and white world that makes us the same person. Quite comical,
actually, and kind of proves my point.

For the record, however, I am not "HOG".

>have to say it really does show the strength(or lack there of) of your
>argument(s)
>Is this because youre a complete moron?

Hmm, personal abuse. Why don't you show the strength(or lack there of)
of my argument(s) by actually addressing them for a change, rather
than resorting to your usual abuse?

>You really have to wonder about some people

That you do.

news.xtra.co.nz

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> Brilliant move by oracle - while not cannibalizing their existing
>> customers (by restricting the product somewhat), but upskilling 1000's of
>> people in their software - many of whom will have future purchasing
>> authority.
>>
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof.../xe/index.html

> Not sure if it is brilliant or desperate....Oracle bought some software
> "critical" to Mysql, which is generally seen as a move to curtail mysql's
> growing market share.
>
> GPL (or similar licence) databases are coming....like MS and Linux the
> next battleground becomes the applications on top of the OS, databases are
> expensive and are a prime candidate for the good enough market.
>
> Oracle charges silly amounts for its software, something like $40k per
> cpu, ditto MS's SQL.
>
> Mysql on the other hand and a few others are free or just about free and
> you can buy support if needed and will do 50%+ of what most databases are
> used for.
>
> It will be interesting to watch........
>
> regards
>
> Thing

He he if you want to run 500 million dollars in annual sales through MySQL
then go for it.

Shane

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:05:25 +1300, Not Dave wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:41:06 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
> growled these words from under a rock:

>>> Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
>>> commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
>>> a threat.
>>>
>>> Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
>>> longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Well done Oracle, I say.

>>I _think_ that the very same day that Oracle announce their software
>>giveaway, is the day Oracle makes it to Security focus' frontpage because
>>someone (in their omnipotent wisdom) has released source code for a
>>working worm
>>As can _clearly_ be seen by the articles I quoted from, all that is
>>required for the worm to become malicious is to change the payload, so
>>instead of making table x, shellcode (for example) is inserted

> It is simply a worm that "scans for common username/password
> combinations". That's not a vulnerability, that's a slack DBA.

Did you perchance see the *other* vulnerability?
Yes, the one where the system users password is considered *extremely*
vulnerable?

>>The _smart_ thing to do is to wait a few days for Oracle to respond to
>>the flaws reported, and to patch them accordingly, or declare the 10g
>>unaffected
>>And _then_ download the products (saving a possible double-up)
>>
>>I do like how you turn a "heads up" into something personal

> No, you posted those links in an attempt to discredit Oracle. Nice
> attempt at a backtrack, though.

I beg your pardon, I posted those links as a heads up, nice try at putting
words into my mouth...again

>>though HOG, I

> That's not the first time you've called me "HOG". Google Groups just
> told me WTF you are on about, and I see that a while ago another poster
> by the name of "HOG" also disagreed with you. I guess in your black and
> white world that makes us the same person. Quite comical, actually, and
> kind of proves my point.

Funny how you present your arguments *precisely* as he did
gosh..

> For the record, however, I am not "HOG".

Riiiiiiiiiight

>>have to say it really does show the strength(or lack there of) of your
>>argument(s)
>>Is this because youre a complete moron?

> Hmm, personal abuse. Why don't you show the strength(or lack there of)
> of my argument(s) by actually addressing them for a change, rather than
> resorting to your usual abuse?

er.. you saying you werent engaging in personal abuse.. nice retract

Shall I actually address them by calling people commies?
Or should I go quiet when asked to back up my comments?
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....c22ce66?hl=en&
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....d64f4e9?hl=en&
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....fc2a066?hl=en&

>>You really have to wonder about some people

> That you do.

Not Dave

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:20:03 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
growled these words from under a rock:

>> No, you posted those links in an attempt to discredit Oracle. Nice
>> attempt at a backtrack, though.
>>

>I beg your pardon, I posted those links as a heads up, nice try at putting
>words into my mouth...again

Whatever. Someone said "Look, Oracle's giving something away for
free". You, probably not even knowing who Oracle are, replied with
"Yea, but look!! Vulnerabilities!!". [Verbatim].

>>>though HOG, I

>> That's not the first time you've called me "HOG". Google Groups just
>> told me WTF you are on about, and I see that a while ago another poster
>> by the name of "HOG" also disagreed with you. I guess in your black and
>> white world that makes us the same person. Quite comical, actually, and
>> kind of proves my point.
>>

>Funny how you present your arguments *precisely* as he did
>gosh..

Sounds like an intelligent fellow.

>> For the record, however, I am not "HOG".
>>

>Riiiiiiiiiight

Really, though, Shane, you are inconsequential. If you want to call me
hog, go right ahead. All it does is make you look like an idiot, since
I'm obviously not him.

>>>have to say it really does show the strength(or lack there of) of your
>>>argument(s)
>>>Is this because youre a complete moron?

