Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > BGP Table growing

BGP Table growing

Gary

We take several upstream connections via BGP and notice the number of routes
growing rapidly. It was around 160-170K 6 months ago and is now 182K and
growing.

Should we really keep all of these routes or is there som sensible way to
keep say 150K of the most common and a default route for the rest?

Thanks
Gary

www.networking-forum.com

Are you concerned about the memory on your router? What type of router
and how much DRAM does it have installed? Are you using
soft-reconfiguration?
Depending on your providers, you could ask for partials + a default
route. You will lose some load-balancing though.

Regards,
Steve
http://www.networking-forum.com

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> We take several upstream connections via BGP and notice the number of
> routes growing rapidly. It was around 160-170K 6 months ago and is now
> 182K and growing.
>
> Should we really keep all of these routes or is there som sensible way to
> keep say 150K of the most common and a default route for the rest?
>
> Thanks
> Gary

Merv

I would consider implemnting NETFLOW AS aggregation to see to which ASs
the majority of your data flows. Those ASs would be the ones whose BGP
routes you should accept in case you want to move away from full routes.

Gary

"Merv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I would consider implemnting NETFLOW AS aggregation to see to which ASs
> the majority of your data flows. Those ASs would be the ones whose BGP
> routes you should accept in case you want to move away from full routes.

We run 6500's with lots of memory but just trying to ease the load. yes we
do use soft configuration.

Thanks
Gary

Merv

Moving to partial + default would require some careful planning.

Who would generate default - local or ISP received via BGP

If ISP how does ISP generate - if from POP router only - blackhole
scenario if POP becomes partioned from ISP's network ...

Vincent C Jones

Merv wrote:

> Moving to partial + default would require some careful planning.
>
> Who would generate default - local or ISP received via BGP
>
> If ISP how does ISP generate - if from POP router only - blackhole
> scenario if POP becomes partioned from ISP's network ...

My preferred approach in this situation is to accept full routes but filter
them to a path length of two or three AS. I also let in a few "far" routes
which I use to determine that the POP has connectivity to the Internet and
can be used as a default route. This lets in "local" routes while avoiding
trying to keep the entire routing table in memory. It won't help you if you
need to use "soft reconfiguration."

Good luck and have fun!

http://www.networkingunlimited.com

jbrunner007@hotmail.com

i cant wait until IPV6 takes hold...
we will probably have like 182k per city.. cisco needs that 1TB ram
router yesterday!
LOL