Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ubuntu Linux

Ubuntu Linux

CyiPherX

So, who else in the group is using Ubuntu??.

A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html

So after reading through the forums and learning what i could i downloaded
the iso, and loaded up Ubuntu on to my notebook.

Well it totally blew me away!, all my devices were configured out of the
box!, the only device that failed to work was the sd card reader, no big
deal their.
When i had windows xp installed, i had to install around 7 drivers to get
everything to work.

Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.

I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
not in windows.

Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.

CyiPherX

PAM.

"CyiPherX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
> with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
> idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html

Maybe you'd prefer Kubuntu?

PAM.

shannon

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:48:51 +1300, PAM. wrote:

> "CyiPherX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
>> with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
>> http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
>> idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
>>

> Maybe you'd prefer Kubuntu?
>
> PAM.

No problemo, from ubuntu you just open synaptic and select kubuntu-desktop
and it installs kubuntu.

thing2

CyiPherX wrote:
> So, who else in the group is using Ubuntu??.
>
> A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
> with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
> idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
>
> So after reading through the forums and learning what i could i downloaded
> the iso, and loaded up Ubuntu on to my notebook.
>
> Well it totally blew me away!, all my devices were configured out of the
> box!, the only device that failed to work was the sd card reader, no big
> deal their.
> When i had windows xp installed, i had to install around 7 drivers to get
> everything to work.
>
> Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
> able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.
>
> I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
> not in windows.

XP is getting a bit long in the tooth.

> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
>
> CyiPherX

I moved to Linux desktop 18 months ago. There is little day-to-day I
cannot do. Some things are Autocad, games, movie editing that I simply
dual boot for....but this is < 1% or my time and hardly core uses.

regards

Thing

Chris Hope

Allistar wrote:

[snip]

> The features I find essential (to what I do - software development) in
> Linux/KDE that are missing in Windows are:
>
> - an advanced shell. grep, sed, ssh, scp, lynx, wget etc.

There's always Cygwin.

> - multiple desktops

Yep, I can't live without these (well that might be a slight
exaggeration). I once tried some tool in Windows to see if I could
implement mutiple desktops like in X and it worked, but all the
applications were still in the taskbar no matter which desktop I was
on, and there didn't seem to be a way to alter the behaviour, so I
didn't find it all that useful.

> - KIOslaves (in particular fish)
> - ssh (and in particular ssh tunelling - great for beating the
> corporate firewall)

There's Putty which is pretty useful. There's corporate network I need
to VPN into but the software only works on my Windows box. So I create
tunnels through Putty and can access the stuff I need to on my Linux
box.

> - SuperKaramba.

Haven't had a chance to play with that but it looks pretty cool.

> - A *lot* more configuration options. Want windows unders the mouse to
> gain focus? No problem. Want to decide what double clicking on a
> window title bar does? No problem.

I wonder if they're implementing stuff like this in Vista?

> - choice. Want a different window manager? No problem. Don't want a
> gui at all? No problem. Want to compile your application to target
> your particlar hardware? No problem.
>
> I, for one, won't be going back.

Allistar

CyiPherX wrote:

> So, who else in the group is using Ubuntu??.
>
> A couple of weeks back i decided to see what all the fuss was about
> with Linux, i read up on the distro's, and found the Ubuntu website
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org after reading their site, i liked the whole
> idea of Ubuntu http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
>
> So after reading through the forums and learning what i could i downloaded
> the iso, and loaded up Ubuntu on to my notebook.
>
> Well it totally blew me away!, all my devices were configured out of the
> box!, the only device that failed to work was the sd card reader, no big
> deal their.
> When i had windows xp installed, i had to install around 7 drivers to get
> everything to work.
>
> Since i dont use any software that ties me to the windows platform, i was
> able to do everything in Ubuntu that i use to do under windows.
>
> I was really quite amazed to find a lot of features in Ubuntu that were
> not in windows.
>
> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
>
> CyiPherX

The features I find essential (to what I do - software development) in
Linux/KDE that are missing in Windows are:

- an advanced shell. grep, sed, ssh, scp, lynx, wget etc.
- multiple desktops
- KIOslaves (in particular fish)
- ssh (and in particular ssh tunelling - great for beating the corporate
firewall)
- SuperKaramba.
- A *lot* more configuration options. Want windows unders the mouse to gain
focus? No problem. Want to decide what double clicking on a window title
bar does? No problem.
- choice. Want a different window manager? No problem. Don't want a gui at
all? No problem. Want to compile your application to target your particlar
hardware? No problem.

I, for one, won't be going back.

Allistar.

grumpyoldhori

CyiPherX wrote:

> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
>
> CyiPherX

The grumpyoldhori has moved to Suse,only two things a pain,
wireless and video player.
grumpy

CyiPherX

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:17:30 +1300, thing2 wrote:

SNIP

> XP is getting a bit long in the tooth.
>
>> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
>> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
>> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
>>
>> CyiPherX

> I moved to Linux desktop 18 months ago. There is little day-to-day I
> cannot do. Some things are Autocad, games, movie editing that I simply
> dual boot for....but this is < 1% or my time and hardly core uses.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I like the use of .png icons on the desktop and being able to resize the
icons on the fly.
Most of all i like the Synaptic Package manager that installs software for
you in pretty much one click really, and then lets you know automatically
when their is an update ready to install.

Oh an the fact that i dont have to worry about the virus/sypware/trojan
issue anymore etc etc...

CyiPherX

CyiPherX

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:15:51 +1200, grumpyoldhori wrote:

> CyiPherX wrote:
>

>> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
>> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
>> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
>>
>> CyiPherX

> The grumpyoldhori has moved to Suse,only two things a pain,
> wireless and video player.
> grumpy

Wireless worked for me straight out of the box, no drivers, no setup, just
gave it my wep key and i was connected!.

Video and audio are working fine since i installed the various codecs ,
perhaps thats what you need?

CyiPherX

MarkH

grumpyoldhori <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3Nbaf.404$xD6.23178
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> CyiPherX wrote:
>

>> Anyway not trying to start any (only looneys use lunix) type replys- yes
>> that is for you Roger, but just wondering how other people that have
>> decided to make the switch to Ubuntu from windows xp have found it.
>>
>> CyiPherX

> The grumpyoldhori has moved to Suse,only two things a pain,
> wireless and video player.
> grumpy

I use SUSE on several PCs and have no problem playing videos. In fact in
often play videos on one screen while doing stuff on another PC on the
other screen.

The procedure for playing videos on SUSE is as follows:

Install SUSE
Go to YaST and add the packman site (or a mirror) to your installation
source.
Go to software management (it will have a different name if using older
than SUSE 10) and install MPlayer (YaST will also add other stuff like
required CoDecs).
Play videos (I prefer to use MPlayer for this)

For adding the packman site check here:
http://www.opensuse.org/Additional_Y...External_YaST_
Repositories

(sorry about the wrap)