>> Hmm, personal abuse. Why don't you show the strength(or lack there of)
>> of my argument(s) by actually addressing them for a change, rather than
>> resorting to your usual abuse?
>>

>er.. you saying you werent engaging in personal abuse.. nice retract
>
>Shall I actually address them by calling people commies?

I stated an opinion. Rather than addressing and debating that opinion,
*you* resorted to abuse. As usual.

>Or should I go quiet when asked to back up my comments?

Yes, you are right. I get bored sometimes trying to discuss things
with idiots and trolls who don't understand that people can have
opposing views, and sometimes just walk away.

Prime example:
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....fc2a066?hl=en&

This at the end of a thread when I have responded to posts you have
made that have really illustrated your black and white mind set by
pointing it out to you, only to be told to spend _my_ time coming up
with these examples - that I have directly pointed out each time!! And
in the same post you ask why I haven't given up in frustration and
walked away! And now you're making comments on the fact I did just
that!!!! Get with the programme, boy.

Bye, now.

Shane

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:06:03 +1300, Not Dave wrote:

> som utter crap.

Ooo look, snipped away the other links, the ones where you cant show a
single *instance* of your claims

Ah look, I posted factual goings on related directly to the OP to which
*you* respond
> Shane understands that commercial companies giving away solid,
> commercial software renders open source irrelevant, and are therefore
> a threat.

> Those that are not prepared to pay for quality commercial software no
> longer have to turn to the products made by hobbyists in their spare
> time.

>Well done Oracle, I say.

How is this _not_ a personal attack, how is this even remotely rebutting
my post, how is this intelligent?
In fact, this shows you *think* everything is an attack on your precious
*commercial companies*
You really have to grow up boy, this is the big bad world, mums not here
to look after you, and when theres an alert posted on security focus the
very same day Oracle releases a product, the _smart_ people wait for it
to a) patched, or b)declared unaffected
ps who funds Securityfocus?.. symantec ring any bell?.. nah cant be..
theyre a commercial organisation

Heres the funny thing, only 4 days ago I was posting about phpbb being a
security nightmare
Gosh.. does that mean Im anti OSS??????

Youre pathetic "Not Dave", and your little war is doing nothing
In fact..heres the best way to see the end of it
*plonk*

Steven H

Hello Not,

> A very interesting move. I wonder if Microsoft will make Access free
> in response?

msde (much better than access) is free and imsvho better than that primitave
version of mySQL that i played with, although i would say that - having sold
my soul to microsoft and all that ...

the only good thing about mySQL is its ****-easy to install, copy the executable
- msde (cut up version of sqls) involves an installer

> Which, of course, is about what it's worth, but that's a
> different thread...

now now.. be nice..

i have seen some highly polished programs done in access, of course the first
thing i said when i saw them was 'will i be converting this to .net' but
that is beside the point.

to thoes intrested the answer to my question was 'definately no'

----------------
the madGeek

Shane

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:01:40 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
>> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:58:16 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting, but I'm not sure how this relates to Oracle giving away it's
>>> software for free?

>> I think the implications speak for themselves, wait a week or two to see
>> if the free products are affected ... then download
>>

>> --
>> Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
>>
>> The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
>>

> Well I don't really care. They will patch this eventually I would suppose.
> Just like microsoft.

Yeah eventually.. with something like this you'd hope sooner rather than
later

> Surely if your machine is firewalled and you are only using this within the
> 'intranet' then there is no problem right?

The 'ideal' testing situation would have to be a standalone machine,
with no network connections, the next step up would be a machine behind
another machine acting as a firewall, and limiting outbound as well as
inbound

Definitely for testing purposes have a good look at it, just keep in mind
all the 'gotchas' should you like it and want to take it to production
level

Not Dave

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:08:29 +1300, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
growled these words from under a rock:

>*plonk*

Hooray!!!!

Not Dave

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:24:01 +0000 (UTC), Steven H
<(E-Mail Removed)> growled these words from under a rock:

>Hello Not,
>
>> A very interesting move. I wonder if Microsoft will make Access free
>> in response?

>msde (much better than access) is free and imsvho better than that primitave
>version of mySQL that i played with, although i would say that - having sold
>my soul to microsoft and all that ...

True, actually.

>the only good thing about mySQL is its ****-easy to install, copy the executable
>- msde (cut up version of sqls) involves an installer

Actually, the best thing about mySQL is that it a very lite and fast
DBMS designed to work on pretty average hardware. It lacks anything
resembling an "advanced" function, but is perfect for web stuff (small
to medium sites).

Obviously it's nowhere near the same league as Oracle, or even MSSQL.

>> Which, of course, is about what it's worth, but that's a
>> different thread...

>now now.. be nice..
>
>i have seen some highly polished programs done in access, of course the first
>thing i said when i saw them was 'will i be converting this to .net' but
>that is beside the point.

See, I don't think Access is a suitable basis for commercial software,
and hence I have a hard time giving a good rating to software
utilising it. Just my opinion, of course, but it is somewhat, um,
flakey?